Inquiring about a vehicle...

gilby959798

Wyatt's daddy!
Established Member
I found a vehicle that is setting about a mile and a half from my house. Said vehicle is setting on the wheels (all 4 tires are flat) in a car port and the house has no one living there. I looked the property information up on the county website and it has a P.O. box listed for tax information to be sent to. I have stopped a few times to see if anyone is home and even stopped and asked the neighbors if they had any info on the residents. The neighbor was really helpful and told me that they do come around every once in a while but it is hit or miss if you could catch them. I was thinking about sending the guy a letter to see if he was interested in selling it and hopefully making it my next project. I stopped and looked it over a little bit and it looks to be in decent shape body wise. If it is a mechanical problem I know I can fix it or have my father and brother help me fix it up. It would specifically be a toy and only be driven on nice days in the summer unless I absolutely had to drive it in the winter (it could handle it). Have any of you saw a car you were interested in but couldn't get a hold of the owner? Would any of you think about doing this?

Discuss:

Cliffs: Found interesting vehicle but owner lives somewhere else.

gilby959798

Wyatt's daddy!
Established Member
H1 wagon... I knew you guys would want to know but it isn't something needed just something bad ass

THE_STIG

Established Member
H1 wagon... I knew you guys would want to know but it isn't something needed just something bad ass

That is pretty sweet, I would definitely try to contact the owner about getting the truck. I had a case similar to this, a house was for sale for years, there was an older Porsche just rotting in the driveway. I talked to neighbors, and they gave me a realtor's card, so I called the realtor about it and he very rudely said the owner is not selling the car, do not call again. A few months later I see the car sitting in a local junk yard, so I went it and stripped it of parts.

MTBSully

Established Member
good for you for trying. When I was 16 there was a 90s foxbody GT that i had passed every day for 6+ years (same as yours, parked in a field, grass mowed around the car, dead grass under the car. Hadnt moved in years). I finally stopped one day, knocked on the door and asked if it was for sale. Guy said no he was going to fix it someday. Here we are 6 years later and the thing is still rotting there in significantly worse condition than the first time i drove by it.

Stupid trailer trash are so stubborn

SHOdown220

Established Member
I found an old svo about 2 years ago parked in the back of a dealership, it had been sitting for 14 years at that time. I found the owner and said he was going to fix it some day so he couldn't sell it. Still sittin there today, some people I swear...

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I've been down this road so many times I don't even ask anymore. They either want 5 times what it is worth or they are "gonna fix it up one day". But maybe you'll have better luck.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
I bought my first mustang that way. I just stopped by daily and bugged the shit out of the guy for over a year.

gilby959798

Wyatt's daddy!
Established Member
I hate when I see a decent car and it never moves and ends up a POS. I know this guy is going to want more than I want to spend but I know how much it could take to get it back on the road. I would've bugged this guy already if he was available. I am stuck writing a letter or trying to catch him when he is there.

THE_STIG

Established Member
I hate when I see a decent car and it never moves and ends up a POS. I know this guy is going to want more than I want to spend but I know how much it could take to get it back on the road. I would've bugged this guy already if he was available. I am stuck writing a letter or trying to catch him when he is there.

Time to do a stake out, post up a pic of said hummer when you get a chance.

gilby959798

Wyatt's daddy!
Established Member
IMG_20120313_192743.jpg

Crappy cell phone pic

THE_STIG

Established Member
A old beat up car worth less than $5k I could see but that truck fixed up is still worth something like $40-50,000. Might be more to that truck than the owner not caring about it.

crouton

Crunchy Cube
Established Member
That is pretty sweet, I would definitely try to contact the owner about getting the truck. I had a case similar to this, a house was for sale for years, there was an older Porsche just rotting in the driveway. I talked to neighbors, and they gave me a realtor's card, so I called the realtor about it and he very rudely said the owner is not selling the car, do not call again. A few months later I see the car sitting in a local junk yard, so I went it and stripped it of parts.

Similar story, my friends and I knew a fellow with quite a few decent cars such as foxes and older f150s... He would never sell them to us, or he would ask a ridiculous price....

Funny thing is, he would give us the keys to his compound and let us take any parts we wished for free... :shrug:

I restored my 86 5.0 for next to nothing thanks to that. Simply strange.

Last

Established Member
Similar story, my friends and I knew a fellow with quite a few decent cars such as foxes and older f150s... He would never sell them to us, or he would ask a ridiculous price....

Funny thing is, he would give us the keys to his compound and let us take any parts we wished for free... :shrug:

I restored my 86 5.0 for next to nothing thanks to that. Simply strange.

He probably murdered people and took their cars.

I hate seeing such nice cars sit and rot. Close to where I grew up there was a guy with a 67 mustang coupe, no engine or interior, just perfect body and glass. When I was 15 and got my first job I tried to buy it off of him. He stopped answering the door I bothered him so much. I went back to visit a few months ago and guess what? They moved it about 20 feet when they put in new fence and its still sitting there!!

I would love to have an H1 wagon!

Blkdvl

Founding Fathers
Established Member
That H1 is still worth 25k-30k as it sits (unless it has a blown motor), but even with major mechanical problems that thing isn't worth less then 15k at least. Good luck with that one....

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'd say contact the owner at his PO Box. You haven't nothing to lose and you'll find out either way if he/she is interested in parting with it. If they know the value of what they have, don't expect a basement price. They might very well hold out for more money than you're willing to spend. Let us know how you make out if you do decide to contact the owner.

gilby959798

Wyatt's daddy!
Established Member
Letter is written and going to be sent Monday. I realize it's still worth a lot of money but the initial maintenance would be a lot too. Luckily I have the facilities to work on it and if I can't at my house I can at my fathers. I would have to get that thing cheap enought to make it worth my while and it's only worth what someone is willing to pay and I have that number in mind. If I can't buy it I have a buddy interested that can afford it. I've bought plenty of cars for way less than they were worth and fixed them and sold them for a helluva profit around my area, so hopefully I can work my magic again. One car I tripled my money. Everything else has more than covered the costs. Diesel prices aren't getting cheaper either. I actually have never seen an h1 on the road in my area so I was surprised to find something so close to the house. Its amazing what you can find when you're daydreaming going down the road...

megameGT500

Suck it up and drive on!!
Established Member
good for you for trying. When I was 16 there was a 90s foxbody GT that i had passed every day for 6+ years (same as yours, parked in a field, grass mowed around the car, dead grass under the car. Hadnt moved in years). I finally stopped one day, knocked on the door and asked if it was for sale. Guy said no he was going to fix it someday. Here we are 6 years later and the thing is still rotting there in significantly worse condition than the first time i drove by it.

Stupid trailer trash are so stubborn

To him it would be like you selling your summer home.:rockon:

He might be a redneck if......... he considers his other car vacation rental property.:rolling:

Users who are viewing this thread