Intake Cam change only Dyno Results:

Shaun@AED

Had a crate motor Fox with F150 engine on the dyno today.
Car was tuned on my chassis dyno a few months back with the stock F150 cams.
Customer took my advice and installed Stock GT Intake cams. For refeernce F150 cams are 20 degrees smaller off the seat but have the same center line as the GT's.

Below are the results:
F150%20vs%20GT%20Intake%20Cams_zpswbnuabdg.jpg

Shaun@AED

With some cam timing changes we picked up even more.

Just proves these engines are intake restricted. You can do everything possible to the intake tract (SCJ, MonoBlade, Etc), but if the cam lobe is too small you can't get the air INTO the engine to make the power.

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member
I am looking into getting an F150 when I get back to the states. Looks like I found a good home for my stock coyote cams when I take them out. Thanks for the great idea!

Troponin

Established Member
38hp? Holy chit!

My only issue would be, how much for the cams and install? Does it come out to something cost effective? It's my understanding that doing cams on the Coyote is expensive and most don't do it because of that reason.

Any idea how these would do in a supercharged set up?

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Nice data Shaun.

At Shaun's suggestion, we saw good results with mild intake cam only changes on the VMP TVS blower cars. We tried a mild regrind and comp stage 2 intake and saw 20-30rwhp over the stock Mustang intake cam.

The benefit of intake cam only change is you retain a lot of idle quality and fuel economy, for those that don't want some of the traditional "negatives" of cams like smell, rough idle, and fuel consumption.

Doing the cam swap is time consuming, but not difficult. The coyote 4v is sooooooooooooo much easier to work on than the old 5.4l 4v. You do have to re-time the all the cams when you swap the intake cams, but there are other things you may want to do while you are in there, like oil pump gears, and a quality harmonic balancer like the ATI.

FWIW a good mechanic can do this in 4-6hrs, a novice about 6-12hrs.

Shaun@AED

Thank you Justin.

Yes, this thread was to shed some light on how restrictive all Coyotes are on the intake side. The GT intake cam is not big and there is more to be gained from a larger lobe profile even with keeping the stock Exhaust cam.

This example proves the exhaust cams are what kill low end power. Due to the TiVCT system we can go bigger on the intake and not lose any low/midrange power if we keep the exhaust cams reasonable.
All of the OTS cams we see are geared towards the exhaust side, and all power graphs with the large exhaust cams lose low/midrange power compared to the stock cams, and it's far worse when people limit full Phase.
There are ways to make big upper RPM HP without sacraficing so much low/midrange.

Personally I'd like to see a matching Intake cam for the 290 duration SCJ cams.

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member
Personally I'd like to see a matching Intake cam for the 290 duration SCJ cams.

I figured MMR or FRPP would have addressed this by now. There is a market for this idea and it would definitely sell. I would love to save some money and buy the SCJ exhaust cams while having intakes to match.

Shaun@AED

I figured MMR or FRPP would have addressed this by now. There is a market for this idea and it would definitely sell. I would love to save some money and buy the SCJ exhaust cams while having intakes to match.

I was going to, but needed $44K to get the first batch made. OE quality from the same manufacture as the stock cams.

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member
Wonder if there is enough people to help with the buy in? I would do it. Just a thought.

My question is if those cams could be sold at a price lower than Comp's, and still turn a profit on the 44K investment. I could probably cough up all 44K if this Army gig wasn't holding me back lol. Two more years!

Users who are viewing this thread