Installation of the Ford Racing CAI Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

6-Speed

Established Member
The Ford Racing Cold Air Intake PN M-9603-SVT07 is fairly easy to install on the GT500 (2007 to 2009). Ford Racing provides an excellent set of instructions for the installation. The information herein provides additional insight with visual aids that describe the procedures I used to install the CAI kit on my car.

Here is a link to the Ford Racing instructions:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/download/instructionsheets/FordInstShtM-9603-SVT07.pdf

Here is a list of tools and supplies used for the install:

1. 1/4" and 3/8" ratchet handles with extensions as needed
2. 8mm & 10mm sockets
3. 8mm box-end combination wrench
4. T-20 Torx socket
5. Various torque wrenches (low and medium torque - graduated in lb-in or Nm)
6. Medium strength thread locker (Loctite 242 - blue or equivalent)
7. One M8 Stainless Steel flat washer (available at ACE Hardware)

Assemble the Clean Air Inlet Tube:

1. The first thing I did was install the support bracket to the clean air tube per the instructions. Be sure to apply Loctite to the M6 x 13 bolt prior to installation. The bracket is positioned using the alignment marks (circled in photo below). Torque the bolt to 88 lb-in (10 Nm). Allow some time for the Loctite to dry.

tube_support_bracket-1.jpg

2. With the clamp installed on the neck of the air filter, assemble the neck of the air filter over the inlet side of the clean air tube aligning the metal seam on the filter with the alignment mark on the clean air tube.

3. Rotate the clamp so the worm screw is on the top unlike how it is shown in the picture above otherwise you won’t be able to easily access the worm screw from the top. Then tighten the worm screw on the clamp to 26 lb-in (3 Nm) using an 8mm socket. Set the filter aside.

filter_alignment.jpg

Remove the OEM Airbox and MAF Sensor:

4. Disconnect the negative terminal clamp on the battery, then disconnect positive terminal using an 8mm wrench.

5. Disconnect the MAF sensor wiring plug connected to the stock airbox by backing out (toward the wires) the red slider latch on the bottom of the plug then gently pulling it out from the MAF sensor receptacle. The picture below shows the slider latch in the “un-latched” position.

MAF_Connector.jpg

6. The stock airbox is attached with a single M6 bolt; this bolt will be re-used to secure the CAI airbox. Remove the bolt using a 10mm socket.

IMG_1740.jpg

7. Loosen the worm screw on the inlet tube clamp with an 8mm socket and remove the tube from the stock air box. Then lift the airbox out of the engine bay.

8. Remove the two screws that secure the MAF sensor to the stock airbox using a T-20 Torx driver and remove the MAF sensor.

IMG_1753.jpg

Complete Assembly of Air inlet/Airbox:

9. Install the MAF sensor on the clean air tube using the screws removed from the stock airbox; install sensor in the same orientation. There is an arrow on the MAF sensor mounting flange that shows the direction of the intake airflow (arrow points towards the smaller opening - to the right in the photo below); plus the screws will only line up with the mounting holes if the MAF sensor is oriented correctly. Tighten the screws with a T-20 Torx driver.

Note: The Ford Racing instructions say to torque the screws to 35 lb-in (4 Nm), but the Mustang shop manual specifies only 18 lb-in (2 Nm). I followed the Ford Racing instructions.

MAF_Installed.jpg

10. Remove the rubber grommet (shown by green circle) from the stock airbox. Then push out the metal sleeve from the grommet. Re-install on the Ford Racing airbox by pushing the rubber part of the grommet through rear airbox hole until it straddles the hole then push the metal sleeve through the center hole of the grommet.

11. Remove the other two rubber grommets that insert into pegs on the stock airbox (shown by yellow circles). These may have come off and are still in the engine bay.

oem_airbox-1.jpg
relocate_grommet.jpg

12. Install the small grommet and sleeve that came with the CAI kit into the front airbox hole.

CAI_Front_Grommet.jpg

13. Before securing the clean air tube to the airbox, check that the clamp on the neck of the filter is oriented such that the worm drive is accessible from the top.

14. Assemble the CAI clean air tube to the airbox housing with the two M6 x 13 bolts and torque to 88 lb-in (10 Nm).

IMG_1763.jpg
filter_install_on_airbox.jpg

Install CAI Airbox in the Engine Bay:

15. Remove the ABS module bolt with a 10mm socket. This bolt will be replaced with a longer M8 x 33 bolt that comes with the kit.

ABS_Bolt_1.jpg

16. Install the two peg grommets in the chassis holes as shown.

grommets_2.jpg

17. Lower the airbox assembly into the engine bay such that the pegs on the bottom of the airbox fit into the rubber grommets and the front grommet aligns over the ABS module mounting hole.

18. Install the stock M6 bolt through the rear grommet (yellow circle). I placed a M8 stainless steel flat washer (not included) between the M8 x 33 ABS module bolt and the front grommet to prevent wear & tear on the grommet. I installed the M8 bolt through the front grommet (green circle) threading it into the ABS module bracket. I torqued the M8 bolt (green circle) to 221 lb-in (18 lb-ft or 25 Nm) and the M6 bolt (yellow circle) to 88 lb-in (10 Nm) using a 10mm socket.

mounting.jpg

19. Install the stock inlet tube over the clean air tube and tighten the worm drive to 26 lb-in (3 Nm) using an 8mm socket. Check all connections are secure from filter to the throttle body.

FRPP_CAI_1_9_2008.jpg

20. Re-install the wiring plug to the MAF sensor (red slide latch facing down) and push the slide latch towards the sensor to lock it in place.

IMG_3908.jpg

21. Reconnect both terminals of the battery – positive terminal first then the negative.

Note: Make sure battery is charged prior to loading new calibration.

22. Load the new calibration – All done! Refer to the Procal II intro at the following link:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/how-279/642345-intro-procal-ii-programmer.html

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
This is an absolutely superb writeup you've done 6-speed! When I upgraded my '09 GT500 using this kit, FRPP failed to include any instructions, as the Procal II had just come out. I had to figure out where everything went via trial and error. Using this writeup in concert with FRPP's now included instructions should make this far easier.

Something that should probably be mentioned here. I added this kit with ~15 miles or so on the odometer (drove it home from the dealer and parked it). I kept getting an error code, P1000 (monitor testing incomlete). In other words, I really hadn't put enough miles on the car yet for it to settle down and accept some PCM changes. After two tries, I was able to clear the code and begin the software ugrade.

I've since used the Procal II to update the PCM when I changed the gear ratio. A really sweet piece and a big improvement over the original unit.

Again, nice work documenting this.

Tob

...and for some reason, FRPP didn't include an EO sticker either...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread