In-ground pool construction

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
It will be tapped into our existing in-ground 500 gallon propane tank. I don't expect we will heat it often, as it will probably use a lot of propane. Just for special occasions.

The pool heater & installation part of this was $3300.
Interesting...we have a gas heater for ours and it cost $3K to replace it when it went kaput.

I assume that since you said you are not going to use the heater often that you don't have plans for a jacuzzi? Best part about our pool is winter nights when it is like 50 degrees and we fire up the jacuzzi. Fun stuff!

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
FWIW... pipe a second main drain with separate piping (super easy at construction) and T it into a small header out of the ground by the filter. It sounds like you're there for the long haul, in case one of the main drains cracks you'll have a backup to revert to and continue to have good pool circulation. Had an IG pool for some time (20x40x9) and that main drain always caused me concern if something happened to it. Seeing as you're in TX and water circulates all the time, maybe the backup is cheap insurance? Also we used Bromine... expensive but much nicer than chlorine... it does breakdown quicker than chlorine in sun though...

We also have a second main drain. We have a floor system with pop ups (not sure of the correct term) that pushes debris to the main drain in the center of the pool. This replaces the need for a robot vacuum. I've seen some pools with a floor system that only have one main drain and the set up isn't nearly as effective as having two main drains with separate piping.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
Interesting...we have a gas heater for ours and it cost $3K to replace it when it went kaput.

I assume that since you said you are not going to use the heater often that you don't have plans for a jacuzzi? Best part about our pool is winter nights when it is like 50 degrees and we fire up the jacuzzi. Fun stuff!

Correct. Neither my wife nor I want a hot tub.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
@STAMPEDE3 . No water yet, Pebble Sheen interior.
Big Beam.jpg

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Awesome! My wife has been asking about a pool too. Might start digging next year. My neighbor just put in a pool last summer. Awesome pool with water features, sun shelf with bubblers, 2 outdoor kitchen areas and a bar, the whole thing decked in travertine including a walkway to the side of the house. A little over $100K setup. It's badass. I won't spend that much lol.

DrZed

Established Member
We also have a second main drain. We have a floor system with pop ups (not sure of the correct term) that pushes debris to the main drain in the center of the pool. This replaces the need for a robot vacuum. I've seen some pools with a floor system that only have one main drain and the set up isn't nearly as effective as having two main drains with separate piping.

WHAT? That sounds very cool!

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
WHAT? That sounds very cool!

Yeah, I like this system better than the robot. However, you have to master the art of setting your valves so that the pool return is balanced between the jacuzzi (if you have one like we do) and the pop ups. It took me a while to figure it out. Here is a pic of the main steps into our pool with the white pop ups.
IMG_6702.JPG

I saw one for the first time a few months ago, pretty cool...just watch where you're sitting on the shelf

No kidding. I step on them from time to time but they pop right back up the next time. They are pretty durable. I have had to replace a couple but they are cheap at the pool store.

Users who are viewing this thread