Installing headers and midpipe this weekend

chao5.0

Established Member
here is a question for those that have done the install. how high does the car need to be in order to install LT's (not Kooks)? my only concern at the moment is that I won't be able to get the car high enough to complete the install. I have a low profile aluminum floor jack from harbor freight that I believe only goes up to 17.5" and when I was doing my suspension I didn't feel that was high enough for a header install.

orange_whiner

Pro-class stoplight racer
Established Member
here is a question for those that have done the install. how high does the car need to be in order to install LT's (not Kooks)? my only concern at the moment is that I won't be able to get the car high enough to complete the install. I have a low profile aluminum floor jack from harbor freight that I believe only goes up to 17.5" and when I was doing my suspension I didn't feel that was high enough for a header install.

I am doing the install on Walmart plastic rhino ramps. My car is lowered too. I can barely fit from the side. But if I go in from the front I have plenty of room with the pypes lt's. Yesterday afternoon I got the dr side done. And the stater out. No rush for me. I also did not drop the K member or the service tray. Oh and no ratcheting wrench either...* GET ONE UNLESS YOU WANT TO SPEND HOURS TIGHTENING UP NUTS AND BOLTS WITH A 1/4 TURN IF THAT.

scott_0

Established Member
I am doing the install on Walmart plastic rhino ramps. My car is lowered too. I can barely fit from the side. But if I go in from the front I have plenty of room with the pypes lt's. Yesterday afternoon I got the dr side done. And the stater out. No rush for me. I also did not drop the K member or the service tray. Oh and no ratcheting wrench either...* GET ONE UNLESS YOU WANT TO SPEND HOURS TIGHTENING UP NUTS AND BOLTS WITH A 1/4 TURN IF THAT.

How tight is your Pypes driver's side header to the floor board?

chao5.0

Established Member

oh if I do it I'm going buy a ratcheting wrench set and a reverse torx bit set along with a engine support bar that way I don't have to hold up the engine by the transmission with a jack. what I'm most concerned about is the actual header sliding up into place, I have the 1-7/8 SW headers and I hate to have my car down and apart due to not being able to finish the job.

scott_0

Established Member
FYI, a 6mm 12 point socket or ratcheting wrench will remove the header studs

scott_0

Established Member
It's not bad except where the header passes the bell housing. If it rattles I'll fix it later.
my first Pypes header was the same way

Ok I'm stuck. The top front nut on pass. side. There's an ac line in front of it. What were your solutions?
my nephew got it for me, be he said it takes A LOT of care not to puncture or break the line, he used a stubby ratcheting 15mm wrench

Ultrakla$$ic

WhoFlungPoo
Established Member
oh if I do it I'm going buy a ratcheting wrench set and a reverse torx bit set along with a engine support bar that way I don't have to hold up the engine by the transmission with a jack. what I'm most concerned about is the actual header sliding up into place, I have the 1-7/8 SW headers and I hate to have my car down and apart due to not being able to finish the job.

1353182033.jpg

4 jack stands all the way to the top catch will get you there. I installed my SW LT's myself and the raised car height comes in handy on the PASSENGER side when you have to twist and rotate the header up passed the transmission bell housing to get it to where it needs to go. Easy peasy, but the height allows the ease of rotation. I'm sure others magically waved a wand and their headers just appeared in place but believe me, it's tight any other way, but fits like a glove once passed the bell housing.

chao5.0

Established Member
1353182033.jpg

4 jack stands all the way to the top catch will get you there. I installed my SW LT's myself and the raised car height comes in handy on the PASSENGER side when you have to twist and rotate the header up passed the transmission bell housing to get it to where it needs to go. Easy peasy, but the height allows the ease of rotation. I'm sure others magically waved a wand and their headers just appeared in place but believe me, it's tight any other way, but fits like a glove once passed the bell housing.

if my car got this high when jacked up I wouldn't have a issue installing the headers but I might get one maybe notches up on the jack stand at the most. i'll jack it up again and see what the max height is and compare it to the height of the header and see if its worth fighting for. I could just pay a shop here to do it but so far no one else has touched my car except me when modding and I would like to keep it that way, plus the money I save I can put that towards getting my competition license for racing.

Users who are viewing this thread