In-line fuel filter

Adower

Established Member
My 98 cobra has been acting like it has no power when trying to accelerate. I bought the car 6-7 years ago and the prior owner put a triple pump fuel system in. I am thinking it could possibly be the fuel filter. However, I am not sure what Inline filter is being used as there are no identifiers on it. I see on some of them you just buy the filter element and reuse the housing. Any idea on how I should proceed if I cannot tell the brand of filter being used?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
In a return style with the filter canister yes, you replace the element. If nothing else, pull the filter, see if you can get an ID off it, close the housing and order a new one.

That’s a little on the old side but I kinda doubt it’s the issue

Does it just feel slow or is it actually bogging or missing or something?

Adower

Established Member
In a return style with the filter canister yes, you replace the element. If nothing else, pull the filter, see if you can get an ID off it, close the housing and order a new one.

That’s a little on the old side but I kinda doubt it’s the issue

Does it just feel slow or is it actually bogging or missing or something?
Definitely bogging and moving sluggishly. Has a tough time idling when you give it gas as well. I did let the gas sit like 8 months in the car without touching it but it was at less than a 1/4 tank. Went and filled up with fresh gas and this started.

I’ll remove the canister and see if I can get something. If not I guess a whole new inline filter.

I was going to check the fuel filter and then look at plugs next.

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Post a pic of the assembly and someone might know.

If it’s like mine one end un-threads. Using an anodized AN wrench I took the fuel fitting off that end then hold one of the assembly with a wrench and remove the “cap” with another.

For future reference if you know it’s gonna sit fill the tank up

Adower

Established Member
Post a pic of the assembly and someone might know.

If it’s like mine one end un-threads. Using an anodized AN wrench I took the fuel fitting off that end then hold one of the assembly with a wrench and remove the “cap” with another.

For future reference if you know it’s gonna sit fill the tank up
I’ll throw a picture up tomorrow morning.

Adower

Established Member
IMG_9782.JPG

Pic attached.

I_like_turtlez

Established Member
Definitely bogging and moving sluggishly. Has a tough time idling when you give it gas as well. I did let the gas sit like 8 months in the car without touching it but it was at less than a 1/4 tank. Went and filled up with fresh gas and this started.

I’ll remove the canister and see if I can get something. If not I guess a whole new inline filter.

I was going to check the fuel filter and then look at plugs next.
Sorry to necro-bump but for future reference, gas is generally good for about 60 days without an additive; 8 month old gas is the cause of the OP

Should've siphoned out that old stale gas before putting some fresh in, it could even cause detonation in the cylinders

Users who are viewing this thread