Insight needed... Heavy smoke out of exhaust

Red Poison

Over it
Established Member
Where do I start... Car had a KB 2.2 tuned by Lund, ran strong but I decided to get rid of it and build what I always wanted... Lets just say, it isn't supercharged anymore. Anyway, pulled the blower off and the car sat (garaged) for a year and 10 months before the next time it was started. Completed my new build, and drove around for maybe 200 miles, never getting in boost - after spending over $12k, I'm not that stupid. So to my tune date comes and after having it strapped down, the fun begins. First pull was to 4k, just setting things up...second the same. Third was to 4.5k and then the smoke machine started. Filled the entire garage with cloud white smoke so everything came to a stop. Pulled the PCV hose to the passenger side valve cover and there was faint smoke and oil coming out. Both valve covers are running to a vented catch can on the back of my front bumper support. After letting it idle for a bit, the amount of smoke faded but there was still traces in the exhaust. We figured it was because the car had never been boosted since the new setup was installed. We paused for lunch and got back to it. The very next pull was to 6k, car made 369hp at 6lbs of boost and then all the smoke again. We were trying to get it to at least the waste gate spring (7lbs) but called quits after we couldn't breath. We pulled the plugs and checked them out... Ground straps were normal and so was the porcelain (tr6's) but the threads had some oil on them. Compression test showed some pretty bad numbers but I don't really remember what they were, but several of the cylinders were under 100. Put the car back together and drove home. Car smoked for maybe 3 miles and that was the last time I saw it. I bought a compression tester the next day and did the test myself. Here's what the numbers were:
20130913_162619_zps6db98769.jpg

I changed the oil right after and it looked fine (oil only had maybe 300 miles on it). I can't really enjoy the car the way I want to but I'm tired if driving a Prius so I drive the car anyway. Haven't had a single problem out of it.

My question is what could it be and what worst cast, on average what would I pay to fix it? I planned on building it to hold 800-900hp safely but I know that would require a full build, but I'd rather get all I could out of this motor before dropping that kind of money...or maybe that ship has sailed. I just don't understand how my motor went from fine to ****ed up without driving it.

Any insight or advice would be appreciated. I'm a month away from closing on another house and the timing couldn't be worse. I've been without my car for damn near 2 years and I'd like to get it back to kill mode sooner than later. I know if I build it, it will be another 6-8 months before I get it to OVERKILL mode.

Thanks in advance:beer:

Last edited:

SNK-BITE

Established Member
Seems like there is something serious going on. You did not mention how much boost you are running but, I assume you are turbo now. At only 396Hp you have big big problems. A little more info about your set up would be helpful. Your compression is all over the place, what method did you use to take the readings?

Last edited:

Cobra03SC

Established Member
Ide say with those compression numbers you are looking at the very least a re-ring. Worst case you are going to be building a shortblock. 174 173 and 166 are about what they all should be... Obviously something is very wrong.

Red Poison

Over it
Established Member
Seems like there is something serious going on. You did not mention how much boost you are running but, I assume you are turbo now. At only 396Hp you have big big problems. A little more info about your set up would be helpful. Your compression is all over the place, what method did you use to take the readings?

I bought a Crastman test kit from Sears. Did the dry test... never did the wet. Had a jumper on the battery the entire time to ensure there was full juice. Bwttery wws bought brand new a week prior to the car starting for the first time. Motorcraft.

As far as boost, that's a difficult question to answer because I don't think I could say I was running any boost. Literally, the setup went on, I went to get an alignment and put some miles on it to ensure there were no leaks and everything was setup properly. The only boost the car saw was on the dyno. It saw on that one pull... 6lbs, and that's all it has seen.

Edit... 6lbs, original post updated.

Last edited:

filthymcnasty

Established Member
Is it possible that sitting that long caused some corrosion to form on some of the cylinder walls and, upon startup, damaged the rings?

Red Poison

Over it
Established Member
Right now you would be the 3rd person that suggested that, and one was an egine builder that's been in the game for 40 yrs. I didn't know that could happen. It sat without the lower intake and blower on it so there was definitely an opening into the engine.

I checked the catch can today and I got a good amount of water and some oil out of it. Don't know if that suggests anything.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. It does not sound good for your motor but hopefully its something small. If the motor is bad time to build something bigger and better. Goodluck with everything.

Avispa

Established Member
Water in the catch can....REALLY REALLY bad. That's condensed water vapor from blow-by (combustion gas leaking past the rings into the crankcase). If you have that much blow-by, your rings aren't sealing well at all.

Answer to your question about siting for a long time is absolutely yes. I'd bet on at least one or two broken rings or they go so worn from rust on the cylinder walls that the ring end gap is way past the upper end of the service specification.

Last edited:

Red Poison

Over it
Established Member
Thanks everyone for the insight. As much as I would like to think its something simple or specific to just the head gasket, I'm starting to believe more and more that I habe a greater issue. Guess there's nothing left to do but spend more money:cryying:

speeddemon2000

Established Member
It sounds like You are going to have to tear it down unfortunately.

Sounds like you have issues with your rings. You might have some piston damage too.

It's going to need new rings and hone at a minimum. You'll want new bearings and ARP everything too if you don't already have them. You'll want to do all new gaskets including the head gaskets.

707svt

Venom Feeder
Established Member
When my car blew out smoke like it was taking bong hits I had melted a piston, probably not what happen to yours since you still have some type of comprestion but deffenatly sounds like a tear down.

Users who are viewing this thread