Injected Engineering Builds a 'High-Voltage' Whippled F-150

Injected Engineering Builds a 'High-Voltage' Whippled F-150

Cumens_010.jpg

It has been the better part of 15 years since Ford last gave us an SVT Lightning, and that Gen 2 design is poised to turn twenty years old later this year. Not wanting to build on a platform that is nearly old enough to buy a beer; Injected Engineering customer Stan Cumens decided to start with something a bit newer. In this case, a 2017 Ford F-150 5.0 4X4 was selected as the base for a thoroughly modern Hi-Po Street Truck build.

Cumens_003.jpg

I would drive the wheels off this thing.
Injected Engineering's Josh Zeman explained that choosing a Regular Cab truck definitely makes sense from a performance perspective, but the real secret was going with 4x4 model. In order to plant all the power Injected was planning to push through the Coyote V8 was a high priority. That task was made much easier, and more brutal, by distributing it to all four tires. Definitely not standard Lightning fare, but super effective.

Cumens_005.jpg

The Injected crew nailed the stance.

Speaking of power, the heart of the build is a 2.9L Whipple Twin-Screw Supercharger. That blower is supported by MMR Billet Oil Pump Gears and Crank Sprocket to ensure engine longevity. On the exhaust side of the equation, Stainless Works Longtube Headers and custom bedside exit pipes were installed. That all adds up to and F-150 making 650RWHP and 571RWTQ on MS109 fuel. However, Injected has plans to make even more power with an upgraded fuel system and E85. All of that power was sent through an Injected Built 6R80 transmission.

Cumens_008.jpg

The 2.9L Whipple is def the star under the hood, but if you look closely you'll also notice the battery was relocated.

It wouldn't be an SVT Lightning homage without suspension modifications, and Injected Engineering had Cumen covered there too. Crown Suspension was tapped for a 3/5 drop, and custom Avant Garde AGL23 Wheels powdercoated Satin Bronze wrapped in Toyo Proxes ST3 Tires made sure the stance was right. I have to say that the setup looks like it strikes an impressive balance between street fighter and still being usable as a truck, just as its SVT inspiration was designed.

Cumens_006.jpg

IMO, it would have been tough to find a better looking wheel/tire/brake combination for this truck that what you see here.

Finally, few styling upgrades were thrown into the mix. First up were projector beam headlights and tinted taillights. A Low-Pro Tonneau Cover was added to give a more sleek look, a theme that is contributed to by the tinted windows. Lastly; custom emblems, both front and rear, were installed. They are a very subtle nod to the Avant Garde AGL23 Wheels, as they sport the same satin bronze finish.

Cumens_002.jpg

The custom badges and taillight tint are subtle mods that that really tie the look of this build together.

All this adds up to a fun build influenced by one of Ford's modern classics. It combines the exhilaration from the Lightning's blown V8 with all the technology and creature comforts we've come to expect from new vehicles. I'm sure wherever Cumen may be, that he is thoroughly enjoying his new ride. I know I would be. Now, a few more pics:

Cumens_001.jpg
Cumens_004.jpg
Cumens_007.jpg
Cumens_009.jpg

-SID297

...and the secret has been unleashed.

@Zemedici

I have never cared for Ford trucks, but I fell in love with this one when I saw it.
9b611434262e840ebb901fc5ee5c3504.jpg
1fd1843f27a4cefc21441befaa7486c1.jpg

20180524_133908.jpeg
20180524_133903.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks very close to mine. I was debating on going with the 3/5 drop but was afraid it would rub. I have the same 305/40/22 toyos and it seems everything is fine with this truck. Made my mind.

Looks very close to mine. I was debating on going with the 3/5 drop but was afraid it would rub. I have the same 305/40/22 toyos and it seems everything is fine with this truck. Made my mind.

You do have a sick truck. Needs a power adder though

So, so nice!! Such a gorgeous looking truck.
See Ford, why couldn't you have a nice interior in a truck like that!?!? I would have bought one and done the Whipple and other little tidbits as well. Too bad. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread