Interest on a GB for Gord's Heat Exchanger

KBR

Established Member
I got the Gord's larger model for my build. I opted for no stencil for stealth/oem look.
FYI I was told install was not that easy by my mechanic. He said it was hard to secure reusing factory hardware and supplied kit, and coolant lines needed to be modified so they are not kinked.

Talleywacker

Established Member
Dang I should of bookmarked this thread. I was going to buy then couldn't find this thread for the life of me UGH.

srdigital

Established Member
here's what Gord emailed me:

• So, option B is available as a dual-pass design? Would you recommend this over single pass?

We will do a dual pass if the customer really wants it. The dual pass can offer some advantage if part of the HE unit is shielded behind the bumper as in the large GT500 units and if you have sufficient flow channels to accommodate and not impede the flow volume through the HE. Also for tall units such as a full size radiator where it helps to even the flow and minimize stratification of the flows. In the case of the 03/04 Cobra HE’s that are below the front bumper level the dual pass actually is less efficient than a single pass. There is greater flow resistance since the flows must squeeze through the top half first with ½ the flow path area and then back through the bottom half again with half the flow path area. This will result in higher velocity but less volume. Also there is heat transfer from the top hot half into the end tanks and along the top of the bottom half. The end tank on the inlet and outlet end is divided by an aluminum plate and the outlet coolant will be reheated by the hot side above, from the incoming fluid. So we strongly recommend a single pass for the 03/04 Cobra HE units.

• What is the surface area difference between the option B unit and a GT500 heat exchanger?

Answered in the previous email.

• Surface area aside, what are your thoughts on your units single-pass vs dual-pass? My understanding is that higher flow rates are ideal – wouldn’t a dual pass have a higher fluid velocity vs a single? Is this velocity difference offset by the larger surface area of your unit?

Mainly answered above. Yes there is higher velocity but less flow volume. With the single pass there is sufficient velocity to create some turbulence in the flow through the tubes but a higher flow volume. Our HE’s feature larger end tanks than the competitors also which helps in increasing the system volume and helps to decrease any stratification in the flow to equalize flows through all the tubes.

• Also, in regards to ‘the monster’ – does this unit require modification of the car in order to mount? I understand you are still working out the kinks . . .

It will require two 0r three holes drilled and some Rivet- nut inserts installed in the bottom of the front bumper beam on each end and some re-shaping of the small support tube that runs up from the radiator front shell to the hood latch plate. Will also require temporarily removing the front bumper cover. I got sidetracked with my GT40 project and my GT500 but am getting back to the 03 Cobra now.

srdigital

Established Member
continued:

GordsFord 03/04 Cobra – Option B - With or without dual SPAL fans - full core is directly exposed to airflow through lower Grille

Overall length 30.87", overall depth 7.2"

Core open face dimensions 27.5" X 6.4" = 176 sq in. (open face area that air can flow through)

Number of core tubes = 14 rows X 2 tubes = 28 tubes . Bottom row of tubes has partial shrouding of fins by bottom cap and effectively is 3/4 X 2 tubes = 1.5 tubes ( effectively loses only 1/2 of a tube).

Total effective cooling tubes = 27.5 tubes.

Core thickness = 2.2"

Exposed face Core volume = 27.5" X 6.4" X 2.2" = 387.2 cu in = 2.6 X stock capacity and 1.47 X AFCO Pro GT500, 1.33 X C&R/Shelby and 1.25 X VMP/Steeda

Inlet/Outlet – Standard are ¾”. Available as 1” or 1.25” single pass, double pass, "Twin Flow" for two IC pumps, back or side inlet/outlet.

Available with a number of custom mounts to fit numerous applications.

SPAL fans are 6.5" dia with flow capacity of 330 CFM each

AFCO Pro – GT 500 unit with or without dual 10” SPAL fans

Overall length 26.25", overall depth 11.25"

Core open face dimensions 23.5" X 10.25" = 241 sq in. (open face area that air can flow through)

Number of core tubes = 24 rows X 1 tube = 24 tubes . Bottom and top row of tubes have more than 1/2 shrouding of fins by top and bottom caps and effectively is 1/2 X 2 tubes = 1.0 tube (effectively loses 1 tube)

The top tube and bottom tube will run "hot" because of fin shrouding by caps

Total effective cooling tubes = 23 tubes.

Core thickness = 1.125" (thickness of actual single core tube and fins, not the width of top and bottom caps which is 2 in.)

Exposed face Core volume = 23.5" X 10.0" X 1.125" = 264 cu in.

Must be double pass because of partial shrouding of top half by front bumper. Whole top half of HE unit runs hot because of reduced air flow through it

SPAL fans are 10.0" dia with flow capacity of 643 CFM each

The C & R/Shelby largest units are:

Overall length 26.25", C & R overall depth 12"

Core open face dimensions 23.5" X 11" = 258.5 sq. in. (open face area that air can flow through)

Number of core tubes = 28 rows X 1 tube = 28 tubes . Bottom and top row of tubes have more than 1/2 shrouding of fins by top and bottom caps and effectively is 1/2 X 2 tubes = 1.0 tube (effectively loses 1 tube)

Total effective cooling tubes = 27 tubes.

Core thickness = 1.125" (thickness of actual single core tube and fins, not the width of top and bottom caps which is 2 in.)

Exposed face Core volume = 23.5" X 11.0" X 1.125" = 291 cu in.

Must be double pass because of partial shrouding of top half by front bumper. Whole top half of HE unit runs hot because of reduced air flow through it and coolant flow through it is more restricted thus less flow.

SPAL fans are 11.0" dia. with flow capacity of 755 CFM each

VMP/Steeda largest units are:

Overall length 28", overall depth 13"

Core open face dimensions 24" X 11.5" = 276 sq in. (open face area that air can flow through)

Number of core tubes = 29 rows X 1 tube = 29 tubes . Bottom and top row of tubes have more than 1/2 shrouding of fins by top and bottom caps and effectively is 1/2 X 2 tubes = 1.0 tube (effectively loses 1 tube)

Total effective cooling tubes = 28 tubes.

Exposed face Core volume = 24" X 11.5" X 1.125" = 310.5 cu in.

Is triple double pass because of partial shrouding of top half by front bumper. Whole top half of HE unit runs hot because of reduced air flow through it and coolant flow through it is more restricted thus less flow.

SPAL fans are 11.0" dia. with flow capacity of 844 CFM each

GordsFord - "The Monster" - With dual 11” SPAL fans

Overall length 31", overall depth 11 7/8"

Core open face dimensions 27.5" X 11.0" = 302.5 sq in. (open face area that air can flow through)

Number of core tubes = 27 rows X 2 tubes = 54 tubes . Bottom and top row of tubes have partial shrouding of fins by top and bottom caps and effectively is 3/4 X 4 tubes = 3 tubes (effectively loses 1 tube )

Total effective cooling tubes = 53 tubes.

Core thickness = 2.2"

Exposed face Core volume = 27.5" X 11.0" X 2.2" = 665.5 cu in = 4.9 X stock capacity, 2.75 X AFCO Pro and 1.72 X GordsFord Option B HE units

Inlet/Outlet - Available as double pass, "Twin Flow" for two IC pumps, back or side inlet/outlet

Available with a number of custom mounts to fit numerous applications.

Must be double pass (or preferably double pass and "Twin Flow" ) because of partial shrouding of top half by front bumper.

SPAL fans are 11.0" dia. with flow capacity of 844 CFM each

The Monster HE unit is presently ready for fitment testing in the 03/04 Cobra vehicles to finalize our mounting system and we expect to release it for sale by the end of April. I can send more info to you if desired.

srdigital

Established Member
I have an unbranded (and bent from previous owner) h/e, and after my talks with Gordon (who was super helpful and patient with my questions) I literally couldn't buy that shit fast enough.

option b with all the trimmings, natural finish. had him put 1" barbs on it to pair well with the j2fab flow mod

Users who are viewing this thread