Inexpensive Double DIN Stereos

Jefe

Established Member
Looking for an inexpensive double DIN sized stereo to put in my Classic Bronco and these 3 have pretty good reviews. Anyone have experience with these? Mainly want a clean minimal button screen for a clean look but will be used for bluetooth, auxiliary, AMFM, and possibly Android Auto/GPS. Any reason to avoid Soundstream, Planet Audio, Boss, Jensen, etc?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N0YTO87
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XCL9HGT
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FHJ4GFI

Going for this look:

5tr7ecvcl8a3z8h6g.jpg

7id26p0647wl1wo6g.jpg

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Get any of the 3 links you posted. I personally am a big fan of kenwood.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
The sony one that came out late last year is what I have in my truck. its about 400 but honestly is an amazing system for the money.

VENOM1

6.0MAN
Established Member
When I bought my first diesel truck in 2006 my buddy who worked at a Car Audio shop in Michigan sold me a Jensen Double Din Headunit that I ended up selling into several other vehicles and absolutely loved the ease of use and features/benefits for the cost.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
I recently bought a Pioneer Avic Nex unit off of EBay on the cheap. Remanufactured unit right from Pioneer. Thing works great amd has too many features to list.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
u want 4 volt preouts if u can find one cheap enough. makes for a much cleaner sound.

Jefe

Established Member
u want 4 volt preouts if u can find one cheap enough. makes for a much cleaner sound.
Im only going to be running two 6.5" speakers but I will probably run those off an amp. The speakers will be behind the front seats nounted in the rear quarter panels which won't be sealed. Component or Coaxial?

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Im telln ya order a set of Hertz Mille 6.5 in coaxials (MPX 165.3 Pro) they are they will blow u away! and their cheap I've seen em as low as $240 but usually around $260.

With a decent amp u will be say "Holy shit". gotta trus me on that. they will fill ur whole truck up.

listen to this video. of course its utube so u don't get the full effect but these are thru the factory stereo system with no amp. but listen to the highs their incredibly clear they are with a factory system with no amp.

Im only going to be running two 6.5" speakers but I will probably run those off an amp. The speakers will be behind the front seats nounted in the rear quarter panels which won't be sealed. Component or Coaxial?

Last edited:

RES0574

Established Member
Is this your first Bronco? Just curious for the following reason. I have two, a 71 and a 77. One is a soft top, and one is open with just a roll cage. I did the fiberglass inserts in the doors so they are always open. I have always had issues with corrosion, then failure on my head units. I went through two on each of the Broncos. I finally just used marine units from Alpine. Just something to consider if you plan on spending a significant amount on the audio.

Jefe

Established Member
I wound up picking up the Kenwood DDX793, only $290 shipped thru NewEgg: http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/excelon/ddx793/

image_product03_big.jpg

Im telln ya order a set of Hertz Mille 6.5 in coaxials (MPX 165.3 Pro) they are they will blow u away! and their cheap I've seen em as low as $240 but usually around $260.
With a decent amp u will be say "Holy shit". gotta trus me on that. they will fill ur whole truck up.
I thought coaxials need to be in a somewhat sealed enclosure to sound good? Those are $223 on Amazon right now. Hows the bass? I need to see how much room I have behind my panels but these are seriously only 2.5" tall?

I have no hard top so there is going to be a lot of wind noise and old school 302 V8 to drown out haha

Im also looking at these Infinity Kappas: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009GHQX5O
Is this your first Bronco? Just curious for the following reason. I have two, a 71 and a 77. One is a soft top, and one is open with just a roll cage. I did the fiberglass inserts in the doors so they are always open. I have always had issues with corrosion, then failure on my head units. I went through two on each of the Broncos. I finally just used marine units from Alpine. Just something to consider if you plan on spending a significant amount on the audio.
Yes first Bronco, bought it in 2011. We drove it and worked on it a bunch for the first 2 years and then we just let it sit and rise in value. Got the bug again 6 months ago and we are a couple weeks away from paint. I have the fenders, grill, tailgate, windshield and cage at the sandblaster right now.

Ya I looked at the marine grade stuff and just don't see the need. The Bronco is garaged and im in AZ so its warm most of the year
I looked at that one but wanted to avoid physical buttons making the screen smaller

Last edited:

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
I'm looking at replacing the radio in the Suburban and have decided to include single DIN faceplates that have a retracting screen.

There just aren't that many options for Double DIN.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
I wound up picking up the Kenwood DDX793, only $290 shipped thru NewEgg:

I thought coaxials need to be in a somewhat sealed enclosure to sound good? Those are $223 on Amazon right now. Hows the bass? I need to see how much room I have behind my panels but these are seriously only 2.5" tall?

I have no hard top so there is going to be a lot of wind noise and old school 302 V8 to drown out haha

Im also looking at these Infinity Kappas: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009GHQX5O

Yes first Bronco, bought it in 2011. We drove it and worked on it a bunch for the first 2 years and then we just let it sit and rise in value. Got the bug again 6 months ago and we are a couple weeks away from paint. I have the fenders, grill, tailgate, windshield and cage at the sandblaster right now.

Ya I looked at the marine grade stuff and just don't see the need. The Bronco is garaged and im in AZ so its warm most of the year

I looked at that one but wanted to avoid physical buttons making the screen smaller

Good point! I do have that unit in a plow truck and have spent several hours waiting on weather sitting in the truck. After the first couple minutes of the movie, I get pulled in and haven't ever really noticed the screen size. Also something I really enjoy is the rear camera functionality, it can be turned on full time, just in reverse or off. It really is a great feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jefe

Established Member
I think Im going to add a backup camera haha. I can also add a front camera. High tech in an old school Bronco!

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
The Hertz will have more bass and clarity and sound better then any Coaxial u can buy period nothing else even comes close!

and no they don't need to be in a concealed enclosure. yea their not tall at all a lot of Motorcycle guys use em as well and u would shit if u heard how good they sound on a MC from even like 50 feet away. go on utube and see for urself their a plenty of HD's there with these exact speakers.

I have a very basic setup in my car it really is and when ppl hear my system their speechless! and all I got for speakers are front and rear Hertz coaxials. u mite wanna opt for the Milli MPX 690.3 Pro if u can't fit em but their really not necessary.

shit if their $223 now thats a no brainer. telln ya u gotta trust me here u will be amazed at how well they sound with even a small amp.

been an audiophile my whole life and I have no problem wasting money on shit I need or don't need lol but these simply sound best. top down won't mean shit with these which is why the MC guys love em. their just isn't a better sounding Coaxial.

its not often a speaker goes on back order for over 4 months. it means ppl in the stereo world who know good speakers buy them. so freakn smooth and realistic sounding.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread