Info on 2000 Cobra R #081 race car or #300

MIKED17

Established Member
Hi does anyone have any info on my 2000 Cobra R #081. according to the SCCA log book it was used in a few races and I believe it was run under the Swanson Ford name along with its sister car #300 in the T1 class. I would like to know a little more history on it (who built them)
2000 cobra r side view.jpg
as well as possibly find who owns #300 as these are the exact same cars with exact same roll cages etc...

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
I have no info on it, but I love it! I put the race bullet decals on mine and still plan to do the lower decals from the prototype, like you have. Fantastic looking car!

TFStang

Established Member
I believe Swanson Ford ordered both cars and used them for PR purposes as well as some racing events. Are you considering purchasing the #81 car?

MIKED17

Established Member
The #81 car is already mine and I have owned it for about 5 years now. I'm the 3rd owner I believe. I bought the car with the intention to race it but when i got it decided it was to nice to take the chance of crashing it. Just interested to find out some more history on it

MIKED17

Established Member
They closed up shop about 8 years ago I heard they were one of Fords casualties from the dealer downsizing. Too bad as I am in Pleasanton Ca and they were only about 45 minutes from my house in Los Gatos

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If you're really serious, I'm sure you could track down the old ownership/management and find out some answers. I'd start with the other dealerships in town, surely someone could point you in the right direction.

1993R

Established Member
I would check with the SCCA.
The Region it ran in should provide you with some info.
Registrar and Scrutineer place to start.
It had to be teched and T1 is a National Class.
Who ever teched it may know who built the car etc.
Does it have any tech decals on the Cage? What about enteries in the log book.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Hi does anyone have any info on my 2000 Cobra R #081. according to the SCCA log book it was used in a few races and I believe it was run under the Swanson Ford name along with its sister car #300 in the T1 class. I would like to know a little more history on it (who built them)

First, I'd say a SCCA log book with the SCCA rollbar sticker makes the car worth 30%+ more sight unseen.

If you have time sheets from the old days with the logbook and a SCCA rollar sticker, it's a very rare car.

And then more pictures of it racing in a SCCA events makes it much more valuable.

MIKED17

Established Member
Sorry I haven't checked in here for a couple weeks. Yes I do have the SCCA logbook as well as the roll bar sticker but unfortunately no pics of it racing. I will check with SCCA and see if they have any info. thanks for the replies

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Man I haven't seen the #11 car is years. When I was 13yrs old I rode in that car around Sears Point. Paul Swanson was big into Historic Nascars and such. My dad raced in the Historic series with his NASCAR so he and Paul were really close. That was a blast and got me hooked into road racing. I was really sad to see Swanson Ford go under.. He had a bad ass 95R too..

MIKED17

Established Member
After looking in my SCCA log book mine was the #27 car raced under the Selco Heating and Air and driven by someone named Garland last name begins with an S but that's all I can make out. I believe the #11 car ended up winning the T1 championship in 2001. One of the pictures I have shows my car #27 in front of the Swanson Ford trailer. Do you know if Paul Swanson is still around?

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
After looking in my SCCA log book mine was the #27 car raced under the Senco Heating and Air and driven by someone named Garland last name begins with an S but that's all I can make out. I believe the #11 car ended up winning the T1 championship in 2001. One of the pictures I have shows my car #27 in front of the Swanson Ford trailer. Do you know if Paul Swanson is still around?
That's Garland Self. My dad raced with him in the Historic's as well. Real POS. I believe that Paul is still around in Los Gatos Area. I haven't seen that trailer or anything from them since they closed shop though.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Why was Garland so bad?
Pompous asshole with a lot of money. Knew he had a lot of money and treated anyone without a lot of money like a lower class citizen.. I worked for a pit crew in the Historic nascar series from 15-17yrs old. 95% of them are like that. Paul Swanson was NOT. He and his son were really really nice family guys. I have stories from here to the moon on the Garland guy, and quite a few others..

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Pompous asshole with a lot of money. Knew he had a lot of money and treated anyone without a lot of money like a lower class citizen.. I worked for a pit crew in the Historic nascar series from 15-17yrs old. 95% of them are like that. Paul Swanson was NOT. He and his son were really really nice family guys. I have stories from here to the moon on the Garland guy, and quite a few others..

Id love to hear some of those stories! Maybe another thread though, I don't want to derail this one.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Id love to hear some of those stories! Maybe another thread though, I don't want to derail this one.
Not on a public forum lol. You'd have to PM me or something, and I'd need a lot of time to write..

One good story that comes to mind.. G.S was racing his NASCAR at Laguna Seca. Came around turn 11 super hot. Hit the apex and rumble strip hard, got one side of the car airborne while both wheels were in the air nails the gas, (no no with a Detroit locker) Snaps the axles, gernades the rear end over revv'd the car (nuked the engine and trans) spun out and hit the wall.. Literally destroyed every mechanical component you can on a NASCAR and then did damage to body ahaha. I was like whelp.. That was stupid.. I learned a lot of how not to drive from those asshats lol.

Users who are viewing this thread