Insurance for 17-21 year olds for 03-04 Cobras

BrahJ

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section. Also sorry if there are a few threads on this already, but I want to know the most current insurance rates. I'm 17 now and got quotes 260 a month with a clean record and good grades (4.1 gpa). The quote is from nationwide. I'm hoping the rates would drop in two years (after my sophomore year in college) because that's when I'm ideally getting the car. I'm just curious what other teenagers are paying for their terminator that are aged 17-21.

SuperBlownGT

Forever CoBro!
Established Member
It's all going to depend on driving record. Shop around with the big names. State Farm in my experience has the best quotes. Also remember after 3 years with a your license it will go down to as you are now considered an experienced driver.

cj428mach

Established Member
I'm 31 with only 2 tickets in my life and haven't had one in over 10 years. When I went to get my insurance switched over to my new cobra the agent told me if I was 18 or under I couldn't get insurance on my car what ever that means. I don't know if that means they wouldn't even insure me or the price was more than they thought I could afford to pay.

cobra-k

Established Member
Im 23 and pay 140/month. If i was 1 province over I'd be paying 450/month. My record isn't the greatest, but you definately pay out when you're young and wanna have fun.

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
I remember i was quoted at around 400 a month when i was 17 and these things first came out. I just checked for the hell of it, didnt get one for 6 years later.

Youd be nuts if you pay anywhere near that for insurence, id just get a regular gt or v6 if youre 17 and paying for it all yourself, save yourself the money.

94Gt5.0

Allgo5oh
Established Member
Id venture to say most teenagers dont have terminators lol, but if ya do good for you! Typically at that age youre not going to be making a ton of cash, my opinion, save the cash you have and look towards the future (education, savings, etc). I know its not the response anyone (myself included at that age) wants to hear but youd be much better off than spending every last dollar on a car (again, been there did that lol). For all I know you make 100K, just a blanket statement, dont take anything to heart. If I were you like another had said, buy a cheaper GT and dick around with that. Will be plenty of fun still and wont pound your wallet.

:beer:

Pantera1

Established Member
At 19, when I bought the car I had 8 points off my license, all speeding tickets and it was 500 a month. Now at 20 I'm at 5 points and it's 150 a month if that helps any

99PunisherSVT

Established Member
At 22 with a moderate record (1 or two tickets and a 50/50 accident) and full insurance I was paying $150 a month for my 03 Cobra. At 24 with a Mach 1 I'm paying $24 a month for basic insurance when I added onto my existing policy (bought the car in December so I'm not fully covering it until the spring). I asked what it would be when I got full insurance and it was something like $80 a month. I have another car, motorcycle and home insurance on the same policy though so I get a few discounts. I'm using Progressive by the way. I've shopped a few times and they always come up the cheapest for me, hands down.

I had a 99 Cobra at 19 but I can't remember what I was paying for that. I wanna say $120ish but I could be wrong.

Last edited:

2001GTTT

Yellow is faster
Established Member
You're getting the car in two years, why are you worried about the insurance now? Things will likely be different in two years anyway.

JustaGT5408

Established Member
I bought my 03 cobra at age 23. Somewhat of a clean record, few minor speeding tickets when i was 17 and 19 (5 over the limit on both). I pay $86.50/month for both of my vehicles with full coverage through progressive, FWIW my other vehicle is a 98 ZR2 Blazer. I was shocked that it was that cheap as I was expecting it to be quite a bit more.

99PunisherSVT

Established Member
I bought my 03 cobra at age 23. Somewhat of a clean record, few minor speeding tickets when i was 17 and 19 (5 over the limit on both). I pay $86.50/month for both of my vehicles with full coverage through progressive, FWIW my other vehicle is a 98 ZR2 Blazer. I was shocked that it was that cheap as I was expecting it to be quite a bit more.

Yeah, it helps that Iowa is in the middle of nowhere...

Progressive really is a great company though. For 2 cars, a Harley and a house I'm still paying well under $200 a month. This coming September I'll go back to having 0 points on my record too, so my rates will go down even farther. Very glad I went with them.

99PunisherSVT

Established Member
common misconception here....no they do not have to cover any aftermarket modifications.

I know they don't have to, but some do it as a service. Progressive asked me if I had done any modifications done to my car that I would like covered in the case of an accident. I did that with my 99 when I got hit and they cut me a check for all of my mods that I could provide receipts for. I'm looking at his list of mods and if he's having all of that covered it might account for his high rate.

slow_mach

Established Member
I'm 20, 21 in April. I pay $378 a month on my 03 Cobra for full coverage. 2 speeding tickets (each three years old) and one wreck (not at fault.) This is through AllState in MO under my parents.

Users who are viewing this thread