In need of civil war sword restoration!

Socom688

Cobra > All other cars..
Established Member
Hey SVTP, I need some help. I have a sword from the civil war that I need restored. It is a M1850 W. Clauberg foot officer's sword for the Union Army, and it belonged to my great great great grandfather. The metal and metal work is in good condition, but the leather of the scabbard and the handle are shot.. I live in Jacksonville, but frequent Orlando a lot, so a sword restorer in either areas would be great. Any help or advice is appreciated.

Here are some pics:
Picture002.jpg

Picture001.jpg

Sonic_GT

Established Member
I would talk with an expert before getting anything like that restored. Things like that are usually more valuable in their original state. But then again it depends on what you wanna do with it. I'd personally leave it as is. Cool piece of history there. :beer:

dooberGN

Established Member
Like the others have said, if it is real do not restore it. Don't ruin that original patina it has.

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
leave it as is, it will be worth more.

And for all you idiots bashing Pawn Stars, I agree the guys on there are dicks, but it makes perfect sense. If an item is worth $1000, they will buy it for $500, restore it for $250, and make $250 on it. Its called business. If they bought it from the customer for what it is worth, how the hell are they gonna make any money?

Sorry to hijack...just annoyed.

Seraphus

I R ANDROID LEG!
Established Member
leave it as is, it will be worth more.

And for all you idiots bashing Pawn Stars, I agree the guys on there are dicks, but it makes perfect sense. If an item is worth $1000, they will buy it for $500, restore it for $250, and make $250 on it. Its called business. If they bought it from the customer for what it is worth, how the hell are they gonna make any money?

Sorry to hijack...just annoyed.

this.

langod

Cobra: The Anti-hybrid
Established Member
Hey SVTP, I need some help. I have a sword from the civil war that I need restored. It is a M1850 W. Clauberg foot officer's sword for the Union Army, and it belonged to my great great great grandfather. The metal and metal work is in good condition, but the leather of the scabbard and the handle are shot.. I live in Jacksonville, but frequent Orlando a lot, so a sword restorer in either areas would be great. Any help or advice is appreciated.

Awesome piece of family history!
My family also has a Civil war sword that belonged to a great++ Uncle who served as a Captain in the Union Cavalry. It is in slightly better condition than yours, but not too much. We had several "experts" look at it over the years and all have said not to restore it, polish it or sharpen it. Dust it and wipe it down once it a while. That's all. Find a nice place to display it in your home.

Last edited:

Steve@BAS

Established Member
Pawn stars is 100% staged. I've tried calling ricks restoration, and the clark county museam, and the store only has shit in it and Chum Lee shirts.

There are episodes where items change (one receintly was about the flax bow, when the guy pawned it beads were blue, when he came back to pick up was red) /etc

Socom688

Cobra > All other cars..
Established Member
Thanks for the input guys. I know I am fortunate to have a sweet piece of history.

I know that if I was to leave it in its current state, it would be worth more, but my dad was an officer and his sword is in a display case. I know he doesn't care about it losing value, it would mean a lot to him if it could be restored to a near brand new state so it can be in a case similar to his.

And pawn star seems staged to me :shrug: lol

Users who are viewing this thread