Intake Porting Tips, Pics and info

4VFTW

Established Member
Seeing so many intake porting threads on here with folks wanting to know what they are trying to accomplish and what tools they need to accomplish it , I thought I would do a write up showing what I have done and what I use to do it. This tips would apply to any intake from stock to the CJ

I had ported my Boss IM over a year ago , but as I'm not ready to shell the money out for a CJ setup I wanted to see how far I could take the Boss setup. What I planned to do was what I had done to 99-01 Cobra/03-04 Mach1 "C" head intakes... I was going to bisect the Boss along the plenum seam and port it fully from the inside out, like this...

DSC02192.jpg

DSC02193.jpg

DSC02004.jpg

DSC02029.jpg

Once I got the Boss IM off the car and inspected it I determined that the payoff would probably not be worth the effort/risk involved in attempting to cut it open. The main obstacle is the 3 pillars in the center of the Boss plenum...they appear to be plastic welded or bonded and I saw no feasible way to separate them. This combined with the fact that what I had seen in the few pictures of the inside of the Boss plenum from the internet did not jive with what I could see and feel inside my intake. I aborted that mission and instead decided that while it was off I would put some more time into the injector bung and port opening of the Boss, take some pictures and that would be the end of it.

As far as whats needed to do the job efficiently, I highly recommend an air grinder over electric as air provides much more control and finesse. The only thing I use my electric die grinder for is if I have hours of polishing to do like on the "C" head manifold pictured above. Here are the exact tools I used to do the job... 6" single cut ball end 3/8" dia bur and a Harbor Freight polishing kit.
DSC02778_zps5ce45633.jpg

I use single cut ferrous carbides for everything save when I need to remove alot of aluminum... once the shaping and blending starts I switch to the single cut burs , they remove material plenty fast and leave a much smoother finish making polishing easier. I set my air pressure to maintain 40-50psi with the tool wide open. The grinder should growl like a aggravated cat not scream like 2 cats fighting. keep the bur constantly moving and preferrably in multiple axis so you dont create low spots. use your fingers to determine where you need to remove material as much if not more than your eyes. Buy a good flexible LED light and move it around ofter to help show you high spots by the shadows they give off.

The Boss IM benefits most from having the absurdly large injector bunge radiused to a nice smooth conical shape and the eyebrows in the port opening corners removed.

before pic(lifted from Shaun@AED)
stockBossIMport_zps0d539339.jpg

After
DSC02779_zps95314a5a.jpg

removing the TB opening fins and smoothing out the the corners into the plenum is also recommended and I would say a necessity when running a 84.5mm TB.
DSC02780_zpsf27d7da0.jpg

degrease and wash it thouroughly inside and out before putting back on the car and you should be good to go.

I noticed an immediate difference once I stepped on the gas and this was verified at the track

Last edited:

pufferfish

Established Member
Do you have quantifiable verification from the track? I cleaned up my boss port exits, but not as much as you. Wonder if it's worth pulling it back off for some more massaging.

4VFTW

Established Member
Do you have quantifiable verification from the track? I cleaned up my boss port exits, but not as much as you. Wonder if it's worth pulling it back off for some more massaging.
My car was a very consistent high 115 low 116mph car prior to porting and after it was a consistent 118 car. I had hoped to get back to the track tomorrow night to test the porting I did today but my wife reminded me that its her birthday so it will have to wait til friday or next week to see if there was further improvement(butt dyno says maybe)

The Boss IM port opening is far more restrictive than either the CJ or the stock IM, no idea why but the design is really poor in comparison and there is definately power to be had by removing as much of that injector boss as possible.

Last edited:

Intense/CP

Taking Care of Business
Established Member
Now, I learned to port in a school where they hand you an 11 amp Milwaukee to learn on. It's a horse! I use a rheostat to slow it down a fair amount. I prefer a single cut 1/2" flame tip burr. It makes keeping flat walls flat so much easier. Then use an 80 grit cart roll...slowed down too. I've got a couple of others if I come across a shape I need to make or a shallow spot I need to keep a point away from.

I tried air and felt the exact opposite both before formally learning on the electric ...and after when I didn't have access to my Milwaukee. I preferred the electric myself.

So, anyone know if a light "cleanup" is beneficial on the Coyote's stock intake?

Last edited:

4VFTW

Established Member
Now, I learned to port in a school where they hand you an 11 amp Milwaukee to learn on. It's a horse! I use a rheostat to slow it down a fair amount. I prefer a single cut 1/2" flame tip burr. It makes keeping flat walls flat so much easier. Then use an 80 grit cart roll...slowed down too. I've got a couple of others if I come across a shape I need to make or a shallow spot I need to keep a point away from.
Yeah man, I learned on electrics also in my garage fresh out of High School. Gotta love that feeling when you make a wrong move and that bur starts bouncing around the port at 25,000 rpm (air grinders all but eliminate this too). chewed up my fair share of $40 carbides. And that was all cast iron work because aluminum heads were the stuff of legend back then.

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member

I tried air and felt the exact opposite both before formally learning on the electric ...and after when I didn't have access to my Milwaukee. I preferred the electric myself.

So, anyone know if a light "cleanup" is beneficial on the Coyote's stock intake?

You go to SAM down in Houston?

4VFTW

Established Member
definitely , there have been some others who have done it and reported increases on a dyno. Here is a pic of the one in my garage and the areas that can use work.
IMAG0699_zpsd8bdbe6d.jpg

02reaper

Established Member
Took my boss intake off today and ported it....Not quite as much as 4VFTW, but i took out the areas I though would make the most difference.

DEBABF0F-F9F3-4A13-8815-8BD4F1D25100_zps5shrmzi8.jpg

648A5F14-707E-4197-B445-521CCE55B3B0_zpscnw7ifb2.jpg

0C891ABE-29F3-4575-827D-7D4563EA5C03_zpscyklvggy.jpg

DFB9E53C-028C-4CC4-8850-C78CB452E7C0_zpsfqssxs6u.jpg

4VFTW

Established Member
TB opening looks good , but there is a lot of work to be done in the port opening...keep at it and post progress pics

you can take down that injector bulge more than you think and that is a major restriction in the intake tract. I went back and removed more from the injector area after having removed as much as I was comfortable with the 1st time. there is also quite a bit that can be removed on the sides...those trapezoids can be totally removed and blended into the surrounding walls.
2967f3f5-01ea-45c4-99fa-cdec039e8d3e_zpse6c89957.jpg

Last edited:

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
Yes! I finished the block and cyl head courses in May 09. I built the 526hp sbm 408 posted on SAM's YouTube channel around that time.

I went to SAM back in 2007, I knew you went there because the electric Milwaukee lol.

Last edited:

02reaper

Established Member
TB opening looks good , but there is a lot of work to be done in the port opening...keep at it and post progress pics

you can take down that injector bulge more than you think and that is a major restriction in the intake tract. I went back and removed more from the injector area after having removed as much as I was comfortable with the 1st time. there is also quite a bit that can be removed on the sides...those trapezoids can be totally removed and blended into the surrounding walls.
2967f3f5-01ea-45c4-99fa-cdec039e8d3e_zpse6c89957.jpg

This was my first time porting on plastic....I went back and worked on that injector bung some more after I took the pics...I did leave the trapezoids alone as far as hitting them with the grinder. I hand sanded all my work and any sharp edges down at the end with some 220 grit sandpaper. I too could tell a seat of the pants difference just driving around with just that little bit of work. Where the two pieces join on the injector bung was way out of whack on mine. The bottom was probably sticking up 1/16 of an inch in the way compared to the top one. I felt that was the major airflow killer.

Intense/CP

Taking Care of Business
Established Member
I went to SAM back in 2007, I knew you went there because the electric Milwaukee lol.
Nothing changed... Big red craftsman toolbox with clear compartments on the lid to put cart rolls in. Casey was teaching the cyl head course. I wish I remembered the old guys name from the block course. He was gruff at first but he was helpful after you got to know him. I went to his shop once to fab an engine bracket for me. I'm not talking about Jud lol. Some guys couldn't stand him but I thought he just told it "like it is" or at least the way he sees it. I generally agreed.

I had a great time there. I couldn't get a job in a NASCAR shop after moving to Mooresville, NC...but I don't regret the experience. Around here in Ky...they want to pay $10/hr to work in a "high performance" machine shop. It's laughable. I can say I was a little spoiled by the equipment. They got a very nice SV10 cyl hone while I was there. Me and another guy were the first builds to use it. Straight and round to .0001! Yeah, I liked it there lol.

Intense/CP

Taking Care of Business
Established Member
The shape is very very similar on the 3.7 runners. All except for the "trapezoidal" shape there interrupting the oval shape but only on the edge of the exit. The 3.7 has that shape a little further in. On a 3.7, port matching the the upper to the lower and doing what has been mentioned...transitioning from the rounded square port to an oval instead of the "trapezoid" gained on the same dyno 12 peak hp and as much as 20 hp at the top end...gains everywhere with that customer. That said, I'm sure there is some positive attribute to the shapes such as throttle response maybe...efficiency down low...atomization??

Though I'm tempted to do some porting, I'm hesitant because of a bad tuning experience with an auto. Without getting into all of it, I'm only thinking the '14.5 FRPP Track Key as far as tuning. From there, wheels...maybe an axle back. This car I want to drive the wheels off and actually enjoy it.

Last edited:

200MPHCOBRA

Liberty Tree Needs Water
Established Member
To all the porters above, are you going at the plastic with the carbide first? Any lubricant? I have a CJ mani I want to port, just never did plastic before, only cast iron and alum.. Is there a compound that fills cracks on these plastic mani's? I have some voids in some of the seams that I think are too deep to smooth out.

pufferfish

Established Member
yeah, carbide first. no lube. it just takes the material down faster without overheating and clogging, like sanding rolls would. sanding rolls are for final cleanup and blending. then hand sand.

as for filler, i don't think i would trust anything but silicone sealer. with the expansion rates of plastic, i worry hard epoxy would dislodge and get ingested. if it lands just right, it could bend a valve. at least if the silicone falls off, it won't damage anything.

Last edited:

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
Might have been discussed, but are the stock GT manifolds as bad as the Boss in regards to needing to take down as much plastic?

Users who are viewing this thread