Intercooler Pump (Latest on OEM vs. Aftermarket)

shb5007

Established Member
My car has been sitting a while, doing some maintenance and prep. One of the things I want to do is replace the intercooler pump (just a matter of time). I have been doing some reading, but a lot of the threads are old... and I don't really want to bump them.

What is the latest consensus on the best pump replacement? OEM? Ford Performance (GT500)? Meziere?

My car has a stock heat exchanger, ported Eaton, and aftermarket thermostat... if any of that matters.

Here are the 3 I am talking about.

OEM: Bosch Mustang Intercooler Pump (03-14) Cobra/GT500 WP03-92 022 002

Ford Performance: Ford Performance Mustang Electric Intercooler Water Pump M-8501-MSVT (03-04 Cobra; 07-12 GT500)

Meziere: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mez-wp136s

SGT MERC

Established Member
My car has been sitting a while, doing some maintenance and prep. One of the things I want to do is replace the intercooler pump (just a matter of time). I have been doing some reading, but a lot of the threads are old... and I don't really want to bump them.

What is the latest consensus on the best pump replacement? OEM? Ford Performance (GT500)? Meziere?

My car has a stock heat exchanger, ported Eaton, and aftermarket thermostat... if any of that matters.

Here are the 3 I am talking about.

OEM: Bosch Mustang Intercooler Pump (03-14) Cobra/GT500 WP03-92 022 002

Ford Performance: Ford Performance Mustang Electric Intercooler Water Pump M-8501-MSVT (03-04 Cobra; 07-12 GT500)

Meziere: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mez-wp136s
I have a Meziere for sale. Very very low run time

Sent from my XT1650 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Soap

Established Member
The best pump out there is a Stewart EMP, but it is not plug and play.

Of the 3 you listed the GT500 is best, followed by OEM with the Meziere being the worst.

--Joe

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
I highly recommend going with the Pierburg 13-14 GT500 pump. It drastically outflows the Bosch pumps used on the 03-12 for similar cost. It will require a slightly larger diameter bracket and a different pigtail, but easily mounts in the same location. It also pushes so much flow it will aerate the coolant with the stock reservoir.

The Stewart EMP is amazing for flow, but is $$$ and requires more work to install. There's also an even bigger, badder version of the 13-14 GT500 pump used on some AMGs for a little less.

96gt02

Established Member
There is also a bigger badder version of the 03-12 style pump found on the older AMGs as well, looks identical to the stock bosch unit but flows in between the 03-12 and 13-14. Only thing is you have to repin the connector as it uses a different kind of pin.

shb5007

Established Member
I highly recommend going with the Pierburg 13-14 GT500 pump. It drastically outflows the Bosch pumps used on the 03-12 for similar cost. It will require a slightly larger diameter bracket and a different pigtail, but easily mounts in the same location. It also pushes so much flow it will aerate the coolant with the stock reservoir.

Any more info out there? Part number? Install instructions?

Thanks!

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
Its off a mercedes forum but they talk about the pierberg pumps alot so I think its relevant. Think I saw some info on here but cant recall where exactly, people were talking about cheaper pierburg replacement pumps from rockauto i believe. Never did see any flow data to see if they were worth the effort or not. Here is some reading for you, post 87 has some good info.

Intercooler Pump you didn't know about - MBWorld.org Forums

bigmoose

Established Member
If you are considering OEM just rebuild your own. It's super easy to do. The OEM units are sealed and the wear on the brushes creates a ton of dust that causes the issues with it. Open it up, clean it out and reassemble.

My oem unit had the typical not starting issue and was flakey. It was packed with brush dust but the brushes still had at least 50% life left. A simple cleaning and it was Rock solid.

Users who are viewing this thread