Intercooler and piping selection

WDW MKR

Established Member
I'm considering two different treadstone bar and plate intercoolers for an F1A setup. The first has a core size of 12x22x4.5 with side end tanks and 3" inlet and outlet. They rate it at 1465CFM and 960HP with 1.5psig pressure drop. You can reduce the thickness to 3.5, but the ratings drop to 1140CFM and 760HP. Elsewhere on their site, it says this same core is good for 1000HP? The other has a core size of 25x6x3.5 with top/bottom end tanks and 3" inlet and outlet. It doesn't give flowrate but is listed for 1000HP.

Would the offset top/bottom inlet and outlet or bottom side/side inlet and outlet work better? I'm confused how their smaller top/bottom core is rated higher than the larger side/side core. The 3.5 core (top/bottom OR side/side) would be easier to work around if it can support the flow. I've e-mailed them but have yet to hear back. Perhaps the larger end tanks on the thinner top/bottom unit increase the capacity. Just looking for some feedback!

Also, should I run 3" or 3.5" tubing? Rough calcs show the 3.5" to reduce pressure drop in the system by a whopping 55%. Of course, it's more difficult to route.

What about tubing material... aluminum or SS?

Users who are viewing this thread