Installed K&N FIPK

NewToFord

Established Member
and all I can say is that I really like. The car pulls harder now, and it made the intake a little louder. install wasnt too bad, but you have to make sure you aline the aluminum ring just right. I am happy with it and next is the Magnaflow

oldmodman

Established Member
The K&N air-charger is going to be my next install too. Did you get #63-1051? How much was it and where did you find one? All the places that I have called had either never heard of it or were out of stock.

03 svtvenom

Repent!!!
Established Member
www.4filters.com for 169$ shipped to your door. It took a little over a week and a half to get it from California. Just put it on tonight but havent driven it yet. You can really here it sucking in air.:thumbsup:

NewToFord

Established Member
I bought it from auto zone, for about 170. It was fair considering I did not have to pay any shipping

wjfawb0

Established Member
I installed mine last week. It added well over a lb of boost. Now first gear is getting more and more useless at WOT. Can't keep the tires from spinning unless I work the gas pedal through first.

-Jason

Pic before install:

2003_9_11_Cobra_hood.jpg

Pics after my install:

2003_9_18_Cobra001.jpg

more images:
http://sweb.uky.edu/~wjfawb0/Mustang/2003_9_18_Cobra002.jpg
http://sweb.uky.edu/~wjfawb0/Mustang/2003_9_18_Cobra003.jpg

loose nut

Sofa King Fast
Established Member
installed 63-1051 from 4filters.com ...$169 delivered. Got it next day...but I live in CA. Nice people to deal with. VERY happy with it, noticable performance gain (based on SOTP).
After install BE SURE to reprogram the idle per the instructions in your Cobra owners manual (under battery replacement I think)...easy: just let car come to temp with everything turned off...let idle one minute at temp...then turn on A/C and let idle another minute.
Several hundred miles and no problems whatsoever.

wjfawb0

Established Member
YEah, I have nearly 1000 miles on my K&N aircharger.

I disconnected the battery during install. After finishing the install, I replugged the battery, started the car, let it idle in place for a few minutes, and then I drove it gently for a few miles. Then I let her have it and WOT I saw over 1lb more boost on the stock gauge. The tires break loose a whole lot quicker in first on dry pavement as well. :-D

-Jason

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
I've got several hundred miles on my car since instal. Instal took about an hour. Car breathes noticable better, works with my Magna CB. Picked up 1.5 psi of boost (estimated). Blower really whines in when you romp on it and get into the upper RPMs. Paid 169.99 plus shipping from Martel Brothers Racing. I didn't drill the hole in the fenderwell, I just used the one anchoring point at the radiator. The inlet tube, behind MAF, is sturdy enough with the one bracket so I felt drilling was unneccessary. I haven't had any probs with this setup thus far.

Quality mod, easy instal, SOTP improvement, better gas mileage (i think). :)

Last edited:

JaketheSnake

roll race? where?
Established Member
now its coming harder for me to decide on the knn or the php cai, the knn is cheaper and if it nets the same gains i think i iwll get it, wjfawb0, your install looks very clean btw

wjfawb0

Established Member
Thanks. The install only took me about 30 minutes, but I also did not drill the fender. The hardest part of the install is getting the trim around the edges of the heat shield. It is snug but that is good, cause it will form to the edges of the heat shield and stay in place. They supply about 2-3" too much trim so I cut it off with some fiskars type industrial scissors.The instructions have pictures and are very clear.

I kinda felt stupid at one point. I was trying to install the gaskets that go between the MAM and filter assembly during the install and had a hard time getting one of them to fit around the screen assembly. After a few minutes of tinkering with it, I realized the screen came out and looked at the instructions again. :read: I got a little too excited.

Luckily one of my better qualities is the ability to stay calm under pressure like taking a test or installing a new mod to my car. It helps me NOT screw things up. :rolling:

-Jason

JaketheSnake

roll race? where?
Established Member
i was looking at the stock airbox the ohter day, is it me or is it a pita to remove the box to get to the filter? i will be glad when I do it finally so that way the filter is easy to access

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Originally posted by JaketheSnake
i was looking at the stock airbox the ohter day, is it me or is it a pita to remove the box to get to the filter? i will be glad when I do it finally so that way the filter is easy to access

Actually, it's quite easy. Just remove one bolt, loosen the TB strap, unplug a few wiring connections, yank a hose, and the whole thing comes out. (It's easier than it sounds)

Users who are viewing this thread