Installing sound deadener in my 98 and found this under the rear package shelf

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Ok, well apparently I can't post the pic because it's "too large", but it's not.

I am currently dismantling my interior and trunk to install sound deadener and some CCF. I pulled the rear package shelf cover off (the piece with the speaker grills) and underneath it there is a white vacuum line/vent line or something running through the wiring harness and it exits at the base of the rear window and package shelf.
Any idea what it is? Curiosity has me intrigued.

I was going to post pics of the install etc but I can never post pics on SVTP.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
I've had problems with posting photos. I found that by resizing them down to 40%, it works every time.

Also, since the forum update, I had to switch my browser to Chrome.

One or both of these might help.

BTW, I don't know what that line could be.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
After way too much work than it needs to be, here's a pic. You can see the white tube with the fabric tape around the end.
pxl_20220407_175014049-mp-2.jpg

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah, no wire in there. It literally looks like the same plastic vacuum hose that you'd use for a boost line.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
What's it attach to?

I'm not sure, it's coming out of the wire loom that runs the length of the car. I haven't pulled the carpet or interior up front yet other than the door panels. I'll try to trace it and see where it comes from when I pull that all apart. I may get to it tomorrow.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Ok, time for an update on this. It actually does appear to have a very thin wire in it. I pulled the tape off the end by the rear window and you can see a (very) thin wire in there.
PXL_20220411_193833404_copy_1209x1612.jpg

I followed it along the harness to the trunk and it seems like it goes into the back of the keyless entry module maybe? It's that black hose I'm pointing to in the first pic, and the one with the "assembled in Mexico" sticker in it in the second pic.
PXL_20220411_193541935_copy_1612x1209.jpg

PXL_20220411_193725143_copy_1209x1612.jpg

Onto a couple of other quick questions while we are at it. I'm pulling the Mach stuff out, including the harness. I have it all unplugged from the trunk, and the rear quarter area.
Right below the driver's quarter window, there is this connection. Anyone know what it's for? One side is in the same harness as the Mach stuff, the other side plugs into the main harness.
PXL_20220411_220151864_copy_1209x1612.jpg

Also one more question. The rest of the Mach harness goes along the door area and unplugs down in the kick panel. It branches into 2 connections. One I'm pretty sure is for the Mach stuff. What about that thin connection? It's just a yellow wire and a black/striped wire. I'm wondering if maybe that is the "turn on" and maybe a ground or something?
PXL_20220411_220446550_copy_1209x1612.jpg

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Any chance it goes to the rear window defrost? Only think I can think of offhand

No it's definitely not related to the defrost that I can see.

Almost looks like a cable sheath, but without an inner cable (like hood/trunk release cable)

Yes, sort of. The color of the tube faded from black to white up by the rear window.

shurur

Established Member
If the wire is free within the sheath, the sheath may have been used to stiffen the wire for fishing it to the trunk.

kazman

King of Kazmania
Established Member
Premium Member
You said it originates at the KEM, could it be an antenna?

Last edited:

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
You said it originates at the KEM, could it be an antenna?

Ding ding ding. That makes total sense.
Good call on that one!
Now, onto the other 2 connections? Anyone if any help? I assume they are both for the Mach.

Users who are viewing this thread