intercooler pump going out?

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
so yesterday every time i drove my car (its my DD, so it gets drove often), i noticed it seemed to be down on power. like...i could floor it from a slow roll in first gear, and it would hook and go, with no tire spin. at first i thought maybe its because its a little warmer outside, so im getting better traction? same thing for 2nd gear. no tire spin when hammering it in 2nd either, and usually there is a lot. also it didnt feel like it was pulling quite as hard as it usually does. i knew something just wasnt right.

once i got home from work, i started running some searches on SVTP, trying to figure out what the deal is. i changed plugs a few weeks ago, when i swapped my upper to a 2.8, so i thought maybe my plugs werent gapped correctly or something.

so i go out to my car and pop the hood. berfore i started messing with the plugs, something told me to check my intercooler fluid and see if it was circulating/moving around (when the engine is running). so i start the car (its still hot from driving it home) and unscrew the intercooler cap and guess what....fluid is not moving AT ALL, and i stuck my finger in the fluid, and it was HOT. so back in the house i go, and start running more searches on this site for intercooler problems. found a few threads that said to try tapping on the pump with a hammer or something to see if it clears any debris that may be clogging it, or if it kicks the pump back on. so i tried doing that with the car running and it works...the pump kicks back on.

so now im left with a couple of questions that i was hoping someone (that has had intercooler pump problems before) could help me out with..

1. does this mean my pump is going out? or do you think it was just clogged or something and just needed a good shaking/tapping to jolt loose whatever was clogging it?

2. (if the pump does go out, and does not come back on) is it okay to drive the car to work and such, with the pump not working, until i can get it fixed? or will this cause damage to the engine?

so here is a tip for some of the n00bs to these cars (kind of like myself, this is my first terminator)...if you are out cruisin, or whatever, and your car seems like its a little bit down on power, and just not pulling quite like it should....pull over...leave the car running...and pop the hood. check your intercooler fluid and make sure its cirulating around. if the fluid is just sitting there, and not moving...you found the problem! its a trip how much less power these cars make when they arent intercooled. i couldnt imagine having a supercharger with no intercooler...that would suck! that heat robs the HP BIG time!!

sorry for the long post!

thanks for any and all help!!

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
Have you tried running just the intercooler system alone since messing with it? You can jump the intercooler relay and you don't have to have the car on to run the intercooler system. Maybe try that for a while to see if it clogs itself back up or if you fixed it. Also its not hard at all to take the reservoir apart, clean it out and put it back together.

But personally I don't know the answer, but I wouldn't drive my car with the IC system out. I can only imagine that the intake temps would rise significantly.

Last edited:

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
Jump the IC pump relay... and see if the water circulates. If it doesn't.. there is your problem.

5cgmxh.jpg

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
well....i havent jumped the relay yet, b/c every since i tapped on it with the hammer last night its been working. i've checked it several times, like whenever i have arrived to where i have been going, before shutting off the car i have been popping the hood and checking to see if the fluid is circulating...and it has been. so it seems to be working fine now. im just not sure tho if what happened means it is going out, or what.

one thing i noticed while i was under there is the intercooler pump is a bosch. has the logo in plain site. is bosch the stock intercooler pump? just curious if the pump has gone out before and replaced by the last owner.

SpectorV

Established Member
also ford wants like 150+ for it but tousleyfordparts.com sold me mine for like 75, its a good time to drain some coolant or flush it but, if you dont want to use coolant line clamps and just pop the new one in.

I decided to put in an afco dual pass HE when I did mine, had issues getting air out of it. Glad I took the front bumper off as I had to unbolt the HE and hold it sidways and go back and forth to get the air out of it lol... it pumped perfect right as I put it all back together then after a few minutes to sit it wouldnt pump at all but the pump ran (air in the system) so just FYI test it a few times.

Users who are viewing this thread