In-ground pool construction

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
We completed our custom home build in 2016, but at the time didn't opt to do a pool. This year we decided was the time to do it. We contacted 3 different pool builders in our area, and decided to use the local, small company as the owner was very nice and upfront, and spent way more time with us than the bigger companies did.

The pool itself will be gunite. The size is 14 x 30. We opted for a 4 ft sheer, LED lighting and a propane heater for the water. Depth of the pool will range from 3 feet to 6 feet deep.

Last year around this time we redid our front entry gate / stone wall: https://svtperformance.com/threads/stone-entry-with-a-gate.1186904/

In the 2nd photo, you can see just how much rock we have.

Construction just started last week. I'll update as we go along.

Day 1
Pool day 1.jpg

Day 2
Pool day 2.jpg

Day 3
Pool day 3_01.jpg

Pool day 3_02.jpg

Last edited:

DriftwoodSVT

Established Member
Wife wants a pool. I told her to figure out how to fund it on Trophy Wife pay.....

We have a lot of equity in our home, so we did a cash our refinance to fund it. Currently, the build price is $67k. But we are already talking about adding a stone cabana (metal roof), fireplace, and electrical.

Cobra-O

Established Member
Is that all your yard in the back? Why so close to the house?

We put one in about 6-7 years ago. Best thing we ever did for the house. And anyone that tells you it doesn't add value is wrong. You can't find a house around here with a pool, they sell before they are listed. Good Job!

DriftwoodSVT

Established Member
Is that all your yard in the back? Why so close to the house?

We put one in about 6-7 years ago. Best thing we ever did for the house. And anyone that tells you it doesn't add value is wrong. You can't find a house around here with a pool, they sell before they are listed. Good Job!

You can see our fence line in the back, if you look closely. We are on 5.5 acres.

The main reason for having it close is so that it's tucked in by our bedroom. We wanted as much of the pool hidden from the road as possible, so people driving by can't see. We have 5 feet from the patio to the pool.

We did an appraisal during refinance, and almost all the comps had pools. The appraised value of the pools were 50k.

DriftwoodSVT

Established Member
How big of a propane tank for the heater?
Rough cost of the propane system?

It will be tapped into our existing in-ground 500 gallon propane tank. I don't expect we will heat it often, as it will probably use a lot of propane. Just for special occasions.

The pool heater & installation part of this was $3300.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
My wife wants us to buy her parents house in a few years.

They have a nice in-ground pool, and it’d be nice to have, but screw the maintenance and costs.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Ours was finished late 2019. I’ve got about $50k in it between the pool, hot tub, and pavilion. I had to bring in a shit ton of dirt in addition to what I generated from our property. 16x24x42’ vinyl. I would definitely say that Saltwater is the way to go, I have crystal clear water year round and don’t do much to it.
IMG_0975.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
It will be tapped into our existing in-ground 500 gallon propane tank. I don't expect we will heat it often, as it will probably use a lot of propane. Just for special occasions.

The pool heater & installation part of this was $3300.

Yes, I wouldn’t plan on using it often. Max fill on your propane tank is 80% generally, though I have seen 85% for shaded/buried tanks. That said, you’re looking at roughly 4.5 gallons per hour being used with a 400k btu pool heater (90k btu/gallon) so it will depend on heater efficiency and size.

I piped in a monster house with a 50k gallon pool. They wanted to heat nearly year round and we ended up installing twin underground 10k gallon tanks. It is expensive to play.

DriftwoodSVT

Established Member
Yes, I wouldn’t plan on using it often. Max fill on your propane tank is 80% generally, though I have seen 85% for shaded/buried tanks. That said, you’re looking at roughly 4.5 gallons per hour being used with a 400k btu pool heater (90k btu/gallon) so it will depend on heater efficiency and size.

I piped in a monster house with a 50k gallon pool. They wanted to heat nearly year round and we ended up installing twin underground 10k gallon tanks. It is expensive to play.

That's a lot of propane!

delvin.a

Established Member
Ours was finished late 2019. I’ve got about $50k in it between the pool, hot tub, and pavilion. I had to bring in a shit ton of dirt in addition to what I generated from our property. 16x24x42’ vinyl. I would definitely say that Saltwater is the way to go, I have crystal clear water year round and don’t do much to it.View attachment 1684157

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

I’ve heard folks have corrosion issues with any metal close by the pool. Have you noticed any so far?

That is a killer piece of property by the way, the garage looks extra big.

02_Lightning

Established Member
We did a cash out / refinance for our pool too. Northeast Ohio, and pool is on an extreme slope. We opted for ICF pool construction, and used radiant floor heating to keep it warm year-round. Very long pool season/usage, and extremely energy efficient

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I’ve heard folks have corrosion issues with any metal close by the pool. Have you noticed any so far?

That is a killer piece of property by the way, the garage looks extra big.
Salt doesn't hurt anything. The EQ is made for it, and they usually run 2800-3400 PPM.

DrZed

Established Member
FWIW... pipe a second main drain with separate piping (super easy at construction) and T it into a small header out of the ground by the filter. It sounds like you're there for the long haul, in case one of the main drains cracks you'll have a backup to revert to and continue to have good pool circulation. Had an IG pool for some time (20x40x9) and that main drain always caused me concern if something happened to it. Seeing as you're in TX and water circulates all the time, maybe the backup is cheap insurance? Also we used Bromine... expensive but much nicer than chlorine... it does breakdown quicker than chlorine in sun though...

Users who are viewing this thread