Installing new Bos 302 steering wheel

mitchster

Established Member
Just bought a new steering wheel and have questions on the install.
1. When I disconnect the battery and it will be off for a few hours will my lose my radio and need a password to get it to work again?
2. Will I lose my Roush programming? I have Roush Phase II software.
3. Anything else I need to know?
Thanks, Mitch

fishpick

Established Member
Just bought a new steering wheel and have questions on the install.
1. When I disconnect the battery and it will be off for a few hours will my lose my radio and need a password to get it to work again?
2. Will I lose my Roush programming? I have Roush Phase II software.
3. Anything else I need to know?
Thanks, Mitch
  1. Base Radio completely goes blank - don't know about your package.
  2. No - programs / tunes are in the PCM (powertrain control module) - they are there no matter what unless you flash them away... like if you had to replace the car battery - you wouldn't lose the cars driveability.
  3. Depending on your car model / package and the functions on the Boss wheel - you "might" need to update an AS-BUILT code in the ACM (audio control module) to get all the buttons to work... but I HIGHLY doubt that based on the fact your stereo question is about a password... likely the buttons will just work for you.

fishpick

Established Member
Also - I see you are near the falls... SHOULD you need an AS-BUILT done- you can either hit up a dealer, find a friend with IDS and a VCM2, or you can drive to just a click past Rochester on I-90 and I'd be happy to help :)

noldevin

Established Member
There is no password on the mustang radios.
You will not lose your tune.
It's really easy to install. I'd wait about 20 minutes after unplugging battery just to be safe. Then its just 3 bolts and 2 wires, one on either side of the wheel to release the airbag, and one big one in the middle for the wheel. Make sure you torque that big bolt to spec and install the wheel at the same angle as the old one lol

mitchster

Established Member
I just received a safety recall on the driver side front airbag. Would that be the steering wheel airbag? If so I just might take it to Ford and have them install the wheel.
I had my Roush Supercharger installed at Friendly Ford dealer in Geneva, NY

noldevin

Established Member
Don't pay them to install the wheel, it's stupid easy.
Have them replace the bag before you put the wheel in though. They didn't give me any problems for my GT500 wheel but you never know...

Users who are viewing this thread