install new brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

shipwreck17

I Bleed Blue
Established Member
Heres a pretty good writeup of how to install new front brake pads.

http://svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282039&highlight=side+brake+pads

Thanks blackfang

The only thing i will add is how to install new rotors and rear pads.

Rotors (front and rear are basicly the same

1. remove caliper from caliper mounting bracket as in the instructions above.

2. remove 2 bolts holding on each caliper mounting bracket

3. the rotor is now (free) to come off but may very well be rusted onto the hub. If so it will be very hard to remove w/o damaging the rotor. But if you are replacing the rotor a good size hammer works wonders. If you want to remove the rotor for some other reason and dont want to damage it i would suggest pb blaster or another penetrant but would not use heat there because of the hub bearings and seals.

To replace REAR pads

1. with car on jackstands and wheel removed release the parking brake.

2. then you can remove the caliper bolts and pry the calipers off of the pads/ rotor. These pads do not lock into the caliper like our front pads do.

3. to retract the rear calipers to fit new pads in you need a special tool. The cheapest version is a cube that you can get at any auto parts store for a couple bucks. It has 2 pins that fit into the rear caliper and then the piston must be screwed into the caliper. It cannot be pressed in like the front calipers because of the parking brake mechanism. It takes a bit of pressure on the tool while turning to get the piston to screw back into the caliper so i like to put a big c clamp on the tool and turn it from the side using a socket extention. Like this :

489742_43_full.jpg

Then grease the mating surfaces on the pads and reinstall the caliper.

Hey everybody look at me..... I just made my first "how to" :coolman:

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
thanks! i've yet to replace pads on the mustang yet. I replaced the front ones on my driver (expedition) and it was easy. I wouldn't have thought the rear were different. I know now!

thanks again!

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Just one clarification point - I've done this once on my old '95, and I'd hate to see someone put grease on the new brake pads ... LOL

... to replace REAR pads ... "then grease the mating surfaces on the pads and reinstall the caliper."

I believe you meant to say " ... grease the backsides of the new pads." I know it would be common sense, but in the heat of battle, after just having your butt kicked by the front rotors, there's no telling what someone might do. I'm sure that I've done some very stupid things with my tools before.

shipwreck17

I Bleed Blue
Established Member
Yes i like to grease the backsides of the pad and the ears (fronts have them dont remember if the rears do) and the springs on the top of the pads.

Also you should re grease the sleeves/ pins the caliper slides on.

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
I thought you were supposed to put that non squeak grease shit they give you on the pad faces to make sure they don't squeak on the face of the rotors... I could have sworn that's what my buddy that works at a shop did last time he changed my front pads for me.

shipwreck17

I Bleed Blue
Established Member
I tried it once and didnt really like it. I guess its personal preference. I do what i posted every time and my brakes NEVER SQUEAK. Any quality pad shouldnt need any additives on the face of the pad IMO. The pads and rotors do need to be cleaned w/ brake cleaner though. Espicially if you get the grease on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread