Interesting Read about 3.5 Ecoboost timing chain issues taking out engines.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
A long read, the collective knowledge on BITOG is fairly high, this will matter to people on here. Weak timing chains are stretching and taking out the water pump bearing. Since the water pump is so stupidly placed within the oiling system on certain engines (not trucks fortunately) antifreeze can get into the oil. Doesn't seem to a common problem, yet. I was unaware of the weaker chains in the 2010 models.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3758921/1

Last edited:

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
This reminds me of the 3rd gen SHO with its camshaft sprocket that liked to take a walk causing the engine to go bye bye.

mrlrd1

Established Member
I've done a few water pumps on the N/A 3.5s - all were right around 80K miles and were leaking from the weep hole in the side of the block. I have never seen any timing component failures other than the early build VCT actuators.

The entire 3.5/3.7 accessory drive was designed by morons.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I've done a few water pumps on the N/A 3.5s - all were right around 80K miles and were leaking from the weep hole in the side of the block. I have never seen any timing component failures other than the early build VCT actuators.

The entire 3.5/3.7 accessory drive was designed by morons.

Bet it gets redesigned with the new 3.5 coming out next year.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
I tend to post there a lot, same screenname, and the knowledge there is amazing.

I've been on there for years but I don't post very often. I can only take so much oil talk but I appreciate the depth in the discussions.

mrlrd1

Established Member
Bet it gets redesigned with the new 3.5 coming out next year.

With Ford's engineers on the job, it will likely get worse. Like the stretch belt water pumps on the 3.0s. Nothing like being forced to turn a DOHC engine BACKWARDS to install a belt. Only Ford :lol1:

Spudz

Established Member
Is this an issue that can potentially carry over to the newer model years? Or have there been tweaks/fixes to mitigate it?

I just purchased a Transit with the 3.5L and only afterward have started reading up on the engine's potential problems. I figured, at time of purchase, that with the ecoboost out for so many years, they had to have ironed out everything by now.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Is this an issue that can potentially carry over to the newer model years? Or have there been tweaks/fixes to mitigate it?

I just purchased a Transit with the 3.5L and only afterward have started reading up on the engine's potential problems. I figured, at time of purchase, that with the ecoboost out for so many years, they had to have ironed out everything by now.

That's the truck version, which is a bit different.

4a7191a

Established Member
Reminds me of the evoX timing chains. They had stretch issues and then if they went to far it would end up with bad results. If the owner was lucky the service engine light would come on for it. It would toss the mivac off enough to register a problem.

01turbowolf

ford tech
Established Member
The rwd version is quite different, it has a belt driven water pump. I have seen a few of the N/A 3.5 water pumps fail like this and it is not pretty, it immediately fills the crankcase full of coolant and can eat into the front cover, haven't had one throw a chain yet though. The best warning sign you get from those is the engine over heating, you really don't hear it until it's way too late

Users who are viewing this thread