I'm gonna dyno next weekend.... what's SAE?

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
I'm aware of the difference between flywheel and rearwheel horsepower, but I've seen people asking if the numbers are SAE corrected and I'm not sure what that means.

Thanks for your help.

Also, first post. Hello everyone!

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
The power (and coorisponding dyno readings) are effected by a variety of factors such as air temp and humidity. Corrected dyno numbers take the raw numbers along with the air temp and humidity and give you a "corrected" number.

I.E.- your car will make a lot more power on a dry 50 degree day than a humid 90 degree day. it would be impractical or impossible to compare numbers of different cars because the weather is different every day all across the country.

If the air temp is below 70 (i believe), the "reported" power figure is reduced more and more as the temprature drops. If it's over 70, the power figure is corrected upwards. Same with humidity. A correction factor of 1.00 is perfect- no adjustment. I believe a .96 means the reported power figure was reduced by 4%. This compensates for the colder air and evels the playing field regardless of weather factors.

If you take the corrected number and multiply it by the correction factor, you'll get the actual hp/tq you made that day on that dyno, but it's worthless when comparing to other people with the same car.

Users who are viewing this thread