Install Tip for McLeod RXT twin disc clutch

Canman2531

Established Member
I recently installed a McLeod RXT twin disc clutch and new McLeod Aluminum Flywheel. Also installed a McLeod Clutch Quadrant and McLeod Firewall Adjuster. The previous setup was stock, and I did not change the stock pivot ball at that time. (Before the install, I had read on SVTP that with a clutch change, some people had shorted the pivot ball, others had lengthened it, some left it alone and it was fine).

I installed all of the above, and no matter what adjustment I made with the firewall adjuster, the clutch pedal was only effective when my knee was in the roof (it engaged/disengaged at a very high point).

As it turned out, the clutch was never totally disengaging. I know this because the engine RPMs were normal, but the car wasn't pulling nearly as hard as it used to.

My problem was that the stock pivot ball was too close to the clutch and the throw out bearing (TOB) was putting too much contact on the clutch fingers to let it totally disengage. This makes sense looking back, because if I had to guess, the new dual clutch assembly as a whole is thicker than the stock one (which puts it closer to the clutch fork and TOB).

My solution was removing the stock pivot ball and installing a McLeod adjustable pivot ball. When I screwed the new pivot ball all the way in to the trans cover (no cutting necessary), it shortened the pivot ball 3/8". (picture attached)

The car now shifts like it used to. I hope this helps somebody out.

20170930_115122_zpsiyrppewb.jpg

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Good info! Thanks for sharing. I am one of the folks who reused the stock pivot ball.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
I haven't had any problems. 2 cars with rxt and rst's on each (4 installs).

On my latest install, the pedal is kinda high and the adjuster is in almost all the way in, similar to what you described, but it is not slipping at all.

I did buy a lakewood adjustable ball for my first install (just in case) but never used it.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
the reason i wanted to try it with the stock ball on my first install, and see how it would work, is because i tried to make a lot of measurements and comparisons to the stock clutch beforehand, and i really did not find a measurable difference in the overall thickness between the two clutch assemblies.

i used a caliper and straightedge, and tried it with flywheel and without, from crank mounting area to pp fingers, from mounting area to fw face, etc.

i expected the overall assembly to be thicker because of it having two discs, but actually each disc (the splined area) is less than half the thickness of one conventional stock disc.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
but if/when i pull one of these rst's for a tob or something, perhaps i will try my adjustable ball and see if it might make a difference similar to what you described.

Users who are viewing this thread