IMRC "Delete" - EASY, Reliable, NO ZIP TIE OR CABLE TIE

Attaus

Established Member
Hey folks, so when I tore down my motor I was a little disappointed to find that someone who had $10k in receipts for engine work zip tied the IMRC's open - and only one was still there. I wanted a better way to hold them open without using ties or cables, and without having to remove the system and epoxy/weld the holes. Some have suggested removing the plates - which I tried initially however the rods are then free to move forward and aft, again not something I am comfortable with.

If you want to hold the IMRC's open, this is the best way I have found. Deleting them or going with delete plates is fine if you want to weld/epoxy or have $200+ to spend on shiny new blocks of aluminum for 2whp, but I didn't.

First step, remove the IMRC's. I know, but chances are they need a good cleaning anyway. Mine did at 20k miles.

photo_2.jpg

Next step is to grab this clip with a set of pliers and release it:

photo_4.jpg

Then remove this annoying one. If you're like me, and yours most likely doesn't work, just grab it with some pliers like the mofo posted above and rip em out. If you want to save it, they can be removed without damage but be warned they like to spin.

photo_5.jpg

Now, this system was designed to have a "stop" to prevent the plates from overspinning, if you will. What you are essentially doing is winding the system past the stop and placing it on the other side.

To do this, remove the two screws pictured here and move the plate out of the way. Yours will look different, I took the plates off for this picture but that is NOT necessary. I did it just fine with the other side, but didn't snap a pic.

photo_6.jpg

Once removed, wind the plates past this point, and screw them back in. When finished it will look like this:

photo_7.jpg

The IMRC's are now completely locked in. They will not move in any direction.

This may have been done, but after a quick search I didn't see anything. Anyway, hope you all find this useful. :beer:

EDIT: Holy big pics batman, will change when I get back.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread