intercooler pump repair

machstang23

Established Member
well my pump went south on me so instead of just buying a new pump I decided to rebuild mine. I found this link that describes how to fix it and I felt it was really helpful. Since I didn't see anything like this on this website I thought those having pump problems could benefit from this. I was going to do my own write up but this guy did such a good job and once I pump everything back together it worked good as new.

HOW TO: Intercooler Pump $6.00 Fix :) - The National Lightning Owners Club Inc

the biggest pain with the whole job was getting the new brushes over the bearing when reinstalling the cap.

mdrc347

Established Member
well my pump went south on me so instead of just buying a new pump I decided to rebuild mine. I found this link that describes how to fix it and I felt it was really helpful. Since I didn't see anything like this on this website I thought those having pump problems could benefit from this. I was going to do my own write up but this guy did such a good job and once I pump everything back together it worked good as new.

HOW TO: Intercooler Pump $6.00 Fix :) - The National Lightning Owners Club Inc

the biggest pain with the whole job was getting the new brushes over the bearing when reinstalling the cap.

So, I'm reading this when I took delivery of my new pump this morning. Figures. Good post, though. I think I will fix my old pump and keep it for a spare.

machstang23

Established Member
So, I'm reading this when I took delivery of my new pump this morning. Figures. Good post, though. I think I will fix my old pump and keep it for a spare.

yeah I decided to try and rebuild mine before ordering a new one (because Tousley Ford had them on back order when I needed one) and my pump works like new again for $6+ shipping... I figured if this doesn't work then I'm only out $10, but if it does, then I just saved $100... definitely worth if if you have a couple hours

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Yeah, I rebuilt one a while back and was able to find brushes the right size (but too long took some sandpaper to them) at a local dynamite tools. Worked for a few more months (about 6) and crapped out, the Bosch pumps aren't ment to be serviceable. Ended just getting a WP136 looks easier to service if needed but been using it for 3-4 years now and haven't had problems. Plus you can run nice AN lines if you want or the Cobra Engineering upgrade.

Last edited:

masterjr33

Established Member
took mine apart. cleaned all the crap out of it. sprayed it with brush cleaner that I use on my R/C car motors.
put it back together. been fine since.

TOPLESS_SVT

Established Member
Just finished this little gem...

hands down easiest idea to get it back together, I set the pre load washer into the brushes to hold them apart and it slides right together like butter

I also found bosch brushes from a dremel that worked quite well part number,# bosch 1617014131

Users who are viewing this thread