Intake/TB/Tune on stock cats

claybeatz

Established Member
Hey guys, I would like a little more induction noise and power, but a pulley is out of the question because of CA 91 fuel.. I also don't want to attract attention from a louder exhaust so I would like to leave the stock exhaust in place. Question is, will I be putting the stock cats in danger with a Intake/Tune/Throttle body combo? I have heard cat protection might be disabled in a tune but I don't make extended or back to back pulls or anything..

here's what I was looking at:

Lethal Performance Intake, Throttle Body, and Tune Power Pack - JLT Intake, Throttle Body, Palm Beach Dyno uCal with Tune (2011-2014 Shelby GT500)

thanks for the help guys

Ray Lucca

Established Member
Ck with Lethal /PBD that they are leaving cat protection on. If yes, good to go. How about emission test passing with this kit?. May want to ask that too. Let us know. Gd luck

HPLouis

Established Member
I have SCT Advantage and they can leave the cat, flange and EGR temp protection turned on. I don't think Lethal would have the tunes just laying around, especially since they have to be customized for different combinations (i.e. someone orders a 148mm intake versus a 123mm, etc.).

My thoughts are that when someone puts in an order at Lethal, they reach out to PBD and gives them the specs and they create the tune to deliver to the customer. I would call Lethal and see if you can request that PBD leaves all the protections turned on.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member

claybeatz

Established Member
Ck with Lethal /PBD that they are leaving cat protection on. If yes, good to go. How about emission test passing with this kit?. May want to ask that too. Let us know. Gd luck
Will do, im not super worried about the emissions portion because I will probably just swap back to stock when the time comes

claybeatz

Established Member
No major tuner will write a tune that disables ANY of the emissions equipment. You may be able to loot a store and burn a police car without penalty but disabling emissions equipment is a SERIOUS crime!
A simple tune will not disqualify your car during a smog check.

Yeah cali is getting crazier every year. I don't plan on going catless, I like my car pretty quiet, the stock exhaust sounds great to me. The only thing I wish I could do that is out of the question here is headers and catted x pipe but keeping the stock mufflers

claybeatz

Established Member
You can run the Ford racing twin 65mm T/B on the stock tune and you'll have perfect driveability
Ford Performance Mustang Twin 65mm Cobra Jet Throttle Body M-9926-CJ65 (07-14 GT500)
And you can run a JLT resonator delete on the stock tune.
JLT GT500 INDUCTION KIT for 2010-14 GT500
That will help you get more power and hear the supercharger more all on the stock tune.

I would definitely be getting a tune though just for peace of mind. Maybe just to putter over to AED for a proper tune

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Seems like a whole lotta nothing gained for the amount of money forecasted to be spent.

Squeeze = no juice

I would definitely be getting a tune though just for peace of mind. Maybe just to putter over to AED for a proper tune

Hey guys, I would like a little more induction noise and power, but a pulley is out of the question because of CA 91 fuel.. I also don't want to attract attention from a louder exhaust so I would like to leave the stock exhaust in place. Question is, will I be putting the stock cats in danger with a Intake/Tune/Throttle body combo? I have heard cat protection might be disabled in a tune but I don't make extended or back to back pulls or anything..

here's what I was looking at:

Lethal Performance Intake, Throttle Body, and Tune Power Pack - JLT Intake, Throttle Body, Palm Beach Dyno uCal with Tune (2011-2014 Shelby GT500)

thanks for the help guys

Last edited:

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
What would you do?

3:73 gears, lowering springs and some lower control arms. Going from stock gearing to 3:73s will feel like a 50-70rwtq gain. For slightly cheaper price tag. Gas mileage will not suffer. Would ask AED if they would do gears

Do the Ford Racing delete for the air intake call it good (no tune required)

Last edited:

fearthesnake

Established Member
3:73 gears, lowering springs and some lower control arms. Going from stock gearing to 3:73s will feel like a 50-70rwtq gain. For slightly cheaper price tag. Gas mileage will not suffer. Would ask AED if they would do gears

I would do exactly this and also go to a Toyo R888 or Nitto NT05 tire.

Car will hook much better with those mods and tires.

I have 3.73s and still avg 23mpg on Highway cruising at 80mph.

claybeatz

Established Member
Have you considered 3.73 or 4.10 Gears? Great mod imo.

I would do exactly this and also go to a Toyo R888 or Nitto NT05 tire.

Car will hook much better with those mods and tires.

I have 3.73s and still avg 23mpg on Highway cruising at 80mph.

I think I will look into some gears for my car. It would be nice to see how they feel in someone else's car beforehand if anyone wants to take me for a spin :D

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
I think I will look into some gears for my car. It would be nice to see how they feel in someone else's car beforehand if anyone wants to take me for a spin :D

1. I drove 4 stock 14's with 3:31s.....no grunt
2. bought mine already had 3:73s and my seat noticed the difference
3. Do NOT go with the cheapest gear installer. These GT500s are finicky in the rear diff area if not done correctly. Don't believe the hype about gear whine. Mine do not whine because they were installed correctly. AED probably the ticket

good luck

Last edited:

nrmustang

Established Member
Hey guys, I talked to Shaun about gears last week. After Drew moved the only mechanical work he’s doing is building motors again. No gears.

@claybeatz, where are you located in Ca? We have a great rear end shop here in the Central Valley.

claybeatz

Established Member
Hey guys, I talked to Shaun about gears last week. After Drew moved the only mechanical work he’s doing is building motors again. No gears.

@claybeatz, where are you located in Ca? We have a great rear end shop here in the Central Valley.

Im in San Jose. I still think I'm going to do basic bolt ons, might even risk a mid pipe swap because I really don't drive like a shit head I think ill be fine

Users who are viewing this thread