Installing your Twin 255 Walbro Pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vette Eater

Established Member
1) Make sure you run as much gas out of your tank as possible, I had a half of a tank when I did it and it wasn't bad...just a little heavy. Also, make sure you have friend to help with the tank...it is very cumbersome.

2) Jack up rear of truck with and place 2 jack stands under each side of the axles...Make sure to jack as high as you can get it.

3)Place the jack under the tank for support.
attachment.php

4) Using a 1/2 ratchet with a 12" extension, take two straps that hold the tank in loose and remove them.
attachment.php

5)Once the straps are off, lower the tank low enough to get a flat head screw driver up to the REAR DRIVERSIDE of the tank to loosen the fill tube and vent tube clamps. Be sure to loosen the ones at the tank, not at the frame...Those are harder to get to.
attachment.php

6) Now the tank can be lowered and tilted towards the front of the vehicle. this gives you easy access to the sump harness and lines. Using a set of 5/16-3/8 fuel removal tools, be sure to use the metal ones...the plastic ones SUCK!!! Disconnect the 2 sump lines, 1 vent tubes and 1 electrical connector.
attachment.php

7) Once these have been disconnected it allows you to lower the tank ALMOST all the way to the ground. There is still another electrical connector and vent tube to disconnect.
attachment.php

8) You are ready to slide it out from under the truck.
attachment.php

9) Using a 10mm socket take the bolts out of the top of the sump and you are ready for removing the pumps.

10) When pulling the pumps out of the tank, you need to be careful because it is a tight squeeze. With some finesse it will come out with no problem.

11) There are 2 electrical plugs to disconnect. Once this is done, you can loosen the small bolt on the backside of the pumps that hold the brass retaining strap on. Take it off and the pumps are loose.
attachment.php

12) The pump installation kit comes with new clamps and hoses. Using a pair of dyke cutters, cut the top brass clamps off
attachment.php

13) Now you can put the new hoses and clamps in where to old ones were. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN, you could break the plastic Y-fitting

14) Take the rubber covers off the stock units and place them around the base of the new pumps. You can place the new pumps in the sump. Be sure to bend the little bracket, circled in the pic, out so the brass retaining strap can be reinstalled.
attachment.php

15) The retaining strap is a tight fit, with a little muscle it will go.
attachment.php

16)Once the new pumps are in and the hoses and clamps are in place and tightened, put the socks on the bottom. I am not too fond of the replacement socks that are angled up, so I kept the stock socks. It is totally up to you.
attachment.php

17) Now that everything is back to the way it was before you disassembled it...RETIGHTEN EVERYTHING AND MAKE SURE THE CONNECTIONS ARE CLIPPED
attachment.php

18) Now reverse the removal process and your done :rockon:

This took a total of 1 whole hour. It was easy, just be careful and be sure to do it in a highly ventilated area.

If you avhe any questions, PM and I'll hep the best I can.

GOOD LUCK :beer:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread