installing diff A arm trouble

Swervedriver

Established Member
I'm putting the diff back up into the cobra, and I cannot get the A arm bolt through the a arm enough to see threads. I backed the bolt out just enough to pull the Cobra diff bracket when I was dropping the diff. In the past I would just air ratchet the bolt back in & it would walk right back into place. This time it's just free spinning! I've beat on the thing with a hammer, and basically wasted 2 hours of my life with it.

Does anybody have any ideas for me? Right now I'm thinking I'll try unbolting the shock, & wrapping on it with the hammer some more.

Can anybody tell me what has worked for them?

Swervedriver

Established Member
Problem solved without having to yank the spring out. I guess I was just tired Sunday.

Yesterday after work I just put the floor jack under the spring side of the a arm & jacked it up. That bolt was still stuck, but this time with a clear mind & better light I noticed the threads were catching on the top of the hole in the irs subframe. I just released the jack, then jacked it so that it barely lifted on the arm. I ended up with the arm perfectly suspended and the bolt could slide in so the end threads would catch. At that point I could just zip the bolt through the subframe & IRS brace. Torqued the nuts & now it's time to click the axles in.

Just some detailed fyi about a simple part of a diff r&r that can really be a pita if the garage is dark..

Users who are viewing this thread