Intercoolers

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
I was wondering if paxtons intercooler would work with a vortech s-trim? I know paxton and vortech merged, but I was wondering if it would work, also who else has good intercoolers out there, that would work with the s-trim, I know vortech had an aftercooling system, but I don't want to relocate the ol' battery. Thanks.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
I believe Powerdyne makes a universal intercooler. Why don't you want to relocate your battery? Would help with traction and weight distribution.

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
thanks, for the info, I'm kinda leaning away from the aftercooler, because I don't want to have to keep adding water, into the system. I'm in sunny fla, so I'd like to use an air to air setup. As for relocationg the battery, I've see a lot of people do it even the FR500 but, I dunno, just a preference, to keep it underhood.

ForceInjection

Established Member
Yes, the Paxton intercooler will work, but you will need to make modifications to the discharge tube. With the Vortech the discharge tube is one piece, and with the Paxton it comes in two pieces. With a little cutting on the discharge tube you should be able to make it work perfectly.

jak112460

Established Member
You never have to add water to the after cooler system. I have one on my ZO6. It has its own water pump that cirulates the water and it's a sealed system. Just like your radiator in your car. The water to air aftercooler is very cool. It gives you a nice dense intake charge. Plus in most cases you have way less hosing from blower to intake so you have a much more efficiant system. I'm curious as to why anyone would think you would have to add more water? Thanks

CKMustangCobra

Established Member
I was also wondering if I should put an intercooler on my car, I already have it put I have to fab up the piping...

How did you get your discharge tube facing towards the ground, did you take the housing apart and rebuild it in that position!?

Let me know, anymore pictures would be helpful!

99Cobra Supercharged

Established Member
No problems with it. I was on the track once and the car in front of me spun out and blasted into the tires on the side of the road. One of the tires rolled in front of me and I ran over it. Fortunently the tire had no rim in it, but it did manage to rip out the inner fender liner on the passenger side. My heart was pounding.. I thought for sure tubes and hose clamps would be everywhere.. But not a scratch..

I did measure parking curbs to see how close it is, and its very close.. So I just don't pull in all the way. But I have never hit it on a driveway or speedbump. And I have driven up some good ones.

The cost installed was about $1500. But that was a deal from Paxton. They put it on and didn't charge me labor.. My quess it would cost about $500 to install and retune. If you notice in my pictures, the superchager has to be repositioned down.

So all in all its a bit of work. But well worth it in my option. You don't need it. But its a great upgrade and the car runs alot smoother. And does it cool. Put it this way, the supercharger is like fire to touch. But the inlet tube to the motor is comparable to warm water. My guess under a 100 degrees.

Ohh another thing they added was a blow off valve during the install... Not sure if that comes with the kit. But its not very loud like Fast & Furious.. Its pretty mild but works well. Vortec has some sweet blowoff valves. But they wont work with this kit.

akatherazor4

If you see this tag, Run!
Established Member
That's great. It looked as if it may have ground clearance issues, But I'm glad to see it works well. I have the Vortech mini race blowoff valve on mine and it too isn't loud at all. BTW is your car lowered at all?

Razor.

99Cobra Supercharged

Established Member
Ohh yes, Griggs. I think its an 1 1/2 all the way around. I had it lower when I first installed it. But with the bassini exhaust being a bit lower than stock. I raised it up for those damm speed bumps.

Heres a picture Stock.
cobra2.jpg

Heres with Griggs
cobra3.jpg

akatherazor4

Established Member
Wow it looks very low in that second pic.:eek: My car has Steeda sport springs and doesn't sit that low. I have to be extremely careful with speedbumps because my exhaust will drag on some of them. Your car does look great though!

Razor.:beer:

99Cobra Supercharged

Established Member
I hear yea. Thats why I choose griggs.. I figured having a lowered car can really suck. I wanted it as low as possible, but yet daily drivable. When I was at Griggs having the work done. I told Bruce.. I can't have the car bottoming out everytwhere. He said no prob.. After its installed, we have a test road thats all nasty that we can test you car on. If its gonna scrape, it will happen here. Well it took 4 adjustments to get it right. Then 2 more after a trip to the shopping mall. And I don't bottom out unless people crash into tire barriers and blast objects on the road..

akatherazor4

Established Member
Originally posted by 99CobraSupercharged
I hear yea. Thats why I choose griggs.. I figured having a lowered car can really suck. I wanted it as low as possible, but yet daily drivable. When I was at Griggs having the work done. I told Bruce.. I can't have the car bottoming out everytwhere. He said no prob.. After its installed, we have a test road thats all nasty that we can test you car on. If its gonna scrape, it will happen here. Well it took 4 adjustments to get it right. Then 2 more after a trip to the shopping mall. And I don't bottom out unless people crash into tire barriers and blast objects on the road..

Sounds like Griggs really knows what they are doing. It's too bad other shops don't adopt that kind of service.

Razor.

Users who are viewing this thread