Installing a 2013 Premium Cluster into a 2011 Base Automatic

FiveLeeter918

OK Performance Fords
Established Member
I've spent the last year going back and forth on whether or not to do the 13 premium cluster swap, and finally decided to pull the trigger. I have a 2011 auto, and have been reading into the changes that need to take place for this to work. I got the As Built data for a 2013 Premium Auto, I know I have to repin the connector on the steering wheel controls to keep the functionality, and the ABS module from a 13, but beyond that I'm kinda lost as to what needs to happen.

I've heard things about adding a black box, about having to switch to Select Shift, and not really sure at what point all of this has to happen.

I'm not really concerned about the track apps. It'd be cool, but not worth doing an extra $1000 in mods to do.

Has anyone done it that can give me exact steps of what is needed for my application? Don't want to tear it apart and do the reprogramming just to find that I throw CELs every time I change gears.

FiveLeeter918

OK Performance Fords
Established Member
I guess another thing to note is that I already have a 2013 premium steering wheel with functional stereo controls by using 2013 boss ABD. Hopefully this saves me a little bit of wiring, but unsure.

stang910

Established Member
The cluster will work without any modifications, but a few of the lcd features won't work. To do that you just need to have PATs reprogrammed for you new cluster.

If you want everything to work you can flash the PCM to a 13 strategy which will need the 13 abs module to turn off the abs lights. Your 13 steering wheel should already be wired for the new cruise control buttons so you should be good there. You don't have to have select shift, but you'll be setup for it and it's only 3 wires that need to be added to the PCM so it's worth the extra work and $50-$100 for the select shift shifter.

Also instead of splicing into the wires into the wires behind the cluster you can de-pin 2 wires from the message center plug and just extend them to the clock spring. If you do it this way you'll have the correct pins for the clock spring.

Start the project and if you run into any problems PM me and I'll help you out. This is a pretty easy mod to do.

stang910

Established Member
You want to swap to a 11-12 premium cluster from a 11-12 base cluster? If so it's a direct swap you just have to do PATs to get the car to start.

Users who are viewing this thread