Indoor Flooring recommendations

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
Looking at laying down some new flooring in my house and with so many choices out there, I'm lost on brand and type. So I figure I'd turn to SVTP for input.

House currently has 90s linoleum and a bit of laminate. I've laid down laminate in a previous house with great success but I did not like how cold it was in the winters and also the fear of getting water damage.

From my research, it looks like Vinyl plank flooring is the way to go these days if your not putting real hardwood. Anyone have any suggestions?

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I've installed several vinyl plank floors(floating floor).
Home Depot makes a lifeproof brand that is real nice. Already has the padding installed, is easy to work with, and has lots of great design options.
Lowes makes one too, but IMO the quality isn't the same.

08mojo

Established Member
Agreed with vinyl plank. Also, take a look at engineered hardwoods. Both are floating and easy to install. We went with Aquaguard engineered wood from Floor and Decor. Some of it is in a bathroom next to a shower. 2 years in and it looks just as good as the day it was installed.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I did the 3 piece Life Proof Vinyl from Home Desperate. Looks awesome, nicer to walk on than wood and wasn't to bad to install.

I've installed several vinyl plank floors(floating floor).
Home Depot makes a lifeproof brand that is real nice. Already has the padding installed, is easy to work with, and has lots of great design options.
Lowes makes one too, but IMO the quality isn't the same.
lol

NoSlowGT

Make me a sandwhich bitch
Established Member
Premium Member
Same, did the vinyl plank with the pad already on it. I didn't install myself, Home Depot did, but I'm very happy with the results. Looks great, doesn't scratch (at least from the dog running back and forth over it while playing catch).

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Had an addition built onto our house a few years ago, redid the entire first floor with the floating vinyl flooring so that everything would match.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
B937A297-FC32-4130-8049-A4425F52F2C2.jpeg
B937A297-FC32-4130-8049-A4425F52F2C2.jpeg
CA463178-0AA0-49AC-A372-E9AED06B3105.jpeg

9571107F-51FE-4CBC-ADDC-009CD5AA943F.jpeg

6AEBEBB6-BE81-4C71-AF42-3B6E1A9F6A74.jpeg

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Lo

Looks like you're doing it right too. Start at one side of the room, with 1', 2', 3' and then a full 4' piece. Then end result looks so much nicer.
(First row start with a 1' piece, next row start with a 2' piece etc)
I did completely random so it looks more real. So many miters in my house made me think way to hard. A table and 12” miter saw are your friends. lol

nxhappy

Established Member
I'm going with tile. It is cooler in the summer. And also it increases home value. Second choice with be some strong vinyl planks. Look at Home Deep Slut or Lumber Liquidators

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks guys. Any brands to stay away from?

Majority is made in China, with a few made in the EU(Brussels) from what I could find.

There were a few brands I stopped from pulling the trigger on over the lack of specs or certifications they didn't show. Or couldn't find anything on the parent company.

The big box stores have really cracked down on making sure the floors are phthalates free and are low voc. Especially after Lumber Liquidators got reamed on the laminate floors in 2015.

Durability wise, I went with a 20mil floor cause I have kids and a dog. 6 millimeter thickness too with a 1.5mil pad

Whats your budget per sf? The one I got was 3.39 and has beveled edges to simulate real wood look. Shit can get into the 5's easily.

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
Majority is made in China, with a few made in the EU(Brussels) from what I could find.

There were a few brands I stopped from pulling the trigger on over the lack of specs or certifications they didn't show. Or couldn't find anything on the parent company.

The big box stores have really cracked down on making sure the floors are phthalates free and are low voc. Especially after Lumber Liquidators got reamed on the laminate floors in 2015.

Durability wise, I went with a 20mil floor cause I have kids and a dog. 6 millimeter thickness too with a 1.5mil pad

Whats your budget per sf? The one I got was 3.39 and has beveled edges to simulate real wood look. Shit can get into the 5's easily.

$3 to $4 sqft is what I'm thinking.

Users who are viewing this thread