Interesting article

R1Lello

Established Member
SVTCobra96 said:
From 80-160? Sure.You got it. You won't like seeing my tail lights though :banana:

40-120, 60-160...........who cares...............don't underestimate this litre bike or any of the new ones. I'm not 18, been around, had many toys and live at the 1/4 mile track..............no sweat on my forehead believe me. Hopefully I'll be back to Murtle Beach this summer............you're a little further. We may have to stay in touch and meet at the track. I don't street race.........just not worth it :rolling:

Last edited:

R1Lello

Established Member
SVTCobra96 said:
High 12's wasn't a cheapshot at the car, merely the people that were jumping all over each other about that 11 second rumor. I've always said the car will do low - mid 12's, and I still stand by that prediction.

Now, is $40k worth a Shelby name and a few tenths faster than a stock Terminator?

Well, if you expanded you're post, there may not have been any cheapshots by anyone here. If in fact you stand by your predictions, then cheers to you because I agree and think you are 100% correct.

Worth it, to me yes, I'm in the market, like it, can afford it, and need the rear seats for my wife and son every now and then. Few tenths?? Maybe, maybe not, could be more but i mod anyways, everything I own never stays stock. Warranty?? I care about warranty for six months as most bugs occur in the beginning and even then, I try to avoid any service dept. I do most of my own work and/or use good mustang resources.

Peace out. :rolling:

Captain Beyond

Established Member
GTSpartan said:
Just one question,

Was there this much hatred and disappointment when the '03 cobra came out?

BTW, this is meant as a serious question

Yes, there was the same jealousy and hatred by some (not all) 99/01 Cobra owners before the Terminators came out. I remember hearing the same arguments. They said that their cars would outperform the Terminators because they were lighter. :whine: Boy, were they in for a surprise and brought back down to reality. :-D
Expect the same to happen when the GT500 arrives. :beer:

R1Lello

Established Member
Captain Beyond said:
Yes, there was the same jealousy and hatred by some (not all) 99/01 Cobra owners before the Terminators came out. I remember hearing the same arguments. They said that their cars would outperform the Terminators because they were lighter. :whine: Boy, were they in for a surprise and brought back down to reality. :-D
Expect the same to happen when the GT500 arrives. :beer:

+ 1

Captain Beyond

Established Member
Formula51 said:
What was Fords official time for the 03/04 Cobras? Would be interesting to see how close Fords times are to what the car is capable of.

I believe Ford quoted a 12.9 for the Terminators before they came out. I have to go dig up my SVT literature collection. Ford's #s have always been on the conservative side.

Last edited:

Captain Beyond

Established Member
DBK said:
And this subforum continues to attract douchebags like moths to a flame. If you don't like the car, stay the **** out. Christ. Is that so hard to comprehend? :bored:

+1 :beer:

07 Shelby

Established Member
SVTCobra96 said:
That's cool, and we all have our differences and I don't have a problem with that. I'm just sick of hearing how the Shelby is gods gift to Mustangs. All i said was "High 12's? ouch" mostly in refference to how everyone was all over this car runnin 11's because of that one report. Then someone took a cheapshot at my car, which is funny because their are never going to be many shelby's that can even hang close to me, especially while they remain uner warrenty and if people keep them stock or close to stock because they think they'll be a collectors car one day.

And you're right, M5 and AMG guys are pretty bad, but I assure you smoking them is fun as hell too as they're dumbfounded how a lowly mustang could rock them that hard.

Hey, can't we all just get along? :bash:
I really can't believe that this is a pro Mustang Site!! :bs:
There are a couple of 'overly motivated' Cobra/Terminator Guys here slamming the SVT Shelby as if it were something other than a Ford. You don't hear us Shelby Guys bragging about "how the Shelby is gods gift to Mustangs", at all. Yes, we're pretty excited about the car! Why not? It's almost Christmas! I like getting Toys, don't you?
We post photos, specs, information, etc,.. in this Forum to keep each other up to date on what's happening with the car. Same as You other SVT Guys do in Your Forums. The difference is, as soon as We do so, along comes a guaranteed Slam of the Shelby. That's fine, you're certainly entitled to Your opinion. It's when we try and defend the negative comments that the bullshit starts. That's all we're doing, defending the car, not Bragging about it. Give it a Rest Already! We'll see what happens when the car hits the streets................. :thumbsup:

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
mattsstang87 said:
I think it was 13 something. I know that my 2000 Lightning was rated at a mid 14 stock from Ford. What a JOKE! :burnout: :D

lol yeah didn't they say the mach 1 was runnin 14's also? LOL

To expand, whoever said Ford underates is 100% right. They listed the 96-98 Cobra at 14.0 and I ran 13.7 when it was 100% stock down to the tires and air filter, with no launch and no powershifting. There's so many examples of this...

Last edited:

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
SVTCobra96 said:
Now, is $40k worth a Shelby name and a few tenths faster than a stock Terminator?

Maybe not, but I do know it's worth more than a 96 Cobra :rolleyes:

Face it, you thought you'd be cute with the little high 12's dig, then you started a tangential one man circle jerk about your 96 when people you knew would take offense did.

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
DBK said:
Maybe not, but I do know it's worth more than a 96 Cobra :rolleyes:

Face it, you thought you'd be cute with the little high 12's dig, then you started a tangential one man circle jerk about your 96 when people you knew would take offense did.

See? This is what I mean.

Sure, the Shelby will be worth quite a bit more when it first comes out, but in 30 years will there be much of a difference? Maybe, but I don't think so really.

Sounds to me like you got offended because the reality of this car is it's not going to hang with the new z06, or the srt10 vipers, or all the hype about how fast it's gonna be is and you're killin the messenger so to speak.

Anyway, I'd buy a Shelby if I didn't think they were so damn ugly cause that engine is kickass to say the least, although they could work on the weight issue :poke:

And at the end of the day, I have a low 10 second streetable Cobra so wtf do I care?

Last edited:

TORQUERULES

Established Member
SVTCobra96 said:
High 12's wasn't a cheapshot at the car, merely the people that were jumping all over each other about that 11 second rumor. I've always said the car will do low - mid 12's, and I still stand by that prediction.

Yes, when you can get a bigger motor with better heads, better chassis with more stiffness and better handling, better looks, and better rear axle that will stand up to A LOT of abuse.

A lot of that weight issue can be taken car of. Call BMR.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
SVTCobra96 said:
See? This is what I mean.

Sure, the Shelby will be worth quite a bit more when it first comes out, but in 30 years will there be much of a difference? Maybe, but I don't think so really.

Sounds to me like you got offended because the reality of this car is it's not going to hang with the new z06, or the srt10 vipers, or all the hype about how fast it's gonna be is and you're killin the messenger so to speak.

Anyway, I'd buy a Shelby if I didn't think they were so damn ugly cause that engine is kickass to say the least, although they could work on the weight issue :poke:

And at the end of the day, I have a low 10 second streetable Cobra so wtf do I care?

I don't know how anyone can say that any Mustang of the previous 32 years are better looking than the new Gen 'Stangs.

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
mattsstang87 said:
I don't know how anyone can say that any Mustang of the previous 32 years are better looking than the new Gen 'Stangs.

Because we all have our own tastes. Personally, I like the look of the 96-98's the best, minus the straight on from the back look, I think it looks a little wimpy, and I totally dig the 99+ backends. Other than that, 96-98's are just more sleak and curvey, just looks the best IMO. I also think fox's are ugly as sin, so....

jean

Established Member
R1Lello said:
:beer: Well said !! Some people do want the 2 rear seats, even if they are smaller
Same for me with my dog.
How you can buy a car without reading any review?

Formula51

Established Member
Captain Beyond said:
I believe Ford quoted a 12.9 for the Terminators before they came out. I have to go dig up my SVT literature collection. Ford's #s have always been on the conservative side.

Interesting. That would mean Ford reps are predicting this car in the neighborhood of the 03/04 Cobra as far as "quoted" 1/4 mile performance. With the cost, the name, and the hype I am sure it will be quoted atleast a touch faster. So if Ford reps are saying high 12's and the 03/04 Cobra was 12.9 then we are looking at maybe 12.8 or 12.7???? This is just an educated guess but Ford is certainly not making any bold claims stating "high 12's". They could be playing it very conservative because of all the hype though. Certainly intereting.

Captain Beyond

Established Member
Formula51 said:
Interesting. That would mean Ford reps are predicting this car in the neighborhood of the 03/04 Cobra as far as "quoted" 1/4 mile performance. With the cost, the name, and the hype I am sure it will be quoted atleast a touch faster. So if Ford reps are saying high 12's and the 03/04 Cobra was 12.9 then we are looking at maybe 12.8 or 12.7???? This is just an educated guess but Ford is certainly not making any bold claims stating "high 12's". They could be playing it very conservative because of all the hype though. Certainly intereting.

It doesn't mean anything. Ford always plays it conservative. Remember the Mach 1, Terminator and even the Ford GT? Come on Formula, do you really think the GT500 will only run a 12.8 or 12.7? Stock Terminators have gone mid 12s. Expect the Shelby to be faster. Every newer generation Cobra has been faster than the last. 5.4 > 4.6. :coolman:

Formula51

Established Member
Captain Beyond said:
It doesn't mean anything. Ford always plays it conservative. Remember the Mach 1, Terminator and even the Ford GT? Come on Formula, do you really think the GT500 will only run a 12.8 or 12.7? Stock Terminators have gone mid 12s. Expect the Shelby to be faster. Every newer generation Cobra has been faster than the last. 5.4 > 4.6. :coolman:

You are misunderstanding my post. I am simply saying that this article leads me to believe that Ford will "quote" the car at a 12.7 or 12.8. Therefore, one could say the Terminator quoted at 12.9 was capable of a 12.5 with an excellent driver and conditions so the GT500 could be capable of low 12's by that reasoning. Of course Ford could be sandbaging the GT500 more so than they did the Terminator and the car might touch the high 11's many are hoping for, but I really believe it is going to need tires to even have a chance at that.

I think that with tires, CAI, exhaust and gears almost any driver will be able to achieve 11's in this car. Now that is impressive!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread