Interesting Dilemma

gilby959798

Wyatt's daddy!
Established Member
Well I decided that I wanted to buy a new truck, found one in my price range (08 F250 Powerstroke, CCSB, King Ranch 4x4) and wanted to go look at it and my wife says I don't need another truck. My 2000 has 317k miles and the rust is getting pretty bad but ok. She says that if i sell 2 of my other vehicles (95 Mark VIII and 97 Mountaineer) but keep the truck I can get a GT500. I am torn on what to do because I do want a GT500 but I have a Cobra in the garage already. It isnt leaving either. I also really like the truck and it would be more useful for me. She just landed a full time decent paying job in her field so we have some extra play money. The GT500 isnt at all practical but we dont have kids so it would do.

What would you guys do?

Ironhand

Banned
I would dump the 95 & 97 and get the GT-500.

Then offload the 98 Cobra and get a new truck. I wouldnt get a King Ranch tho.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
I would invest or save the money for when you really may need it. Sounds like you have plenty enough 4-wheeled toys to keep you happy.

Just my 2 cents.

U.M.

gilby959798

Wyatt's daddy!
Established Member
luckily I have a damn good job and am investing still. Buying this car would not stop the investing. Getting rid of the 98 isn't an option either. It has some sentimental value to it. The goal is to get rid of some vehicles this year and update. I have everything paid off except the house and feel like I deserve something a little newer. I got the wife a newer vehicle last year and kept the old stuff, since she got a full time job she is allowing me to have a little fun for now.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

megameGT500

Suck it up and drive on!!
Established Member
Dump all, except the 98 Cobra. Get the GT500 and live life rough for a year. Eventually, your wife will mention that getting rid of the trucks was not a good idea and you tell her that it is a little late... or whatever. Then steer the conversation so that she tells you that you need a truck and that since this was all her idea that you can keep the GT500 and the 98 Cobra AND get a new truck.:thumbsup:

luckily I have a damn good job and am investing still. Buying this car would not stop the investing. Getting rid of the 98 isn't an option either. It has some sentimental value to it. The goal is to get rid of some vehicles this year and update. I have everything paid off except the house and feel like I deserve something a little newer. I got the wife a newer vehicle last year and kept the old stuff, since she got a full time job she is allowing me to have a little fun for now.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
rhino line your 317k mile truck to prolong, get 2013 gt500 and get rid of the other slow stuff....why are you attached to a 98 cobra?

ur bittn

By the snake
Established Member
Get the new truck, i would think twice about the diesel though.
thumbnail.aspx

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
^HOLY CRAP! i didnt know diesel was that high. i think around me its still hovering in the $3.90 range.

gilby959798

Wyatt's daddy!
Established Member
I would be all for keeping the current truck but it has some rust on the cab corners and bedside. The 98 was the car my dad and I spent a lot of time together on. In Ohio I can get rid if everything because I won't drive the 500 or cobra in the winter. The truck runs like a champ and diesel is what it is. In my area it's almost the same as premium. she knows I want a 500 that's why she brought it up.

gilby959798

Wyatt's daddy!
Established Member
rhino line your 317k mile truck to prolong, get 2013 gt500 and get rid of the other slow stuff....why are you attached to a 98 cobra?

don't want to spend the coin on a brand new 500. I'm looking at 08-10A.D...

SomeSoldier

I wanna go fast.
Established Member
Being in Ohio, me from NY, I know you get snow there. You have plenty of summer time toys and your Winter DD 317k miles might need to be replaced. I would say get the truck and worry about the GT500 next year. Wait for the 2014 to come out.

NC85

Lurker for Life
Established Member
Get some pants because it sounds like she's wearing yours.

I'm married too but I don't get "the wife says I can get this or that after you get rid of this deal"

I told my wife I was buying another toy last year and the only thing she said was "i'm glad for you and get what you want."

LS2GTO

Established Member
WTF is up with this "if you do x I will LET you do y"? Do you not have any sort of income and this is all her money you would be spending? Is your family going hungry and without a safe roof over their head?

If this is her money then that's ok...if you guys are struggling to get by on the very basic of living necessities that's ok...but if you make your own money and you guys are comfortable otherwise then tell her to STFU and you can do whatever you want with money you have earned.

I know it may be easier and simpler for you to just follow what your wife lets you do, but seriously grow a pair and do what you want and can afford...

I got the wife a newer vehicle last year and kept the old stuff, since she got a full time job she is allowing me to have a little fun for now.

Not only that, but she got a new car herself.

And again with the allowing...she sounds more like your mom than a spouse. My mom would "allow" me to go to my friend's house when I was 14, my mom would "allow" me to stay out past my curfew. A wife is not a mom and does not need to allow you to do stuff, you are still your own person correct? A marriage is an equal commitment between two adults correct?

Last edited:

Stinger2011

Established Member
I'd keep what I got now, save up a little more money and try again. Either that or look for an older, but still low mileage truck. Not likely, though, I guess.

TorchMach

Established Member
Get some pants because it sounds like she's wearing yours.

I'm married too but I don't get "the wife says I can get this or that after you get rid of this deal"

I told my wife I was buying another toy last year and the only thing she said was "i'm glad for you and get what you want."

I LOL'ed

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Dump everything but the cobra, buy 1500$ 4x4 explorer and save money up for a new toy?

Users who are viewing this thread