Intercooler tank location

TommyB

Established Member
I'm currently in the middle of a custom Termi insall in my Factory Five Cobra replica. I've decided to mount the IC tank in the trunk, running heat exchangers to the front of the car, through an air to water rad, then the blower. Does the tank have to be higher than the intercooler/intake? It will be sitting at roughly the same height, maybe a little lower. I'd like to know how long to weld the filler tube.
While I'm at it. Should the coolant go through the IC rad just prior to going to the intercooler or after?
Thanks for the help.
T

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
people mount the tank down in the wheel well for the spare tire and run the lines under the car. I dont think it matters but obviously the pump becomes super important

SVT_Troy

Established Member
It doesn't matter if the tank is mounted below or above the intercooler. It is better to have the pump mounted in a spot where it doesn't lose it's prime. Usually close to the tank and below it.

Soap

Established Member
While I'm at it. Should the coolant go through the IC rad just prior to going to the intercooler or after?

That is correct. The fluid will be at it's coolest as it exits the heat exchanger (IC rad) so you want that fluid going directly into the intercooler.

--Joe

TommyB

Established Member
That is correct. The fluid will be at it's coolest as it exits the heat exchanger (IC rad) so you want that fluid going directly into the intercooler.

--Joe
Thanks for the info guys. I have the pump closer to the front, but it is as low as it can go.
Keep your eyes peeled. There will be lots more questions in the future

Users who are viewing this thread