Installed an MGW Shifter

FL.-Frank

Established Member
Replaced the factory shifter today with a new MGW shifter with their “comfort” shaft.

Although it’s expensive, it’s definitely a quality piece...and made in the USA.

What a difference! Shifts are now crisp and precise... up and down...through all of the gears. Driving the car is so much more enjoyable now!

GodStang

Established Member
Yep MGW is local group that does a lot with the car community. Great guys and great pieces!

jdant

Established Member
Just installed mine as well. I went with the standard handle and love it! So much better than the Steeda Tri-Ax I took out. Glad I made the switch.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
One of my first mods on the cobra. I just ordered a mgw for my 90 coupe.

Good choice!

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I'm a guy who had a bunch of steedas and now have my first mgw and honestly don't like it. I gave in to the hype and was a little disappointed. lol

cbehr

Established Member
I'm a guy who had a bunch of steedas and now have my first mgw and honestly don't like it. I gave in to the hype and was a little disappointed. lol

Maybe a switch of handles and you'd like it better?

Plan on selling it?

Coosawjack

Established Member
My 2014 GT shifter was very vague and the MGW helped a LOT but my OEM shifter in the 2019 GT it pretty damn good as far as I can tell!!:D

I looked at installing an MGW in this car and what was involved removing the OEM shifter and don't think I'd tackle it especially since I have an extended Ford Warranty!!:cool:

Goocher0310th

Established Member
I installed one recently on my 03. Leaps and bounds better than the UPR short throw that was already on my car when I bought it. Got one of CobraBobs gaskets to go with it as well. Highly recommended upgrade.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
For those who asked, I remember everyone saying how notchy the tri-ax shifter was and that mgw was smoother or more refined, something along those lines. I personally like the notchy, going into gear feel. My mgw feels notchy but not satisfying notchy so to me it feels like it's not going into gear but it is. The tri-ax always felt like it went into gear solidly.

If that makes any sense. Could be bias as I had 3 tri-ax's and now this on mgw but I just don't love the feel of shifting with it. I have the middle handle, can't remember what it's called but it's not handle position that's the issue. I'm going to keep it for the time being and see if it grows on me more. I've probably put 1000 miles on the car with the shifter.

Liquidsnake

Lok'tar Ogar
Established Member
If I had a steeda tri-axe now I wouldn’t replace it with an MGW, I think they’re just as good. A while back(2012) I replaced a steeda for an MGW only for the handle and to be honest, wasn’t blown away. I think the two-bolt handle is much more convenient to remove than fiddling with the clamp style bolts on the MGW.

jwcobra03

Established Member
For those who asked, I remember everyone saying how notchy the tri-ax shifter was and that mgw was smoother or more refined, something along those lines. I personally like the notchy, going into gear feel. My mgw feels notchy but not satisfying notchy so to me it feels like it's not going into gear but it is. The tri-ax always felt like it went into gear solidly.

If that makes any sense. Could be bias as I had 3 tri-ax's and now this on mgw but I just don't love the feel of shifting with it. I have the middle handle, can't remember what it's called but it's not handle position that's the issue. I'm going to keep it for the time being and see if it grows on me more. I've probably put 1000 miles on the car with the shifter.
You want the MGW to feel more notchy and have gear confirmation, lower the handle(shorten). If you prefer smoother and less effort, raise the handle up. One of the biggest benefits imo, is the ability to fine tune the shifter. It makes quite a difference in the feel.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Literally might be the first person in the history of forever and ever to not like his MGW shifter.

Others (a minority) have said similar over time. The vast majority like the MGW at lot, but some just find it not to their liking for different reasons. That's to be expected. We all have our preferences, likes and dislikes. It is definitely the best engineered, and one with unique design and engineering. It's in a class by itself IMO. George and MGW have every reason to be proud of their products.

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
I've had MGWs on a Camaro and on a couple Mustangs. Just installed one on my current Mustang with a T56 Magnum.

Even with the alleged "short shifter" that comes from Tremec on the Magnum, the MGW is loads better. The Tremec felt sloppy to me, and that was highlighted when I pulled it off the car and saw there was really no "return spring" action to pull the shifter back to the 3-4 gate; it kind of just flops around. By contrast, it was hard even getting the MGW out of the 3-4 gate by hand without leverage that comes once you install it.

Once installed, it feels crisp and obviously shorter. I knew it was great when my girlfriend tried to row through the gears sitting in the garage and hated it, LOL

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
I've had MGWs on a Camaro and on a couple Mustangs. Just installed one on my current Mustang with a T56 Magnum.

Even with the alleged "short shifter" that comes from Tremec on the Magnum, the MGW is loads better. The Tremec felt sloppy to me, and that was highlighted when I pulled it off the car and saw there was really no "return spring" action to pull the shifter back to the 3-4 gate; it kind of just flops around. By contrast, it was hard even getting the MGW out of the 3-4 gate by hand without leverage that comes once you install it.

Once installed, it feels crisp and obviously shorter. I knew it was great when my girlfriend tried to row through the gears sitting in the garage and hated it, LOL

What MGW do you have that fits a T56 magnum? Is this at the forward shifter position or the rear with the 6 bolts? I've never seen a MGW that fits the magnum which is why I went with a bowler performance one.

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
What MGW do you have that fits a T56 magnum? Is this at the forward shifter position or the rear with the 6 bolts? I've never seen a MGW that fits the magnum which is why I went with a bowler performance one.

They look a little plain versus the flat sticks offered with more mainstream transmissions. But, boy does it feel great rowing through the gears

Attachments

• AB837E2D-7E57-4E24-B04E-203AB789052E.jpeg
    AB837E2D-7E57-4E24-B04E-203AB789052E.jpeg
    19.2 KB · Views: 145
  • AF1D6932-4405-4EF6-883D-697ACE14E181.jpeg
    AF1D6932-4405-4EF6-883D-697ACE14E181.jpeg
    21.6 KB · Views: 128
  • EC1064A6-25DE-4F1D-B74E-5A0B2183BDFB.jpeg
    EC1064A6-25DE-4F1D-B74E-5A0B2183BDFB.jpeg
    21.8 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread