Info for aftermarket hood cost for prep and installation

Cain96

Established Member
I wanted to ask the crowd here there experiences in what they've seen for prep time and costs... fitting, and costs of painting and blending for aftermarket hoods.

Not including the cost of the hood... I was quoted almost 2k for the body work... fitment, paint labor, and paint supplies. I will admit that the paint is a tri coat paint, so I know that tends to be more expensive.

That seems outrageous of a price. The body labor and paint labor equalled 19.2 hours on this quote between the 2. I have went to 2 other places to try and get an estimate, but they refuse to give a quote because they don't feel comfortable giving an estimate for the prep work because the hoods are mass produced.

Is this price quote in the ballpark for a "normal" cost for this? It just seemed a bit excessive, but wanted to here other's opinions on the matter.

Evojayfi21

Established Member
Cost me $700 just to prep and paint the hood on my old Evo 8. If they would've blended the fenders then probably another $600+

kdaly

Established Member
My tiger racing hood cost me 1400 w/ discount to get painted, prepped, and blended into the fenders.

Evojayfi21

Established Member
That hood is 1000-1600 without a discount so earthier he got a great deal or its paint only.

Greydevil

Established Member
Tri-coat paint is always more expensive... im guessing your the ruby red metallic..... if you want a quality job its going to cost around the quote you got for 2k. Any aftermarket fiberglass part always comes shitty and need TONS of prep work if you want it to look nice, usually a first prime, block sanding, then a second prime, plus the base coat, pearl coat and clear. Not an easy job. RR matches pretty well but a blend on the fenders is recommended. Ive been working with our Ford Dealership in California for 15 years.

Cain96

Established Member
Tri-coat paint is always more expensive... im guessing your the ruby red metallic..... if you want a quality job its going to cost around the quote you got for 2k. Any aftermarket fiberglass part always comes shitty and need TONS of prep work if you want it to look nice, usually a first prime, block sanding, then a second prime, plus the base coat, pearl coat and clear. Not an easy job. RR matches pretty well but a blend on the fenders is recommended. Ive been working with our Ford Dealership in California for 15 years.

No, it's actually the red candy metallic from 2013. I believe Ford went to the ruby red in 2014 and beyond. The local body shops I've talked to local have said the same thing, because these aftermarket places are just pumping them out, they require a lot of prep work, and they pretty much all recommended a fender side panel blend. Thanks for confirming the info I received, much appreciated.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Definitely some significant labor to do it right. This from when I had my trufiber A61 hood installed. It was in the 2g range.

BRIAN%20002%20Small%202_zpsi6dv44hd.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread