Inner tie rod leak, how to proceed

Status
Not open for further replies.

333arod333

SVT Disciple
Established Member
So I've always had a very small leak from my inner tie rod. The rubber boot that covers it has always been wet. Now it has turned worse. I went through a bottle of power steering in 2 days.

So do I replace the inner tie rod or the whole steering rack? I don't know exactly how the seals work in there. If I replace the inner tie rod will that stop the leak? Will that reseal the system? Or do I buy a seal separately? I just don't know how the rack works exactly.

I don't have that much money right now so I wouldn't want to replace the whole rack...

03SonicVert

Ford Junkie since 1996
Established Member
I think the only fix is the rack. The inner tie rod threads onto the rack and there is no PS fluid in the inner tie rod or seal.
Unless you have someone locally that can rebuild the unit then you will need the rack.

SV

333arod333

SVT Disciple
Established Member
Damn.

So where would the leak be coming from? There isn't a seal between the inner tie rod and rack that might have gone out?

03SonicVert

Ford Junkie since 1996
Established Member
The seal is held inside the aluminum rack housing and seals to the ram that slides back and forth/side to side. The inner tie rod only threads onto onto this shaft.

steering_rack_cutaway.gif

Last edited:

333arod333

SVT Disciple
Established Member
Wow I was just looking on Rockauto and saw the seal kit and wanted to post to ask about it. Little did I know u were doing the same. Nice.

So how the hell would I get the old seals out and the new one in?

Has anyone on here done just the seals?

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
In the mean time, try lucus power steering fluid with sealer. I put some in my camry and stopped the leak I had. Just warm the bottle up a little before pouring it in.

333arod333

SVT Disciple
Established Member
Hmm. I could try that. I like Lucas stuff.

I guess I have to change my whole rack though eventually. Damn.

Time to look up the how to.

03' White Snake

Established Member
I tried to rebuild my rack with the rockauto kit. Its very hard to get the seals out. They are not at the ends like shown in the pic, they are way down inside the tube. It took some special tools to get them out. I ended up buying a new rack from Rockauto.com. Make sure you get the cobra rack as the gear ratio is different.

Here's what it looks like disassembled.

photobucket-1548-1362848494516_zps1c35468b.jpg

Last edited:

333arod333

SVT Disciple
Established Member
I guess I'll just have to get a new rack then.

That sucks.

I'm guessing removal is just two bolts and a line or two.

03' White Snake

Established Member
Tie rods, 2 bolts on the rack, 2 lines and 1 bolt in the steering shaft. Its very easy to change.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Rock auto may list the rack as a "cobra rack" but verify with the part numbers before you install it.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I had my seals bust completely a couple years ago - let me tell you - if you loose all your Power Steering fluid you loose your power brakes too. That really sucks.

333arod333

SVT Disciple
Established Member
Ordered a new rack today from Autozone. They had a great black friday deal of 20% off and a $20 gift card plus free shipping. Can't really beat that. Also, lifetime warranty which is great.

Anyone find it necessary to use top of the line power steering fluid? Or use that Lucas conditioner in addition to fluid?

Do I need to use a flare wrench on the hard lines going to the rack? Thanks

Last edited:

333arod333

SVT Disciple
Established Member
Damn it. The part I ordered from autozone is the 22-233. From the link above I'm reading that it's supposed to be a 22-2000.

It says on their site that it fits an 03 cobra...

So are they sending me the wrong one?!?!?

Last edited:

03' White Snake

Established Member
It will still work. Just the turning gear ratio is slightly different. Not sure if you will actually notice or not. Drive a GT and then your cobra in a parking lot and see if you can tell a difference in turning.

333arod333

SVT Disciple
Established Member
It will still work. Just the turning gear ratio is slightly different. Not sure if you will actually notice or not. Drive a GT and then your cobra in a parking lot and see if you can tell a difference in turning.

I read on that link that the cobra 22-2000 one is more heavy duty? Is that true?

A1 Cardone doesn't even have a damn 22-233 on their site. They only have a 22-238. What is this one I ordered from autozone then?

http://www.autozone.com/suspension-and-steering/rack-pinion/duralast-rack-pinion/196204_0_0/

EDIT: Was on the phone with Autozone and apparently it is mislabeled and the rack they are sending me is the 22-238. According to the article, that rack has a slightly smaller torsion bar. The A1 Cardone site labels the 22-238 as working for the DOHC 4.6 with production code SPR-ZK OR a SOHC 4.6. While the 22-2000 is for DOHC 4.6 with production code SPR-ZM. Autozone assured me that the 22-238 will work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread