Intercooler Coolant Question

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
Looking through the reference manual I noticed this line about the coolant:

Do not add/mix an orange-colored, extended life coolant such as Motorcraft Speciality Orange Engine Coolant, VC-2 (US) or CXC-209 (Canada), meeting Ford specification WSS-M97B44–D with the factory-filled coolant. Mixing Motorcraft Speciality Orange Engine Coolant or any orange-colored extended life product with your factory filled coolant can result in degraded corrosion protection.

I just bought the car about 2 weeks ago but I instantly knew I had this fluid in my intercooler reservoir just by the memory of its orange color. I'm not sure if this means somebody topped off the I/C fluid with the orange stuff, if it's all orange, and how worried I should be. Also, I'm trying to find a good write-up on the intercooler fluid change, if it's necessary, and I can't seem to locate one. What's the best way to completely drain this incorrect coolant and refill with the proper kind?

Last edited:

Hkaiser83

I am Captain Dynaball.
Established Member
If you must, just disconnect the bottom line from the Heat Exchanger.

Most of it will drain out at that point but make sure the car reaches operating temperature because that is when that particular pump (electric pump) turns on which will make sure to evacuate the rest of it.

I just put the Prestone Gold coolant in mine. It's safe for any type of metal.
Ford just has to put that in there because if it even reduces its abilities by half a percent they do not want to be liable if it actually causes a problem 100 years from now.

mu22stang

Established Member
I appreciate the help gentlemen. I will be running a relay jumper and changing it this weekend.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
easier to run a jumper on the relay for the IC pump
X3

The "Top" hose on the IC Reservoir tank is the return. I unhook that hose from the water manifold under the supercharger and hook a 6ft clear piece of tubing to it. then I put the other end into a 5 gallon bucket.

You then jump the intercooler relay with a jumper wire and fill the reservoir at the same time with distilled water.

Keep running the intercooler pump until the fluid is clear then pull the jumper. Unhook the clear tubing and hook the stock hose back up to the manifold.

Then add the desired amount of the proper coolant and put the jumper wire back in to circulate the coolant/water mixture and get the air bubbles out of the system.

Replace the cap and unhook the jumper and replace with the relay.

This is a great way to completely flush your intercooler system without so much as even climbing under the car.

Works like a champ. :thumbsup:

mu22stang

Established Member
@ 04sleeper - This worked perfect, and I appreciate the personal tip.

One question, during the process, the relay jump stopped working only after about 1 to 1.5 mins. Is there a safety switch that turns off the pump when say the backpressure is too low/high or the short last too long? The pump worked again after a short drive, maybe due to a cycle restart, and I was able to do the jump again to burp the remaining bubbles in the system.

*Edit: I see the post right above mine shows that the pump a commonly replaced part. I'll keep my eye on the I/C pump function and replace if need be.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread