I'm convinced people are listening to my phone calls.

DarkMach1

Established Member
I've noticed this as well with things I've searched for online pop up on tv, online and radio ads.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
And then there are Amazon's Echo and Google's Home Controller. And all those attached devices they control....lights, tv, entries, heating, etc. Yep, I guess we shouldn't be surprised about some of these "strange" occurrences.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
My step sister just posted on FB, claiming the same. She posted a screenshot of the ad and said she had only ever mentioned it on the phone while talking to a friend.

I still don't know though. I know the apps have the permission, I wouldn't put it past them, but she might have also forgot a google search or a FB click she made.

I'm tempted to install the official FB app, and then make some calls to something like a bakery, asking about generic prices for a wedding cake. If I started seeing wedding cake ads, I would be 100% on board for this.

jaxbusa

Established Member
My work provides everyone with a laptop. A few years ago we all thought it was weird that the new computers all had web cameras even though we would never use it. A few people put tape or clips over the top that covered the cameras. About a month later a supervisor went around and checked our computer cameras to see if they were covered. I asked him why it mattered. He said," The cameras are burning up if they're covered, and I was asked to check every camera." I keep dark electrical tape on my at all times now, even my home computers.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
My work provides everyone with a laptop. A few years ago we all thought it was weird that the new computers all had web cameras even though we would never use it. A few people put tape or clips over the top that covered the cameras. About a month later a supervisor went around and checked our computer cameras to see if they were covered. I asked him why it mattered. He said," The cameras are burning up if they're covered, and I was asked to check every camera." I keep dark electrical tape on my at all times now, even my home computers.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Wut lol

sutyak

it's soo-tack
Established Member
First, you're not crazy. Second, there are ways to curb this. In your Android phone (depending on model), go to Settings -> Application Manager -> App permissions (3 dot menu at top-right), then set your app permissions manually. This may break stuff, but the way I see it, if an app requires more permissions that I want to allow, then I don't need it. Obviously some things like your Camera will need a microphone to record videos.
Consider using apps like Facebook through the browser in your phone instead of the Facebook app. It will have far fewer permissions, but it will limit some capabilities. Perhaps you don't need to live-stream duck lips through the FB app? :D
I'm sure these data-sharing companies LOVE Apple users because they think Apple is infallible. Apple may be better at handling privacy issues, but don't assume they are perfect.
In your personal computer, if you use Firefox or Chrome you can install plugins to limit the data tracking between sites. I recommend installing both Ghostery and Adblock Pro. You may find Ghostery causes some features of website not to work. This is because either that feature has been recognized as unnecessary (and may need to be manually enabled), or more likely the feature is a data-mining tool under the guise of something else.
Good luck. Practice safe hex.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
HA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
That show IS awesome. Swanson was the man! lol
Fixed. I never get tired of Office and Parks and Rec re-runs.

Im not surprised about the whole ads thing, I dont have FB on my phone at all and never will after they changed the whole messenger thing. I use my mobile browser and even then, it only gets used to contact family members and friends outside of my State.

Far as google, I turned off my ads crap on my account. I dont get personal ads in any app anymore, im sure they still collect sutff though but less creepier with me not knowing.

Last edited:

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Instagram has permission to access the microphone on your phone unless you shut that off in your settings.
Pretty sure in doing that, you wont be able to record vids. If you dont care about vids then its fine else you have to turn it off and on everytime you record something.

Branhammer

Established Member
LMAO it absolutely blows my mind how some of you guys take ANY AND ALL situations like this and make it a "tin-foil hat" scenario as if shit like this has NEVER happened before. It must be nice to have so much trust in this crazy world.

That shows just how arrogant we, as Americans, can be sometimes. So many of us believe that our nation is SO superior to every other one that exists or ever has existed, that there's no way the kind of things that have destroyed EVERY other major nation/empire in the history of mankind would EVER happen to the U.S.

I mean I love my country and I will spend another 20+year serving it, but some people act as if we're just so astoundingly superior that we have literally transcended human nature itself. "Nah there's no corruption. This IS 'MURICA!!"

Between a GOVT who literally demanded a back-door to hack cell phones (did we all forget about that?) and corporations that rake in more money and have more power that you can wrap your minds around, yeah, someone is ****ing listening to you, probably multiple people lol. I don't worry about it because I have nothing to hide. I just kind of expect it and accept it.

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Man, I thought I was crazy. Oddly reassuring that others are having similar experiences.

Just after Christmas took the family to Michigan Ave to do some shopping. I walked into Lego store and was ogling the Porsche GT3RS model. Told wife that I wanted it, etc. That night on my Insta feed comes 6 pictures of this same model. I've never searched for it before or used my phone/PC to check on it. Only looked at it in store. Guessing they used RFID chip on box and my GPS/Cell local to figure it out. Not cool bruh...

Also was reading today about how border patrol can search (with no probable cause) phone and computer when crossing border. Fun times we live in. I have nothing to hide but that doesn't mean I'm OK with what should be illegal search.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
First, you're not crazy. Second, there are ways to curb this. In your Android phone (depending on model), go to Settings -> Application Manager -> App permissions (3 dot menu at top-right), then set your app permissions manually. This may break stuff, but the way I see it, if an app requires more permissions that I want to allow, then I don't need it. .

Go figure, FB has microphone permission...

Attachments

• facebook use.png
    facebook use.png
    136.1 KB · Views: 84

Coiled03

Established Member
Can you shut off individual permissions within an app? I thought it was an all-or-nothing scenario.

nxhappy

Established Member
I just read that some home security cameras are using chinese servers with live feed and audio. You DL the app, and your phone gives them complete access. scary ****ing shit.

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
I had an advertising vendor come in and he showed me some examples of the tracking they do to target customers. He was showing me a live feed of what people were looking at and what their habits online were. you have no privacy online. If you are a social media person you really are screwed. They can see everything! I asked the guy how the hell is this even legal? There is a reason even Mark Zuckerberg covers his mic and camera on his laptop.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
This is why you are suppose to clear your search history and "cookies" like once a week. People track what you do on the internet. Hence why you always see ads. This has been around for years. On top of that some online companies will actually raise the price on certain things if they see you've been searching it for awhile.

Users who are viewing this thread