Installed boss 302 intake then this

Gregory Nichols

Established Member
So I'm kinda lost as to what happened, cleaned everything really good, vacuumed out intake ports, started up fine at first and then some rpm dipping, afrs are 15s-14.7 oil press is good

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
Could something have dropped in to the ports while you had the intake off? Did you blow out the boss manifold before the install? To the question above about "driving" it before a re-tune, did you "start" it without a re-tune?

Gregory Nichols

Established Member
I vacuumed and blew out ports if engine, but I did not blow out intake, and yes I started it without retune, figured self correction would get it close

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
In that video, is it idling without the re-tune? Or is that after it was re-tuned? Also, of note, there isn't enough "self correction" in the system to correct for going from a stock manifold to the boss manifold. It shouldn't hardly idle at all, however, the blower is sending more air in at idle than without it.

jeffs

Established Member
I don't think you've hurt anything too bad yet, just start taking stuff apart from the top down, until you find something. Did you have timing cover , valve covers or anything else apart? Unless you rodded it, the tune isn't going to hurt anything idling in your garage. It may not run/idle right.

Gregory Nichols

Established Member
Nothing timing wise was apart, literally swapped intales and put a smaller pulley on proccharger guy I bought it from said he had that noise and it was crank pulley bolt loose, here's hoping lol

Gregory Nichols

Established Member
Guess what? Swapped intake back to stock and it's all good, it's just spark knock, that's crazy! That the boss makes that much of a difference

jeffs

Established Member
Guess what? Swapped intake back to stock and it's all good, it's just spark knock, that's crazy! That the boss makes that much of a difference
I'm glad your motor isn't hurt. I've never heard of spark knock at idle with no-load, I'd look at that intake closely. Maybe there was a good reason it was for sale?

Bill@HPTuners

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
In that video, is it idling without the re-tune? Or is that after it was re-tuned? Also, of note, there isn't enough "self correction" in the system to correct for going from a stock manifold to the boss manifold. It shouldn't hardly idle at all, however, the blower is sending more air in at idle than without it.

Incorrect, 100% false. BTW I can say this because I've done the testing.

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
Seriously? You can't even install the JLT intake tube (the one that requires a tune) without the car idling like shit. And yes, I've done that to see if it was true. So, I'd ask that you share your data around the testing you did because I have a tough time believing this.

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
And just to note, there have been others that have attempted to run the car with just a boss intake manifold and throttle body without a retune and it would barely run.

basspro302

Established Member
Call out the guy at hp tuners lol. If you put one of those garbage throttle bodys on then ya it wont run right. It should be fine with just a boss mani. Sounds like the op had a serious vacuum leak the way it was idling. I have pinched a gasket on another car one cyl running way to lean and surging + misfire.

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
I think it's fair to ask a technical question from HP Tuners.

Last edited:

Gregory Nichols

Established Member
Call out the guy at hp tuners lol. If you put one of those garbage throttle bodys on then ya it wont run right. It should be fine with just a boss mani. Sounds like the op had a serious vacuum leak the way it was idling. I have pinched a gasket on another car one cyl running way to lean and surging + misfire.

No vac leak, that's what I thought at first but sprayed it down with tb cleaner and it was solid, no idle change, I was shocked because it ran great after a little bit of idling with perfect afr, just sounded like crap lol

Gregory Nichols

Established Member
Thanks, I never even thought to plug in my sct, I was more flabbergasted than anything lol, yep she going on Dyno this weekend on boss intake and 10 lbs, should make Around 620 on 93 I recon

Users who are viewing this thread