Impressions on Borla Stinger mated with Bassani catted x-pipe

SolidSnake

Unleashing Hell
Established Member
Well guys I just installed the Bassani catted x-pipe to my already existing Borla Stinger from Amazon Racing. I have a few thoughts, #1. IT'S LOUD #2. it kind of got "blatty" sounding, don't know if I like it yet. #3. SOTP tells me, little, if anything gained.

I have to wait for the next dyno session in September to see if anything can be done with this to improve my numbers. I know it's freer flowing, don't know if that's a good or bad thing right now.

The fit and finish are superb, and the install was simple. The clamps are great, just like the Borla stuff, which I like. The system also came with extra pipes so I can eliminate the cats, they would just slip right off and the pipes sans cats would slip right in. I highly doubt I will ever do that, maybe at the track, but that's it.

Feel free to ask any questions or add comments.Thanks.

-Don

Orange Poison

Established Member
Solid,

If you had to give it a percentage increase in loudness with the X pipe. What would you estimate it at? 10%...20% louder?

SolidSnake

Unleashing Hell
Established Member
likely more than 20% man.....it got louder INSIDE the car. ummmm...it's kinda like the rumble you hear with just a cat-back, but now the rumble is coming from under your feet as well......

Friendchicken

I didn't think you'd get great gains over the stock H, but the sound would be more tuned and hollow(louder), I guess would describe it.

I did the bassani cat x pipe first and will get the stinger soon. The X-pipe gave a slight SOTP feel and reduced the weight over the stock H-pipe by 20 lbs.

Gotta be more careful when going over speed bumps now since the single catalytic is centered on the low point when going over speed bumps and the like.

I love the added sound and it was a good investment.

Try and get us a clip please so I know what I am missing out on. :)

SolidSnake

Unleashing Hell
Established Member
For right now, I like the "tighter" sound with the stock H-pipe.

I don't have a way to record a sound clip, but if anyone knows, let me know.

I may make a visit down to Atco this weekend, all depends on the weather.

nj7703

Established Member
Originally posted by SolidSnake
For right now, I like the "tighter" sound with the stock H-pipe.

I don't have a way to record a sound clip, but if anyone knows, let me know.

I may make a visit down to Atco this weekend, all depends on the weather.

Just when i thought i had my cat back all set, i read this. Too many options, yours "sounds" exactlly like what i want. Almost got the Magnaflows today, i may need to consider the Borla, and the Bassani catted x-pipe.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have the Magnaflow catted X-pipe with my Steeda catback and have grown to like the combo a lot. It is definitely louder than the stock H-pipe, but not so loud that it's obnoxious. One word of advise, though. If you're considering a set of Bassani mid-length headers in the future you'd be smart to go with the Bassani catted X-pipe because the install to the header collector can be easily done without cutting and welding. My Maggie X-pipe will have to be cut if I decide to install the mid-length headers.
:rollseyes

SolidSnake

Unleashing Hell
Established Member
Exactly the reason why I did the Bassani x-pipe, plus I heard it sounded "better" than the Magnaflow.

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
Subscribing...

I'll be interested in hearing this exhaust combo, as it's exactly what I thought I would do.

I heard several people up on the dyno this past weekend at FFW Bristol (tips were at ear level no less) and I thought the Bassani x and catback were pretty quiet. Not as quiet as stock, but not as loud as my 95 with a similar setup...

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by SolidSnake
.......plus I heard it sounded "better" than the Magnaflow.
Sound preferences are very personal. It really has nothing to do with a component "sounding better". Let 10 people listen to 5 different exhaust systems and you'll get 10 different opinions as to how they rank in sound.
:)

SolidSnake

Unleashing Hell
Established Member
Hey Bob, I totally agree with you man, I may not be a real fan of my exhaust sound now, but if other people listened to it, they would drool. Who know? All I know is that I was not a fan of my Magnaflow sound on my '01 GT with off roads and full-lengths....so this time around, I decided against Magnaflow stuff.

Orange Poison

Established Member
Solid,

Can you fairly say that the Stinger does not sound like the Magnaflow catback though?

Sorry to beat the sh$t out of a dead horse on this subject. I'm still trying to hook up with someone with a Stinger so I can hear it first hand.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Originally posted by Blue Poison
Solid,

Can you fairly say that the Stinger does not sound like the Magnaflow catback though?

Sorry to beat the sh$t out of a dead horse on this subject. I'm still trying to hook up with someone with a Stinger so I can hear it first hand.

Dang Tony. :nonono:

Obviously Donald has no sound bite so its really going to be a hard deal for you to get a good idea.

Tony check it out locally before i take a dive. Thought some one offered Robert but it was like 2 hours up north of us....sounds like a road trip to me for u guys.

SolidSnake

Unleashing Hell
Established Member
In my honest opinion, the Stinger DOES NOT sound like the Magnaflow. It is "deep" sounding like the Magnaflow, but does not sound like it at all. The tips are beautiful, the clamps are top-notch, it's just a great cat-back system worth every penny. I am extremely satisfied with that purchase.

Orange Poison

Established Member
Originally posted by Poisonous Mods
Dang Tony. :nonono:

Obviously Donald has no sound bite so its really going to be a hard deal for you to get a good idea.

Tony check it out locally before i take a dive. Thought some one offered Robert but it was like 2 hours up north of us....sounds like a road trip to me for u guys.

Poisonous,

Are you on my butt again? See, I told ya....you should of applied for that moderator position so you can have me banned.....hehe

Nah, Don is cool.....Besides he likes talking about exhausts like I do.....he even told me it's cool to ask questions....so there!

Users who are viewing this thread