Intercooler coolant change

tennis_pr0

Established Member
I'm gonna be installing oil pump gears soon in my 2014 GT, and draining the coolant is part of the process of doing it. I was wondering if I would need to drain/change the intercooler coolant as well. (I have a VMP supercharger). If not, it's still something I would like to do while I'm doing everything else. Any information or write ups about how to change and burp the intercooler coolant?

Vert

Established Member
No reason to drain the HE nor the IC unless you have a lot miles on it since the SC was installed. I would use a few hose pliers to get the degas bottle out of the way and for inlet and outlet hoses from IC. Get a couple rubber caps to plug IC hardlines.

tennis_pr0

Established Member
When I change the oil pump gears I'm gonna be disconnecting all the hoses and draining the cooling system. I was just wondering if anyone knows how to properly fill and bleed the intercooler coolant.

jn2

Established Member
Engine coolant system is separate from the superchargers. Unless you need to undo the superchargers coolant line you don't need to worry about it.

tennis_pr0

Established Member
Engine coolant system is separate from the superchargers. Unless you need to undo the superchargers coolant line you don't need to worry about it.

I know that. I'm just saying, if I do have to undo that line, what is the proper way to fill and bleed the intercooler coolant?

jn2

Established Member
I know that. I'm just saying, if I do have to undo that line, what is the proper way to fill and bleed the intercooler coolant?

Pour distilled water and how ever much coolant you want and fill her up. There isn't a specific filling process, I believe those are gravity bled. You can also use a vac and fill kit if you really want to be air free. If you didn't do the install, I doubt the place that did used a vac and fill kit though so gravity bleeding is fine.

That might help

http://www.roushperformance.com/par...M-BB-2011-5L-TVS-ROUSHcharger-Kit-9-22-11.pdf

Last edited:

Vert

Established Member
The best way to prime the pump ive found is to squeeze the inlet and outlet lines of the pump while it runs. Also, when you're adding the coolant try and not let the degas bottle run low as you fill it. The intercooler and heat exchanger will bleed theirselves and the pump getting primed is the issue most have.

tennis_pr0

Established Member
Ok so it looks like you fill it like you fill the regular cooling system. Fill it up, keep filling it up until it doesn"t drop anymore, turn on engine, let it run and continue to fill as level drops until it doesn't drop anymore. This correct for the intercooler coolant?

Vert

Established Member
Yes as long as you're meaning the coolant tank on the right as you face them.

Users who are viewing this thread