IMRC delete and what else to do

rzimmerl

Established Member
Purchased my 98 cobra about 2 months ago and the previous owner cleaned the IMRC plates less then 1000 miles ago and I keep getting IMRC code for bank one. So after debate and purchasing a used control box I decided just to do the delete as looks to be a job I don't want to do over and over. I've got a buddy doing custom tune that will be followed with a full dyno tune so what else should I do while I've got it apart and custom tune being done? I've already sourced MMR IMRC delete plates, 170 tsat, and also doing EGR delete with JLT PCV sep. Has fresh set of TR55 plugs and wires already done.

Thanks

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
9k=(1).jpg

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
You don't have to remove the transmission to do the head-cooling-mod in the rear of the heads. You can access and install that with the lower-intake removed. Knocking out the freeze plug can be challenging like that but it's doable.

boost88

Established Member
I always thought the B heads weren't as much an issue. I'll have the intake off to clean imrc and secondary valves this winter. Might think of doing it I guess

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I always thought the B heads weren't as much an issue. I'll have the intake off to clean imrc and secondary valves this winter. Might think of doing it I guess

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My builder recommended and installed one on my build.

rzimmerl

Established Member
Tonight's job cleaning the nasty secondary intake valve... gonna try the berryman's B12 with brushes and shop vac method.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I just sprayed the shit out of it with Brake Cleaner, and worked it with a scuffy pad. My car had 130k on it before I ever cleaned out the intake.

brucesvt

Established Member
I feel like a total noob because I thought the cooling mod was only for the 03/04 guys. Well looks like I need to add one more part to the list to fully complete my cobra since I deleted the IMRCs.
OP welcome to the club

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

rzimmerl

Established Member
10 cans of not low VOC Berryman's B12, a round brush, and couple hours all 16 intake ports and valves are spiffy clean. Pretty sure my 2 gallon shop vac is now trash lol. Was pretty simple job, just used 90 degree pick to see which valves are closed and rotate motor as needed.

rzimmerl

Established Member
Car has 48k miles on it and was 100% original down to the date coded plug wires. Previous owner cleaned the IMRC plates last summer, I decided to delete so I don't have to do this again. So far new Motorcraft plug wires, NGK TR55 plugs, 170 Reische tstat, MMR IMRC delete plates, MMR HCM mod, complete coolant hose set from LMR, JLT PCV oil separator, and finally SCT X4 with Innovate wideband.

rzimmerl

Established Member
Completed project last weekend and enjoyed 70 mile cruise with my son to semi local shop fall car show last night. Hats off to my tuner as he got this pretty close as it does not have any lack of bottom end power and seems to picked up some. Will do a full dyno tune next spring. Attached some before and after pic of the same secondary intake valve before and after cleaning, and a little bracket I fabbed up to mount the JLT catch can instead of screwing it into the cowl. Will do full EGR removal when get longtubes, for now put a piece of sheet metal between the EGR valve and intake even though its been deleted in the tune.
VZFH5715.JPG
IMG_3027.JPG
IMG_3003.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread