In Car Action - MGW Mustang MT-82 Race-Spec (Trans Mount) Shifter

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I thought you guys might like this quick video of MGW's new fully transmission mounted MT-82 Race Spec shifter in action. Notice how the shifter moves with the transmission when the car is started or revs. The shifter behaves just like a top-loader now. It's awesome:

[video=youtube;F6PZ-LOBYJE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6PZ-LOBYJE[/video]​

Speed Junky

Established Member
OOOOO man! Can't wait to get mine installed. Says shipping info has been received. Too bad I won't be back in the states for another 25 days...

Speedwagon

Established Member
I thought you guys might like this quick video of MGW's new fully transmission mounted MT-82 Race Spec shifter in action. Notice how the shifter moves with the transmission when the car is started or revs. The shifter behaves just like a top-loader now. It's awesome:

[video=youtube;F6PZ-LOBYJE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6PZ-LOBYJE[/video]​

Awesome!!

Anthony K

Established Member
George said something on the phone about adjusting the stops for 2nd n third gears. Ive done it on shifters before, but am failing to see where to do it on this one?

No manual in the box, I watched a install video before (can't find it now, naturally) and don't remember seeing the throws adjusted.

Sid297..... You installed it already..... Anything?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
George said something on the phone about adjusting the stops for 2nd n third gears. Ive done it on shifters before, but am failing to see where to do it on this one?

No manual in the box, I watched a install video before (can't find it now, naturally) and don't remember seeing the throws adjusted.

Sid297..... You installed it already..... Anything?

Look up their reverse lock-out adjustment video.

Anthony K

Established Member
HOW IN THE **** did you remove the chrome trim around the shifter without breaking it! Mines snapped off.

The side trim of the console top. Wtf?! That's stupid how tight those clips are. The only video I found is bullshit how easily they pop off.

The Barton video is SERIOUSLY EDITED.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
HOW IN THE **** did you remove the chrome trim around the shifter without breaking it! Mines snapped off.

The side trim of the console top. Wtf?! That's stupid how tight those clips are. The only video I found is bullshit how easily they pop off.

The Barton video is SERIOUSLY EDITED.

You have to use an interior panel removal pry tool for the console. The chrome bezel is very delicate. We broke one of the tabs of mine, but then found that if you push it out from underneath it comes out without breaking. We'll be filming it tomorrow.

REDS197

Established Member
Installed mine in a GT today. This thing is very nice. My car is apart waiting in VMP Gen II so I didn't get to drive it. It is a very nice piece especially with the 1-2 guide and the 3rd gear spring.

Straight forward install but the shifter base groove is a pain in the ass.

RFM50

Established Member
Dang just saw this! This makes me want my 2012 back. I sold it because I got so tired of the mt82 lock out. Maybe some day soon.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Dang just saw this! This makes me want my 2012 back. I sold it because I got so tired of the mt82 lock out. Maybe some day soon.

This new design completely changes the transmission. Mine is still breaking in and it just keeps getting better.

What is a "top loader"?

In colloquial terms it is a reference to a direct transmission mounted shifter (like the Terminator T-56) instead of a remote mount.

hand-filer

Established Member
For me the first thing I noticed was how much better the 4-5 shift is now. That was always the hardest gear to grab at full tilt.

hand-filer

Established Member
2-3 is worth the entry fee for me.

Ditto on the 2-3 shift improvement. I should have qualified my comment by mentioning that the comparison was with my 1st generation MGW shifter which was somewhat hindered by the factory articulated shift linkage.
The race spec action feels similar to my bolt action Husqvarna 30-06.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread