Intake Manifold Porting

tvanlant

Established Member
I've been porting cylinder heads for a long time and I've owned coyote cars, but never got around to working on the heads/intakes on them. Recently, I agreed to port a set of heads and an intake for a friend of mine who has a procharged coyote swapped fox.

I was able to find some very good gains on the cylinder heads, and while I didn't test the intake manifold on the flow bench, I believe there are some decent improvements to be had over a stock manifold.

Non-Vendor.

Here are some photos of the port work. Note: I haven't gone over everything with a sandpaper roll to smooth it out yet. Just showing the reshaping of the runners and inlet.

20160228_163959.jpg

20160229_114358.jpg

20160229_114428.jpg

6ed7f8ff-fe85-4618-9a2a-cee8c0243010.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

5lho

Established Member
Not dissing your work but, if you didn't test, how do you know there are gains? Did you run the car and see if it picked up anything?

What do you think those air fences do? My guess is that they do what air fences do in other alpplications, straighten and make the flow laminar, in this case coming off the throttle plate, preventing it from stalling and possibly reverting but, who knows?

Last edited:

Vert

Established Member
The procharger pushes a lot of air so I'm not sure the air fences would even help. Think they would be more of a restriction in SC applications. Also, what does a boss cibra jet inlet look like.

Last edited:

5lho

Established Member
True, a supercharger really doesn't give a rat's ass how well your intake flows; it'll make it flow well, like it or not. The fences I think would be focussed on straightening flow in light throttle applications, where the throttle plate is mostly closed and you're getting some Kamm effect off the back, maybe.

beef97

Established Member
Ford called them "whoosh fingers".....supposedly was only to quiet down intake noise. Ford tried with and without them and didn't gain anything without them.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
Removing the fins will not cause issues. Ford said with or without them gained no power. There have been a few port postings but I thought it hurt performance on the stock intake but that was n/a. I'm sure FI and or ported heads would achieve better gains. For the boss, which I removed the fins and did a mild port to the intake and ports, it's been told that a port can gain around 10rwhp. But it needs to be mildly ported since too much could cause issues.

Port work looks good op.

MKMotorsport

Established Member
Ford called them "whoosh fingers".....supposedly was only to quiet down intake noise. Ford tried with and without them and didn't gain anything without them.

I ran mine with and without fins. Also with and without stock TB. With the stock TB and without fins there was distinct intake "whistle" at part throttle under load. I could not measure any gains (track passes only) attributed to the fins or lack thereof. Another option would be to shorten the fins by 1/2 height, and still leave them partially there, but as someone else said in another thread about something else, probably picking pepper out from fly shit at that point.:-D IMHO they probably have the most effect under part throttle operation naturally aspirated.

beef97

Established Member
So would a port job (throttle area and runners) be a waste on the stock GT manifold? I'm assuming there's more to a port job than just removing the fins?

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
^^^No harm in cleaning up the runners and TB throat...there are quite a few edges in the runners that can be taken down, smoothed etc. I believe AED showed some small gains from cleaning that stuff up.

5lho

Established Member
Cool to see people trying stuff. I remember a massive port out I did on a factory lower on my old pushrod 5.0. Number 5 needed the old JB weld to straighten out the runner, that was the worst one, iirc. Still looked stock :)

Users who are viewing this thread