• Welcome to SVTPerformance!
American Muscle
ATTENTION!
You may experience intermittent issues while accessing the site over the next 60-90 minutes, as we perform maintenance and upgrades.

I'm about done with AM.

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by LDC2335, May 3, 2020.

1. LDC2335

LDC2335 Active Member Established Member

Been out of the mustang game for a few years, but even when I bought from Americantrucks I never had an issue.

I've been reading all the horror stories but other than weird stuff like getting the wrong instructions in my rear diffuser box, I still hadn't had any issues. I held my breath while my wheel and tire package came, and even then they arrived in perfect condition. Then I bought some brakes that said in stock 2-3 day shipping. They dropped shipped from the manufacturer and took three times as long to get here.

I bought a Rev-x VMP tuner and waited a week for it to get here. I was fine considering the covid crap going on. When I got it, it was the tuner itself and a bunch of cables thrown in a plain cardboard box with minimal padding. No sct box, no manuals, nothing. I plugged it in to a USB and sure a shit it had another car's VIN loaded. Then when I tried to connect to wifi I got a FATAL MEMORY LEAK DETECTED error and it froze.

Paid good money for a tuner and they sent me a used, defective unit. What the hell. Even when I called to get a replacement, they started talking about ME doing a warranty claim with sct. I said hell no, send me what I paid for.

Sorry, long winded rant over. Like a kid on Christmas morning opening a broke toy.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Zutz2v and Dusten like this.
  2. sonicx

sonicx Norwegian Southern Established Member

They don’t care @LDC2335. I’m sure you saw my thread about the garage service I received & went unresolved from AM/Bama. All they care is to lure customers in, take your money and they spit you out. They don’t post up in their own sub-forum nor respond either here.

DSG2003Mach1 and me32 like this.
  3. me32

me32 BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS Moderator

Hope you paid with a Credit card and do a charge back.

4. Roots-type

Roots-type +displacement Established Member

Last time i spoke with someone there, it was clear there was no agenda to win customers over with service or price matching. Needless to say, my $500 was spent at amazon.

Am got too big for their britches, now it's coming to bite them in the arse! The age old story...

me32 likes this.
  5. LDC2335

They are shipping me a new one. If it's the same story I'll get a refund and go with LMR and Lund. AM usually has a better selection and prices than the competition, sometimes worth the risk. This time it did not pay off. I'm confident Vmp is going to get me a solid tune, but first I need a f'n tuner that's new and works.

Just bullshit. Had I been less knowledgeable, they could have easily got away with it.

6. BlckBox04

BlckBox04 I am the liquor Premium Member Established Member

I've made my last purchase from them also.
    I waited a week to get the wrong nitrous kit that was even shipped by the manufacturer.
    Got the email for an exchange, got everything shipped and have to send them the tracking number in order to get MY CORRECT PARTS
    Waited on hold for 30 minutes, finally someone picks up the phone and immediately hangs up on me.

7. PC03GT

PC03GT Well-Known Member Established Member

They've slowly became the Auto Zone or Advanced Auto parts of the mustang community

Blackedout likes this.
  8. CobraBob

CobraBob Authorized Vendor Premium Member Established Member Single Barrel Sirs

AM has really, really gone downhill over the past few years in so many ways. I don't know, maybe they got too big. I remember back a few years ago when their customer service was outstanding; back when they had a representative who spent a lot of time here on SVTP. He helped a lot of folks here, and they appreciated his help. He's long gone, likely because AM didn't think it necessary to pay someone to monitor a forum. Once he left SVTP, I noticed the customer service complaints starting to mount. AM continues to tumble. Sad, because at one time they were near the top of the heap.

9. sonicx

sonicx Norwegian Southern Established Member

There’s no excuse. Especially in a after-market world where customer service is one of the deciding factors when you have multiple retailers whom all sell like or similar products. What’s going to stand out? Both ends of the spectrum (really good & really bad) Their pricing hasn’t stayed competitive either. Especially with their lack luster service. I don’t think they need someone monitoring forums but cmon they need someone who can return emails in less than 2 weeks and have someone actually pickup the phones. They’re nice as long as they haven’t gotten your money then it’s a different experience if you need help.

10. 03CRUSHER

03CRUSHER Premium Member Premium Member Established Member

I bought a new set of lug nuts the last time I ordered from AM. Assumed they were defect-free and in new condition as stated. Didn’t get around to opening the box for a few months but when I went to install them, one of the nuts didn’t have the barrel threaded! Called them up and they offered to give me a discount on a whole new set of lug nuts. WTF...
    Not a big deal since I wound up tapping the thread myself but on principle that is total bullshit. That order was placed early 2017 and they have lost my business indefinitely.

11. Roots-type

Roots-type +displacement Established Member

The old Am would have sent out a new bag that same day for free. Had a similar issue where they sent me the wrong lug nuts. Called them up and they sent the correct ones out same day and didn't even want the others back!

They don't do free shipping, price match or recognize forum discounts anymore either. Those were the things, combined with their service, that MADE Am. Ahh the good old days.

12. ox white

ox white Member Established Member

Yes, I agree AM sucks, but be aware that LMR just started charging sales tax. Ebay is my go-to now unfortunately.

13. LDC2335

Damn, that sucks.. Even out of state? I was pissed when amazon did that shit too.

Well what's left? CJ's website is garbage to navigate and selection is lacking... Lethal's prices are too high, and they charge shipping (IIrc).

Sometimes I use summit because their warehouse is close and I get stuff almost next day. I use Amazon and ebay alot too.

Just wish AM would wake the f up.

14. ox white

Yes, even out of state. That means plus 9.2% for me.

15. stang910

stang910 Active Member Established Member

Plain and simple, don't do any business with American Muscle. If they screw up they will expect you to eat it. Things are fine until your the one getting screwed. I placed an order at the beginning of the year with them and after what they put me through it will be the last order they get from me. Had to get PayPal to refund my money.

me32 likes this.
  16. CobraBob

eBay collects sales tax now, as well. For most state sales. Sucks.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  17. ox white

Placed about five orders on ebay in the last three weeks. No sales tax on anything.

18. CobraBob

eBay DOES collect sales tax when the state you reside in requires it. The key is whether or not you live in a marketplace responsibility state. Here is how it works with eBay. First the eBay link. Followed by the detail I cut and pasted.

Paying tax on eBay purchases

Items delivered to a United States address
    For items shipped to a US address, the tax responsibility falls into the following three categories:

Marketplace responsibility
    Marketplace responsibility refers to states where eBay collects and remits sales tax on behalf of sellers.

If your shipping address is in one of the marketplace responsibility states within the US, applicable sales tax will be collected by eBay and included in the order total at checkout. To find out if your address is in a marketplace responsibility state, you can find the full list of states below.

Seller responsibility
    If your shipping address isn't in one of the marketplace responsibility states, but the seller has a responsibility to charge sales tax, the applicable taxes will be included at checkout.

Buyer responsibility
    If neither eBay nor the seller is required to collect sales tax on your purchase, you may be required to pay taxes directly to the state or your local tax authority. For more information we recommend that you consult with your tax advisor.

19. bakers4v4_6

bakers4v4_6 Member Established Member

just called to get prices on a set of front runners and felt like i was talking to the kid at autozone asking what year and make the car was over and over... Not understanding that it wasnt gonna help and then said yea we dont have anything like that and im like okay but im looking at the mickey thompson on your site as we speak...thanks anyway

20. CobraBob

Not surprised, @bakers4v4_6. Service has nose dived badly. You have better choices.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

me32 likes this.