Installing ATS Brembos on the Cobra.

boost88

Established Member
Anyone know if it's a must to use the stainless brake lines? Or just one of those nice to haves?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
IMO its a must. Those alone are an upgrade for even stock brakes. the rubber hoses will expand when the fluid sees a bunch of pressure. The stainless teflon lined hoses wont do that and will allow you to build that pressure more quickly and efficiently... Basically a more firm and responsive pedal.

Mustang5L5

Established Member
I don't think the OE lines will physically fit on the ATS brembos. I beleive they are also too short since the OE calipers mount up at one end, while the brembos mount up in the center of the caliper. The aftermarket braided lines are slightly longer and lack that 3-4" solid tube section that the OE 99-04 lines have.

Issa2vGT

Established Member
You’re correct, the stock lines have different banjo bolts as well and are not a direct fit to the brembos. If you’re doing the swap, my opinion is do it right, and grab the braided lines. Good luck.

AmericanRicer87

ON3WEGO
Established Member
Well I thought I would share my experience with doing this brake upgrade. It was as easy as previously stated in earlier posts. I chose to use the offset bushings from S&S Engineering, found them on Facebook, sent them a message, they responded very quickly and had a set out to me with in a week. I purchased the calipers new on Amazon, as well as Stoptech stainless lines. I chose to use Powerstop Z26 pads and the rotors were nothing special, just a set of eBay slotted and drilled black painted rotors. I had a set of billet specialties street lites on the car originally, they didn't come close to clearing the ATS brakes. I chose to go with a set of Weld Ventura 5's 18x8 in the front with a 5.625 offset and they clear by .045" which is plenty. (research I found .020 is minimal recommended) After a short 20 mile drive on the new set up, I can definitely tell a difference. The stock brakes just struggled to slow the car down from higher speeds. These Brembos have no issues at all. There is ever so slightly more pedal travel as well, but not enough that I felt like I was going to run out of stroke. (maybe 1/4" to 3/8") It also doesn't feel like the fronts are doing all of the work, the car still feels like its braking pretty evenly. In saying this I do plan on upgrading the rear brakes in the near future. For sub 600 bucks this is one of the better upgrades I have done to the car. Shout out to everyone for doing the research and making this upgrade as easy as it was.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    327.2 KB · Views: 177
  • Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    342.8 KB · Views: 162
  • Untitled3.jpg
    Untitled3.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 171
  • Untitled4.jpg
    Untitled4.jpg
    472 KB · Views: 176

AmericanRicer87

ON3WEGO
Established Member
Were any spacers needed to have the wheels clear?
No, Everything cleared with out spacers. I did reach out to weld before purchasing, they said "The Ventura series was designed to fit most modern cars with big brakes". I do have the ARP extended wheel studs and I will say they are almost a must.

Mustang5L5

Established Member
Ok, my calipers have been staring me in the face for the last year or so ever since i decided not to run them. I think I need to reconsider.

What as the final verdict in terms of using the '11-'14 non-brembo GT rotors (13.2"). How do these fit and what spacer was required? I never got a chance to experiment with this combo.

Last edited:

Liquidsnake

Lok'tar Ogar
Established Member
Ok, my calipers have been staring me in the face for the last year or so ever since i decided not to run them. I think I need to reconsider.

What as the final verdict in terms of using the '11-'14 non-brembo GT rotors (13.2"). How do these fit and what spacer was required? I never got a chance to experiment with this combo?

I did a fit test with them, you’ll need a slightly thicker hub spacer, I think it’s 3/16? And you will have pad overhang on the inside edge of the rotor vs outside edge, and it will be slightly more. I have about 1/8 or less overhang with the cobra rotors, with the 336mm 14’ rotors I had about 1/4 on the inside edge. The overhang is due to the groove around the hat. I couldn’t find any rotors without it.

Last edited:

lowranger96

Established Member

What as the final verdict in terms of using the '11-'14 non-brembo GT rotors (13.2"). How do these fit and what spacer was required? I never got a chance to experiment with this combo?

3/16 spacer required (I sell laser cut versions for $35/pair shipped) the pad fits great on the OD of the rotor, they hang off on the ID. Will obviously push the wheels out a bit more, but it is overall a beefier rotor.

Mustang5L5

Established Member
3/16 spacer required (I sell laser cut versions for $35/pair shipped) the pad fits great on the OD of the rotor, they hang off on the ID. Will obviously push the wheels out a bit more, but it is overall a beefier rotor.

I machined my calipers so that I could run them without a spacer (wanted to pull the wheels in as far as i could) with the cobra rotors, so I would need a slightly thinner spacer.

So 3/16" minus 0.075" means I need about a .1125" spacer. I'm sitting about 100 feet from a laser cutter so that really won't be an issue if needed.

I guess i need to rethink if it gains me anything to run those rotors vs stick with the cobra rotors. My overhang with the cobra rotors is not that bad really. If i'm trading the outer overhang for more inner overhang and pushing the wheels out further, it doesn't really make sense. Yes, the rotors are beefier, but for my driving needs it's not really necessary.

Plus now that i think about it. I don't really want to run Hub-spacer-rotor-spacer-rim. I'm sure it's fine, but I'd rather just run the single outer spacer if needed.

Stuff to ponder.

Liquidsnake

Lok'tar Ogar
Established Member
I machined my calipers so that I could run them without a spacer (wanted to pull the wheels in as far as i could) with the cobra rotors, so I would need a slightly thinner spacer.

So 3/16" minus 0.075" means I need about a .1125" spacer. I'm sitting about 100 feet from a laser cutter so that really won't be an issue if needed.

I guess i need to rethink if it gains me anything to run those rotors vs stick with the cobra rotors. My overhang with the cobra rotors is not that bad really. If i'm trading the outer overhang for more inner overhang and pushing the wheels out further, it doesn't really make sense. Yes, the rotors are beefier, but for my driving needs it's not really necessary.

Plus now that i think about it. I don't really want to run Hub-spacer-rotor-spacer-rim. I'm sure it's fine, but I'd rather just run the single outer spacer if needed.

Stuff to ponder.

You could also space the caliper back with washers between the caliper and spindle, in lieu of spacing the rotors out. It’s an option to think about. Baer uses this method.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Mustang5L5

Established Member
You could also space the caliper back with washers between the caliper and spindle, in lieu of spacing the rotors out. It’s an option to think about. Baer uses this method.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

That's true. Looks like i'll need to grab a cheapo rotor from local parts store and do some test fittin on my spare spindle.

GodStang

Established Member
Sorry if this has already been answered, but where can I find the Cobra and Brembo lettering? Anyone on this site make them? I know they have to be high temp

I know this is old but my wife has made many and will be glad to make more or will gladly send you the file we use to anyone that wants it. We’re use Oracle 651.

Blown38

Established Member
I know its not the cheap option on rotors, and thats the whole point of this brake mod. But I guess you could go to a 2 piece rotor to get full pad contact on the ID.

IllCobra

Established Member
I know this is old but my wife has made many and will be glad to make more or will gladly send you the file we use to anyone that wants it. We’re use Oracle 651.
I actually got a set from 98 SVT. But thanks. Now just need the time to do the install.

Mustang5L5

Established Member
I know its not the cheap option on rotors, and thats the whole point of this brake mod. But I guess you could go to a 2 piece rotor to get full pad contact on the ID.

The Baer 2-piece rotors do not fit with the ATS Brembos. The inner aluminum hat contacts the bottom edge of the caliper/pad.

I know someone who found that out the hard way.

Users who are viewing this thread