I'm back.....943rwhp rebuild

black13 gt500

Established Member
Awesome numbers J. I'm putting my car on the dyno on Feb 8th to see how it does after my fuel system with the built motor with a bps ported trinity and a Whipple elliptical . I made 842 783 and was running out of fuel at 6200 hard. I installed a Fore triple 465 setup and had Lund remote tune it. Took it to MIR to a track rental on its one and only pass it ran a 10.09 @ 147 on 20'' MTs with the 4,10s. and blew up the Torsen diff on the next pass. Ran outta gear at the 1300ft mark.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Were you able to use the Shelby Mike intercooler setup or did you have to use the stock setup? I'm trying to find a way to make it work with my whipple setup but it looks like it's gonna be tight
No, I did not feel it was a big enough increase from the
stock setup, at least with the AN 12 or 16 that I bought it with, for the hassle.
It would have been near impossible with the TVS and BPS auxiliary idler I run, and I feel the increased belt wrap is more important for me.
I'll be running 1" line from the rear ice tank but unfortunately keeping the stock 3/4" cooler lines for most of the system, keeping it close the stock.
An important point for the intercooler system is that hose size is always a bigger is better deal.
The cheaper push lock/garden/marine hose is easy to find in 1" or 1.25" and bigger than most expensive AN fittings/
Braided lines.
I run all 1.25" with my turbo LX air/water cooler, but not easy to do with street style GT500 system, especially considering the bottler neck in/out of the stock lower intake cooler.
Bad ass build you have coming, good luck.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I don't know what to say J but WOW. You have been busy this last past year.
Very impressed with your build and your mancave.
I may have to take a drive up to Summit MP this summer if you plan on being there.
I never knew the `66 was a Hertz,,sweet!
Thank you sir, I can't wait to restore the '66, it's on the 5-10 year plan.
I'd definitely like to meet up at the Summit show. After all I still want to buy you a beer for helping me locate the dealer I ordered this beast from :)
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Awesome numbers J. I'm putting my car on the dyno on Feb 8th to see how it does after my fuel system with the built motor with a bps ported trinity and a Whipple elliptical . I made 842 783 and was running out of fuel at 6200 hard. I installed a Fore triple 465 setup and had Lund remote tune it. Took it to MIR to a track rental on its one and only pass it ran a 10.09 @ 147 on 20'' MTs with the 4,10s. and blew up the Torsen diff on the next pass. Ran outta gear at the 1300ft mark.
Wow buddy, I must have missed your sig or past post on the mods and track results!
Looks like us foxbody drag guys think alike! :)
My brother was already busting my balls that I'll prob run 10.00@150, or at least have to keep it there without a cage. Def NOT willing to cage this car, but I want to trap 145-150 and encouraged by your 147.
A stick car trapping 150mph is an awesome top end charge.
Our combos are very similar, too bad you didn't have the extra 20' in the 1320.
As much as I love my 4.10s, I'm worried they're too much at the stripe on street DRs. I plan to run 28" bias plys that should be 29" with tire growth at 150mph but we shall see.
-J

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
nice! thats impressive almost 1000rwhp with a lil 2.3 tvs? wow its a bigg kb or whipple away from 1000+rwhp, it would be so hard for me and make me mad to fall short of the 1000rwhp oh so close lol

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Wow awesome power man, Big congrats, I'm still kicking myself in the ass for selling my Shelby and not building the engine. But I'll definitely be buying another 13/14 soon. Either way enjoy your new power

36382mm

Established Member
How do you like the manners of the whipple elliptical on the street, if you've even had it on the street, (idling, part throttle etc) and did your tuner find it difficult to tune. I'm going back and forth between the vmp 72mm and the whipple.

ROBBY92COUPE

Established Member
Congrats on the build man looks real and those are some real good numbers I built my motor with jdm rods plan on running a 4.0 whipple on my car

centerforce

Established Member
Very impressive build and garage, too! We'd love to see a video of the car in action! What clutch are you currently using?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Thank you Centerforce corporation :)
I'm running a 'seasoned' SPEC SS. I say seasoned because it came out of a members car here (BIRDOC) that made 1200rwhp and ran 8.60s with it. I bought it with a full rebuild kit, and a friend who works locally at Exedy, tested the pressure plate and inspected it, giving it a thumbs up to use. Two funny things to the clutch story.
First, is Birdoc thought it was an ST trim, but the rebuild kit didn't match the clutch. The rebuild kit was for the higher power ST, but the clutch he ran was a base SS:
http://www.specclutches.com/704860/
So, he ran hard and the base clutch held big power.
Second, the shop installed the SS clutch without the new ST discs or FW insert because they said it looked fine (as did Exedy). So, I still have a rebuild kit to upgrade to ST trim.
If it chatters or I have issues, I'll probably rebuild it as the ST discs are full faced, compared to the puck style SS, and the ST are supposed to hold more power and have better drive ability.
I personally experienced that when I swapped my puck style SPEC stage 3 for a full faced stage 3+ disc, back when my Foxbody LX was a stick car.
Back in '07 the LX put down 865/901 on this same dyno, ironaically, so now my street car has more than my race car (LX since upgraded and makes more power).

Anyway, I've had good success with a centerforce clutch when my LX was a bolt on 302, and I've heard good results from your DYAD clutch for our GT500s.
What exact clutch would you recommend for my GT500 if I don't like the SPEC?
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
J

I don't know how hard you can turn the SC without causing a lot of heating of the air as it is being pushed through the SC. Mathematically it is screaming with your current pulley combo at 22,736 RPM for an airflow of 1847 CFM. The dyno graph is showing a drop in boost, which is good for a heat reduction of the air, but it is also telling you the engine wants more air above 4500 engine RPM. This thing will produce some big power with some more air. I believe it will respond very well to the NOS above 4500 RPM, if you're willing to take the risk to do it. I wouldn't bring it on until you get to the RPM area in the power band where boost is dropping.

The intake mods are designed to reduce the pressure differential above the intercooler versus below it. This in of itself will help reduce IAT2 temperatures, because of less heat in the air before it enters the intercooler, due to a lower boost number above the cooler.

The numbers are impressive for the LIL SC you'e using.
Screaming is good right? :)
Before the dyno, the tuner and I were discussing if the new R case would allow a clean boost curve that carried closer to redline.
So, as you point out, you can see the 2.3 run out of steam around 4500rpm, but it still makes good power. Just a 4.0 liter blower would have carried the boost curve straight through and prob make another 200rwhp.
And you must have read my mind, the intake is plumbed for NOS....
Stay tuned.
-J

centerforce

Established Member
Anyway, I've had good success with a centerforce clutch when my LX was a bolt on 302, and I've heard good results from your DYAD clutch for our GT500s.
What exact clutch would you recommend for my GT500 if I don't like the SPEC?
-J

The DYAD would definitely be the way to go for a high-power build like this. Its smooth engagement and light pedal pressure makes is easily streetable, but can also withstand being punished at the track. If you happen to have any questions later on that we can answer, please dont hesitate to call us or send a PM over!

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I bought it ported from Birdoc, his build was all over here, I think Slawko but might be BES?
I improved it dramatically with the weld/port around the bypass shelf, see pics above on how much it opened up intercooler.
My brother just finished my trunk ice tank, and I'm looking forward to that helping as well.
Dyno numbers are fun but I can't wait to see how it traps on the strip. It did 137mph before the ported blower.
-J

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
Hey J! Glad to see you're doing well in spite of the horsepower addiction thing. Cars look great and wow on that garage! Like Bill said maybe we will see you at the track this year - SCMC track day at Keystone ( not scheduled yet but I can pass along the dates once they're set ). For some unknown reason your '66 is my favorite!?!?

Poisonous West

Established Member
I improved it dramatically with the weld/port around the bypass shelf, see pics above on how much it opened up intercooler.
My brother just finished my trunk ice tank, and I'm looking forward to that helping as well.
-J

Hi biminiLX, I live in Detroit and I am looking for the same work to modify the intake manifold for the Bigun intercooler. I have the intake manifold out already. Can you please tell me where I can get that done?

I talked to you before on the phone but not sure you still remember me or not.

Users who are viewing this thread